Post-Game Talk: Colorado @ Montreal | October 18th, 5PM MT | We need Roy to play in net

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Regarding the talk in the other thread, it doesn't really matter whose in net Tuesday. The team in front of the goalie is the problem right now.

It is probably time to reunite ROR with Duchene and Iginla. I really do think Iginla and Duchene are starting to develop some chemistry right now so I'd keep them together.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm going to be the same broken record as I have been - another putrid effort from the Landeskog line, which was centered by both O'Reilly and MacKinnon. Five shots out of the trio, who have only combine for two goals this season.

O'Reilly went from scoring 28 goals as a left wing to playing exclusively center and right wing; MacKinnon had 66 points as an 18-year-old right wing who's now playing the majority of his shifts at center.

Something has to give. With all of the personnel and position changes, it's not difficult to see why the season has begun a train wreck.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think we need to replace the whole defense. Stuart has been fine the last two games. He just needs to settle down. He's good at winning puck battles and as long as he keeps it simple with the puck he's fine. Hejda will be better if he plays it safer. He can't be the second defenseman back all the time. Guenin should be replaced with Redmond because in the worst case scenario both are AHL caliber and at least Redmond can skate and pass. More probable Redmond proves to be a good third pairing defender.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm glad Roy brought up Holden by name for his play on Subban's second goal. He's attached to the guy's hip and not watching/reading the play at all. Just no awareness as he completely turns his back to the puck carrier.

Now Holden isn't the main problem on this team but maybe it's time to do something about him on the PP. He's on the top unit when all he's really good for is sneaking in and trying to get a tap in. They try to force those passes but it doesn't work.

Roy refusing to go away from the even strength lines even on the PP makes no sense to me. At least put Duchene and O'Reilly together for that. It's one thing if Landeskog-O'Reilly-MacKinnon are too good to split up on the PP but that's not the case, they've been atrocious. Can't even set up.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
When Holden isn't chipping in 10 goals, which he wont this season, there isnt many things left about him that are attractive.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This isn't a I told you so post but I was deeply concerned in the pre-season as were others and that was brushed off by many. The same problems still continue. I truly think this team will miss the playoffs.

As much as it pains me to say it the regression is real, and its going to last awhile. I can see what they want to do with the team, and what they want to build, but it's not there yet. I think they'll turn it around but with how tight the west is will not make it easy to climb back.

Even when the Avs were in the Succo years I can't remember them struggling so much against eastern conference teams. How some see this as a short term problem I don't understand, but hope you're right.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This isn't a I told you so post but I was deeply concerned in the pre-season as were others and that was brushed off by many. The same problems still continue. I truly think this team will miss the playoffs.

As much as it pains me to say it the regression is real, and its going to last awhile. I can see what they want to do with the team, and what they want to build, but it's not there yet. I think they'll turn it around but with how tight the west is will not make it easy to climb back.

Even when the Avs were in the Succo years I can't remember them struggling so much against eastern conference teams. How some see this as a short term problem I don't understand, but hope you're right.

This team is regressing. The stats said they would. It's the result of an overrated top 6 and the worst D in the NHL. But it doesn't have to happen - there are ways of changing this. Management needs to make some bold moves and identify the pieces that are producing on offense and contributing on defense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wouldn't surprise me if Landeskog indeed has a hand/wrist injury. He usually has hard accurate passes and this year they're just off. He doesn't shoot much and when he does they're not hard or accurate shots.

Perhaps it's something that will heal by itself, but his puck handling is a bit off at the moment. O'Reilly has been really sloppy with the puck too, compared to what I expect from him.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm going to be the same broken record as I have been - another putrid effort from the Landeskog line, which was centered by both O'Reilly and MacKinnon. Five shots out of the trio, who have only combine for two goals this season.

O'Reilly went from scoring 28 goals as a left wing to playing exclusively center and right wing; MacKinnon had 66 points as an 18-year-old right wing who's now playing the majority of his shifts at center.

Something has to give. With all of the personnel and position changes, it's not difficult to see why the season has begun a train wreck.
MacKinnon had plenty of good games at center last year. I remember the Toronto game where he scored our only two goals, as well as the Buffalo game where he had 3 points at center. And we've all seen ROR be successful at center. I don't think it's their positions, they just aren't playing well. I do want ROR back with Duchene, though.

And they aren't trading Landeskog, to whoever keeps suggesting it. Not even close.

Winchester has been placed on IR officially, per the Avs site. I hope they call up a forward from Lake Erie to play Tuesday.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't think we need to replace the whole defense. Stuart has been fine the last two games. He just needs to settle down. He's good at winning puck battles and as long as he keeps it simple with the puck he's fine. Hejda will be better if he plays it safer. He can't be the second defenseman back all the time. Guenin should be replaced with Redmond because in the worst case scenario both are AHL caliber and at least Redmond can skate and pass. More probable Redmond proves to be a good third pairing defender.

Very well said.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I believe management made errors this summer, thinking we were close to contenders. They traded our picks for old players and I just thought we could have waited more to do that. We had a fast young team doing well, no reason to change it by bringing some old slow vets.

It just feels like they've tried everything they could to get leadership for a playoff run, but we may not even reach the playoff. They clearly overestimated where the team was. They probably didn't realize Varly was basically the only reason why we won that much. Honestly we were a middle of the pack team last year in terms of on-ice play. I think we went too fast. Should have waited another year or two letting our kids develop together.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
MacKinnon had plenty of good games at center last year. I remember the Toronto game where he scored our only two goals, as well as the Buffalo game where he had 3 points at center. And we've all seen ROR be successful at center. I don't think it's their positions, they just aren't playing well. I do want ROR back with Duchene, though.

And they aren't trading Landeskog, to whoever keeps suggesting it. Not even close.

Winchester has been placed on IR officially, per the Avs site. I hope they call up a forward from Lake Erie to play Tuesday.

One or the other needs to stick to center. It seems like every other shift they are flip flopping. That is not good for the chemistry of a line that seems to have none.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think Stuart, in a third pairing role, has proven to be fine. He's clearly not a top pairing defender, but on the third pairing, he's OK. He just needs someone who can skate with him (Redmond).

The issue is that the other two left defensemen we have are also 3rd pairing guys who are not good skaters. The left side of the defense is far and away the biggest weakness on this team and something obviously needs to be done.

I personally hope they dump Hejda on some team for a pick and either just play Wilson or give Siemens a shot. At some point, we've got to see what Siemens can do at the NHL level and how close he really may be. With Hejda and Wilson as UFA's after this year, he's got to get some NHL games this year to see where he's really at and if he can step in full time next year.

One or the other needs to stick to center. It seems like every other shift they are flip flopping. That is not good for the chemistry of a line that seems to have none.
This I would agree with, and I think it should be MacKinnon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the reason they are flip-flopping so much is because of face-offs. When it's on the left-side, O'Reilly is taking them to be on his strong side and then just sticking to centre ice. Same thing when it's on the right side for MacKinnon. I think it's Roy's way of trying to keep both guys happy since they both clearly prefer centre, and Roy has made it clear he wants Mitchell as his 3C. Wrong move IMO, but it's what it looks like at the moment

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Wouldn't surprise me if Landeskog indeed has a hand/wrist injury. He usually has hard accurate passes and this year they're just off. He doesn't shoot much and when he does they're not hard or accurate shots.

Perhaps it's something that will heal by itself, but his puck handling is a bit off at the moment. O'Reilly has been really sloppy with the puck too, compared to what I expect from him.

Been thinking that too. Lots of inaccurate passes, weak stick, sloppy puck work.

O'Reilly seems to be a lot more consistent now though. I think both he and MacK have really cut down on the sloppy plays the past 2 or 3 games. Good too see that Tanguay isn't a complete turnover machine anymore as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Faceoffs are another big problem. All of our centers are below 50%. Mitchell has been pretty good since coming back though.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
It's taking longer than I expected to find an identity without Stastny. I have faith we'll be okay long term, but it's still a little disconcerting.

Losing both goalies is harsh, but hey, at least they're not the Nuggets or Rockies. If they were we'd already have lost MacKinnon, Lando, Duchene, and Hejda.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's taking longer than I expected to find an identity without Stastny. I have faith we'll be okay long term, but it's still a little disconcerting.

Losing both goalies is harsh, but hey, at least they're not the Nuggets or Rockies. If they were we'd already have lost MacKinnon, Lando, Duchene, and Hejda.

The season is young, plenty of time for that.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Is Varlamov, Berra, or Pickard the projected starter vs the Panthers? (I realize Tuesday is a few days away still, but I can't really find info on how serious Varlamov's injury is)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad