Post-Game Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild l SERIES Discussion l Avs Lose Series 4-3

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Yeah, OT is exciting, I'll give you that because the next shot could win the game.

But I'm not in the group that believes just because it was a 1 goal game, it was an exciting.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Third game back and Cooke almost takes another guy out with a dirty hit. Only reason it won't be suspension worthy is Oduya narrowly avoided injury somehow even though he hit his face on the dasher.

Such a great "leader" he is routinely playing dirty. :shakehead

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Third game back and Cooke almost takes another guy out with a dirty hit. Only reason it won't be suspension worthy is Oduya narrowly avoided injury somehow even though he hit his face on the dasher.

Such a great "leader" he is routinely playing dirty. :shakehead

If it makes you feel any better, Cooke was "defending" Kane on the game 7 OT winner. He just kind of watched Kane skate around him to the puck after the weird bounce. It made me feel a little better, at least.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I take comfort in the fact that the '07 Penguins lost in the 1st round to Ottawa, and Crosby and Co. almost immediately went up from there. It was the losing experience they needed, and these Avs have the top-end talent to do exactly the same thing.

I expect slight regular season regression next season (from 3rd overall, who gives a ****), and then a much more determined post-season performance and hopefully no major injuries. This team is orchestrated to win big, and soon.

Thuro

Sep 27, 2006
Colorado
Cooke shouldn't even be playing any more...he had plenty of time to avoid an obvious boarding. I am gratified to see the Wild out of it...I didn't watch all of the last game, but it was atrocious how many penalties the Wild weren't called for.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cooke shouldn't even be playing any more...he had plenty of time to avoid an obvious boarding. I am gratified to see the Wild out of it...I didn't watch all of the last game, but it was atrocious how many penalties the Wild weren't called for.

It should be obvious why they struggled to get into the playoffs and then did so much better in the playoffs against skilled teams.

Regular season they actually call interference, where as they almost never did in the playoffs this year. The amount of interference, picks, and hooking and holding they did was staggering. Other teams do this on occasion but they don't rely on this to be successful like the Wild do. If they didn't they'd have better regular season records.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the Wild logo and uni's are awful. Worst in the league, IMO.

The Capitals colors and unis are worse IMO, but the Wild unis and logo are pretty horrendous.

Huh. I actually think the Caps jerseys are one of the few good ones to come out of the awful EDGE redesigns. Simple and evocative of the past without being a pure throwback. And I'm glad they went with red instead of some boring shade of blue.

The original Wylde jerseys were original and fun, it's only when they introduced those awful Christmas-esque thirds that eventually became their home jerseys that it went south. It's kind of ridiculous to me that not a single NHL team was wearing green as a primary color until Dallas switched back to them this year.

I really, really hope the new regime redesigns the jerseys for next season. Absolutely detest the current "armpit stripe" look.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Maybe not in style of play but all 7 were one goal games with 4 OTs and 3 late third period come backs is about as good as it gets.

You might be right. I might just be bitter we lost, too. I actually can't say I watched the other series as closely.

I wonder what it was like watching our series as a neutral party?

Last edited:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Huh. I actually think the Caps jerseys are one of the few good ones to come out of the awful EDGE redesigns. Simple and evocative of the past without being a pure throwback. And I'm glad they went with red instead of some boring shade of blue.
Agreed. Boston and Washington really came out ahead during the whole league wide redesign.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Haven't seen anyone bring this up (or I am blind), but you guys think Varlamov's struggles had to do with being overplayed in the regular season at all? Yes he stole Game 3, but besides that he wasn't in his top notch form. Even though Nino has an amazing shot, I still think it could have been stoppable.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Haven't seen anyone bring this up (or I am blind), but you guys think Varlamov's struggles had to do with being overplayed in the regular season at all? Yes he stole Game 3, but besides that he wasn't in his top notch form. Even though Nino has an amazing shot, I still think it could have been stoppable.

If 63 games is overplayed, then he needs to find a new profession or take a lot less and become a backup. He was in no way shape or form overplayed.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If 63 games is overplayed, then he needs to find a new profession or take a lot less and become a backup. He was in no way shape or form overplayed.

I don't think he has ever played that many games in a season. 63 + playoffs. That's a lot of games when you're used to 50-60 games max. Not to mention olympics. I think he might have a point here.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia

63 games aren't that much but he faced way too many shots. Not many of those 63 games were easy ones and that might have been an issue.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
63 games aren't that much but he faced way too many shots. Not many of those 63 games were easy ones and that might have been an issue.

That's a good point. For reference think about how the old regime gave Roy some easy games every now and then, and the Sacco regime gave other teams some pretty easy games on occasion not testing their goalie much. Then think how often that happened to Varly this year. Maybe it happened, but I can't remember any.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I remember what Roy said after Varly was chosen as team Russia represenative. He said it's difficult for a goalie to play great in both OG and playoffs. He recall 1998 and said that he wasn't himself in that year playoffs after he participated in OG in Nagano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad