Post-Game Talk: Colorado @ Montreal | October 18th, 5PM MT | We need Roy to play in net

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Didn't catch the game. Jiggy say anything interesting Avalanche related on HNIC?

FoppaForsberg*

The start to the season has been incredibly frustrating, the defence is just pathetic, Oiler level bad. On paper it should be equal to, or even a bit better then last years team, yet it's so much worse. Hopefully it's just a chemistry issue, losing Stastny was huge, he was the glue of our top 6 and not to mention he was one of, if not our best defensive center. However the lack of chemistry with the forwards is effecting our defence too IMO.

However, I may be completely alone on this, but I think Sakic/Roy's plan is a lot more long term.
Bringing in all these vets for "leadership" and "experience", Briere, Igina, Stuart, Talbot is iMO a long term thing to instil all our young guys with mentorship and to have guys to lean on with such a young team. Having a few vets like that is fine, but to have 3 guys in the top 9/ top 4 that are clearly on the decline/ shells of their former selfs isn't the smartest way to build a team.

We bring in Brad Stuart on the day of free agency, why? Well a lot seem to think, and I do too, that he's the Hejda replacement and in a few years down the road will be the experienced, Stanley cup winning, 3rd paring vet that Roy seems to love.

And that's it? that's the only move that they decide to make? My only rational with this is that with the defence they very much have a long term view, let Siemens and Bigras develop to eventually take over Hejda, Holden, Stuart roles.

However, I've never been sold on Roy or Sakic, most trades they've made to date (except the Tanguay & maybe Berra deal)have been bad or IMO.

Downie for Talbot: Bad. A guy like Downie is badly missed on this team, just a little pit bull that stands up for his teammates and hits everything that moves. He looks great playing for Pittsburgh and for only 1M is a steal, while I really do like Talbot a lot, a 3rd/4th line PK vet like Talbot can be easily obtained in free agency or for picks vs giving up a versatile guy like Downie.

Parenteau for Briere: Bad. Why was this done? 2 years @4M vs 1 year @4M? At the time of the trade I thought this was a big factor, rebuild the defence in the summer of 2015. But with the Stuart resigning I find this less likely. Parenteau has always been able to rack up points, and when the inevitable happens and injuries occur he would be able to slide up to the top 6. I've also heard Roy say something like Parenteau was not happy about not being top 6, yeah, well tough luck, work your way up the lineup.

6th and 2nd round pick for Stuart: Don't mind it. I actually like Stuart, he's solid on the PK, is quicker then I thought, and when he plays a simple game he's pretty good. However, better options were out there to give up a 2nd.
Example: Josh Gorges went for a 2nd, at first I could rationalize not going after him because at the time of the Stuart deal it was 1 year of Stuart vs 4 years of Gorges, but now its 3 years of Stuart. And Gorges is younger, and better.

There's a lot of question marks when it comes to new management.

My two cents.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The start to the season has been incredibly frustrating, the defence is just pathetic, Oiler level bad. On paper it should be equal to, or even a bit better then last years team, yet it's so much worse. Hopefully it's just a chemistry issue, losing Stastny was huge, he was the glue of our top 6 and not to mention he was one of, if not our best defensive center. However the lack of chemistry with the forwards is effecting our defence too IMO.

However, I may be completely alone on this, but I think Sakic/Roy's plan is a lot more long term.
Bringing in all these vets for "leadership" and "experience", Briere, Igina, Stuart, Talbot is iMO a long term thing to instil all our young guys with mentorship and to have guys to lean on with such a young team. Having a few vets like that is fine, but to have 3 guys in the top 9/ top 4 that are clearly on the decline/ shells of their former selfs isn't the smartest way to build a team.

We bring in Brad Stuart on the day of free agency, why? Well a lot seem to think, and I do too, that he's the Hejda replacement and in a few years down the road will be the experienced, Stanley cup winning, 3rd paring vet that Roy seems to love.

And that's it? that's the only move that they decide to make? My only rational with this is that with the defence they very much have a long term view, let Siemens and Bigras develop to eventually take over Hejda, Holden, Stuart roles.

However, I've never been sold on Roy or Sakic, most trades they've made to date (except the Tanguay & maybe Berra deal)have been bad or IMO.

Downie for Talbot: Bad. A guy like Downie is badly missed on this team, just a little pit bull that stands up for his teammates and hits everything that moves. He looks great playing for Pittsburgh and for only 1M is a steal, while I really do like Talbot a lot, a 3rd/4th line PK vet like Talbot can be easily obtained in free agency or for picks vs giving up a versatile guy like Downie.

Parenteau for Briere: Bad. Why was this done? 2 years @4M vs 1 year @4M? At the time of the trade I thought this was a big factor, rebuild the defence in the summer of 2015. But with the Stuart resigning I find this less likely. Parenteau has always been able to rack up points, and when the inevitable happens and injuries occur he would be able to slide up to the top 6. I've also heard Roy say something like Parenteau was not happy about not being top 6, yeah, well tough luck, work your way up the lineup.

6th and 2nd round pick for Stuart: Don't mind it. I actually like Stuart, he's solid on the PK, is quicker then I thought, and when he plays a simple game he's pretty good. However, better options were out there to give up a 2nd.
Example: Josh Gorges went for a 2nd, at first I could rationalize not going after him because at the time of the Stuart deal it was 1 year of Stuart vs 4 years of Gorges, but now its 3 years of Stuart. And Gorges is younger, and better.

My two cents.

In certain situations. Has to be in the top 6, has to be a certain offensive style, and you don't get the sense he'll contribute much in a tough series where he gets leaned on a lot.

Keeping him meant they'd have to cater to that situation for two years for it to make sense. He also gave off a pretty strong sense that he wouldn't be happy on a 3rd line, which meant it could be a distraction to play him there and just wait for injuries.

Trading him for Briere means they only have to deal with him not being a great fit for one regular season, and then he'll be able to contribute in the playoffs during a tough series, and they can move on afterwards.

l Landeskog l

Landy 4 President
Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Was at the game tonight and I only two players really stood out for me. Dutchy and Pickard.
I also thought Talbot wasn't too bad. Landy and ROR were invisible. Didn't like Barrie at all. Especially when he blew a tire which led to the eventual GWG.

Pickard didn't really have a chance on any of the goals. Defence was brutal. However he did look shaky on a few easy shots. Let's a hell of a lot of rebounds imo. Dutchy was great out there. Really noticed his presence. Thank god he scored a goal at the end, he deserved one.

Iggy had many chances, couldn't finish at all. Least he had a helper.

All in all I thought we weren't bad. Had tones of chances but couldn't capitalize.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
chances were 10-12 against the habs.

but we had only the duchene goal in final 20 mins, not counting pps and the empty net situation. well habs didn't have many either but avs couldn't turn it on like they did so many times last year.

the chances have been around even since the first game. varlamov, and avs skill level should make them outscore the opposition most of the time this way. and that's with ROR being meh, landeskog being crap, iggy who hasn't woke up etc. inserting redmond should also help.

can't afford injuries this year though. the depth simply isn't good enough to handle it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Here is the situation that led up to the Cliche penalty that led to the equalizer.

FlawedMatureHowlermonkey.gif

There are so many basic mistakes. Hejda jumping up to pinch when he has zero chance of success. Barrie being so focused on taking/boxing out his guy that he completely misreads the situation and gets pulled away from the slot. Cliche pivots in the neutral zone and is basically done. Hejda lazily coasting back is just the cherry on the cake.

I've noticed Avs defenders have a tendency to just focus on their task and being oblivious to what happens around them. Holden was 100% focused on his guy on both the Subban and Kessel goals that he forgot to see how the situation developed. Perhaps it's a consequence of the man-on-man cover.

I think Roy is much more frustrated than he lets on publicly.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

My two cents.

I quite legitimately don't see how people can say Downie-for-Talbot was "bad"? They both produced roughly the same (Talbot actually scored more) and Talbot takes way less penalties compared to Downie. Downie's offensive ability has fallen off considerably. Talbot is way better for the Bottom-6 than Downie is/was and if we had kept Downie we would have saw his play deteriorate and no longer fit in the Top-6.

And as far as Briere for Parenteau...well I have a feeling that the extra $4M in cap-space is going to come in handy as soon as this year is over. And if we have to get through having Briere instead of Parenteau that's fine. Again Parenteau, while he was good offensively, was extremely lazy defensively. We all knew that and were happy to overlook it when he was playing well exceptionally. Problem was he didn't last year (and this was before the injuries).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Is it to early in the season to be calling a must win game?

I think Tuesday against Florida is a must win game. Team needs some confidence back desperately right now. Playing against a very weak Florida team, at home, after an abysmal start.

We've got to win. 2-4-1 doesn't look half as bad as a 1-5-1 start.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is it to early in the season to be calling a must win game?

I think Tuesday against Florida is a must win game. Team needs some confidence back desperately right now. Playing against a very weak Florida team, at home, after an abysmal start.

We've got to win. 2-4-1 doesn't look half as bad as a 1-5-1 start.

It is. It's not so much about 2 points or adding a win to the column. It's about a mentality and being able to bear down and get the job done to say enough is enough. At home against a team far less talented, there are no excuses.

On problem though is teams generally don't play well first home game back after a long road trip. But like I said, no excuses.

captaincheese

The BillDozer ~ PS4
Nov 1, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
Our bench communication was terrible this game. Wheres the tapping on the boards when a penalty has almost expired. These simple things cost us twice this game, and ultimately the game.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
There are so many basic mistakes. Hejda jumping up to pinch when he has zero chance of success. Barrie being so focused on taking/boxing out his guy that he completely misreads the situation and gets pulled away from the slot. Cliche pivots in the neutral zone and is basically done. Hejda lazily coasting back is just the cherry on the cake.

I've noticed Avs defenders have a tendency to just focus on their task and being oblivious to what happens around them. Holden was 100% focused on his guy on both the Subban and Kessel goals that he forgot to see how the situation developed. Perhaps it's a consequence of the man-on-man cover.

I think Roy is much more frustrated than he lets on publicly.

This. The Avs are so caught up in their assignments that they will just leave a guy with a wide open lane to the net, f it's not that player's assignment. It is so strange. I don't know if I like Man to Man. It hardly ever leads to situations were we outnumber the opposition in puck battles, which leads to spending so much time in our own zone. On paper it means should never be open, but as soon as one guy gets loose we are left in a bad situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad