Post-Game Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild l SERIES Discussion l Avs Lose Series 4-3

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Please continue here.

From now on ALL Series talk goes in here, line combos, PP woes, how good/bad we played, etc. We obviously can mention Injuries in here as well but only as they pertain to the Series itself, anything else more in depth will be taken to the appropriate thread.

As mentioned in another thread there's too much similar discussions going on in multiple threads, so we're going to try and corral it all to here.

What this thread IS NOT about:

-Not an OT Thread
-Not a "Babe" Thread
-Not a thread to Flame other posters (Wild or otherwise)
-Not a thread to wish injury on other players (this should go without saying)

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
it's officially time to panic.

Nah, we're good.

This is some of the best playoff experience our boys could get -- facing elimination.

We'll win, and be more prepared next round.

We'll know how it feels to face elimination, and how it feels to eliminate someone.

Good Stuff. The boys need this kind of experience. :nod:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Anybody else really appreciate Bordy's game last night? He really took advantage of the little ice time he had and played smart, simple hockey.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nah, we're good.

This is some of the best playoff experience our boys could get -- facing elimination.

We'll win, and be more prepared next round.

We'll know how it feels to face elimination, and how it feels to eliminate someone.

Good Stuff. The boys need this kind of experience. :nod:

I couldn't agree more. Well put.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
We played ten times better in their barn last night compared to 3 and 4, I think we can carry that momentum into game 7. If we just get up for this game, we should win 7 times out of 10.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
We played ten times better in their barn last night compared to 3 and 4, I think we can carry that momentum into game 7. If we just get up for this game, we should win 7 times out of 10.

The Avs have yet to get up for a game in this series. I'm expecting more of the same. And have no idea if we'll win or lose.

I think Minny carries the momentum from the win and saving their season tbh. Can't say it'll bring them the win though.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The Avs have yet to get up for a game in this series. I'm expecting more of the same. And have no idea if we'll win or lose.

I think Minny carries the momentum from the win and saving their season tbh. Can't say it'll bring them the win though.

I think they played really well in Game 2.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I wonder which reporter is going to ask Roy if the team is going to show up tomorrow.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Roy just said something is wrong with Hejda but it's not public and won't be disclosed until after the playoffs are over

Huis Clos*

A series win would be a huge positive for this young team. But even if they do win Chicago is going to tear them to pieces in the next round.

CrimsonPuma*

If anybody was listening to 104.3 this morning and heard Roy talk, it is pretty clear that Hejda is playing with some sort of major injury. Roy said when asked about the criticism of Hejda's play, that we will see once the playoffs are over.

Any ideas on what his injury could be? And if it is is so bad, why is Roy playing him? Gotta wonder if it's a hand injury with all of his blown clear attempts and dropped sticks.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's obvious Hejda is having issues. He's dropped his stick multiple times, flubbing passes non-stop, and playing poor in general. It's all because of an injury in a meaningless game too, which is disappointing.

Duchene's presence on the PP alone could be the difference next game.

CrimsonPuma*

It made a difference in Game 6.... just needed one more.

Dutchy's ability to do that spin move and open himself up down low is huge. I had almost forgot how skilled he is. Mackinnon had taken over that role but Dutch has just as much flare as Mack and Dutch is better down low.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
On Twitter people are supposedly saying that Roy is going to use McGinn-Hishon-Talbot as a line next game? If so I would assume that it means that Malone is sitting and we're going to get something like this tomorrow:

Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Hishon-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

Man...that addition of Duchene really helps out everywhere doesn't it? Puts O'Reilly back into a position that he had a Career Year in, moves Cliche and McLeod back to the 4th line and we put Hishon back in who I thought DID look better in his 2nd game than his 1st and puts him with some people more talented than Malone and Bordeleau.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
On Twitter people are supposedly saying that Roy is going to use McGinn-Hishon-Talbot as a line next game? If so I would assume that it means that Malone is sitting and we're going to get something like this tomorrow:

Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Hishon-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

Man...that addition of Duchene really helps out everywhere doesn't it? Puts O'Reilly back into a position that he had a Career Year in, moves Cliche and McLeod back to the 4th line and we put Hishon back in who I thought DID look better in his 2nd game than his 1st and puts him with some people more talented than Malone and Bordeleau.
Maybe Roy said that on his radio interview? Not sure, I didn't hear it, but I'd like it. Malone was pretty useless last night, made a lot of defensive zone mistakes. Hishon and Talbot played well together when they were put together in game 5, and I liked how McGinn and Talbot worked the corners last night.

Everyone seems to be real down on McGinn. If he's missing practices and skates, he's probably not 100% either.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm not trying to be "that" person, but I truly, deeply believe that the Avs will lose tomorrow. Of course I wish them to prove me wrong.

Duchene back in the line-up will provide a needed spark, but oh gosh. I can't see a win happening.

...I don't handle game 7's well...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It made a difference in Game 6.... just needed one more.

Dutchy's ability to do that spin move and open himself up down low is huge. I had almost forgot how skilled he is. Mackinnon had taken over that role but Dutch has just as much flare as Mack and Dutch is better down low.

What's crazy is he did that on a bum leg. I almost expected his knee to blow out right then and there.

If Duchene can play as good as last game, we put him with ROR/PAP all game instead of midway through the 2nd... we'll win. We had the better play in the final 50 minutes and had numerous chances that were flubbed or just missed their mark. The Duchy spin + pass was put into ROR's skates rather than on his stick, for instance. Plus the McGinn miss and the near PAP-redirect. Hell, even Stastny's redirect just missed the mark after a great goal by him (who knew he had those hands?).

We're the better team when healthy, we were the better team last game. Game 7 at home is ours. It's just a shame we had to get further banged up and not get any days off before the Hawks. If we lose it's going to be because we let the Wild win, everything is in our control now to go out and win this thing. Yeo has no idea how to shutdown both Duchy and MacK on separate lines, Roy will get great matchups at home, Varly will hold his own... just need the defense to do a better job (tired of them just weakly chipping it up the boards to a Wild player at any sign of pressure because they're turning it over when they don't... maybe the wingers need to go back and help more, I don't know).

Optimism, pass it on.

foppagirl, get with the program. Optimism!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's obvious Hejda is having issues. He's dropped his stick multiple times, flubbing passes non-stop, and playing poor in general. It's all because of an injury in a meaningless game too, which is disappointing.

And this is where I'm wondering if going after a guy like Mezaros, Gorges or whoever was available at the Trade Deadline, should have been given higher priority than Reto Berra.

Someone who could help out by becoming EJ's partner and giving Hejda less minutes...oh well, what's done is done, I can't keep thinking about that. Boy, oh boy...I sure hope that we see a DIFFERENT defense next year. I don't think coming into the season with

Hejda-EJ
Holden-Barrie
Wilson-Guenin/Benoit/Elliott/Whoever

Is something the Avs can afford to do. Ideally Holden is a bottom pairing Defender while getting use on the 2nd PP unit. I have been surprised with Wilson's game in the playoffs, while he's made mistakes he's certainly played A LOT better than he did in the regular season. Even if we just went out and acquired ONE Defenseman that is capable of playing on the Top pairing with EJ then our defense LOOKS a hell of a lot better with this:

New D-man-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Wilson

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
I'm not trying to be "that" person, but I truly, deeply believe that the Avs will lose tomorrow. Of course I wish them to prove me wrong.

Duchene back in the line-up will provide a needed spark, but oh gosh. I can't see a win happening.

I've kinda got the same feeling you do...just keep one thing in mind. Home ice isn't that big a deal until you get to a game 7. Roy mentioned in his press conference last night he was 0-6 on the road in game 7's and 7-1 at home.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Maybe Roy said that on his radio interview? Not sure, I didn't hear it, but I'd like it. Malone was pretty useless last night, made a lot of defensive zone mistakes. Hishon and Talbot played well together when they were put together in game 5, and I liked how McGinn and Talbot worked the corners last night.

Everyone seems to be real down on McGinn. If he's missing practices and skates, he's probably not 100% either.

Yeah, apologies, he supposedly said this in his Radio Interview...and I do follow a fair amount of Denver-area Avs fans on Twitter and if they're all saying it then I would believe it.

I like the IDEA behind it, most definitely, but also am concerned because of the fact that Hishon no doubt needs to be doing whatever he can to put on weight this Summer, he got a little feisty last game he played but he was also knocked around a bit too easy. But playing with McGinn and Talbot could do wonders for him

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I don't know how the game will go, but I at least feel better than after the last road game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad