GDT: Colorado Avalanche @ Ottawa Senators

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One thing that jumped out at me is that Brady is a sneaky good two-way player. He was creating a lot of turnovers and generally just making chaos when he was up against the top line. That was something I didn't really notice in his draft year, but it definitely played a role in some of the struggles the top line had. He's going to be a gem.

He's good everywhere. Crazy that they lost EK and Stone but got younger versions in Tkachuk and Chabot.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Neither one of his linemates can get him the puck.
When MacK was carrying this team during all those injuries, he didnt need anyone getting him the puck, he did everything by himself, he got the puck to others, made guys like Calvert look like stars etc.... I think he just feels like he doesnt have to carry the team now that other lines are producing, and he just let up a bit. He's still getting at least a point per game, its not like he has gone completely cold, he's just not carrying the team on his shoulders and dominating like before.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When MacK was carrying this team during all those injuries, he didnt need anyone getting him the puck, he did everything by himself, he got the puck to others, made guys like Calvert look like stars etc....
No player in the league can do this by himself for 82 games in today's NHL; not McDavid, not Crosby, and not Kane. Perhaps Mario and Gretzky are the only ones and you gotta understand the talent discrepancy in the 80s, you either had really terrible players or amazing players that would post 2 points per game on average.

Reactions: thefors and the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No player in the league can do this by himself for 82 games in today's NHL; not McDavid, not Crosby, and not Kane. Perhaps Mario and Gretzky are the only ones and you gotta understand the talent discrepancy in the 80s, you either had really terrible players or amazing players that would post 2 points per game on average.
This is true although Kucherov kinda did last year where he was dominant for 82 games and finished with 128 points

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Nichushkin on the top PP planted right in front of the net is exactly what we need on the PP.

Nuke on that spot. Kadri as the roamer/high slot one timer option. Mikko and Mack on the two side walls and Makar at the top of the umbrella.

That's a PP unit that should be very, very dangerous. Nuke is going to completely take away the vision of goalies and when you've got 3 absolute snipers like Cale/Mack/Mikko shooting... Plus Naz and Nuke are good around the net so they should clean up some garbage goals as well.

The 2nd unit could certainly use a PP boost though. Landeskog is a decent option for down low movements, and Burakovsky is a good utility knife on a side wall. I'd actually like to see them try setting Gravey up at the Top of the umbrella firing bullets with Girard playing off the opposite side wall.

The problem is we need someone for that unit who can carry the puck into the offensive zone and set up possession. I really would like to see them use Mack for both PP units but I dont think they'll do that. The alternative is look at trying to trade for a guy who can play PP unity 2 and be the one who skates the puck into the zone. Right now Compher is that guy on the 2nd unit but he's not good enough to do it.
IMO Compher is fine to carry the puck into the zone on the PP2. The problem is that he is always entering the zone on the left using Jost but Jost loses the puck most of the time because the other team overloads that side to pressure him or Compher if he keeps the puck. He needs to be more like Mack and split his entries on both sides a lot more to spread the PK which would also open up the middle for him giving him a third option. He is just too predictable right now. However if they go with somebody else I'd like them to try Burki. He has the speed and the necessary hands to enter the zone properly.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is true although Kucherov kinda did last year where he was dominant for 82 games and finished with 128 points
Only 2 points in the playoffs though, and total ghost.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Swap Landy and Donskoi, Landy is killing the play everytime he touches the puck. For whatever reason he decided to choose the year he's the most sluggish and looks off to carry the puck every. single. time. Rants hasn't been great either, but at least he's able to finish.

Donskoi worked well because he was great at deferring to Mackinnon, but knew when to make a play if there was too much attention on Mack.

Donskoi - Mack - Rants
Nuke - Kadri - Bura
Landy - Compher - Calvert
Nieto - Bellemare - Jost

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When MacK was carrying this team during all those injuries, he didnt need anyone getting him the puck, he did everything by himself, he got the puck to others, made guys like Calvert look like stars etc.... I think he just feels like he doesnt have to carry the team now that other lines are producing, and he just let up a bit. He's still getting at least a point per game, its not like he has gone completely cold, he's just not carrying the team on his shoulders and dominating like before.
Bura and Donks were getting him the puck. In some cases he would take the puck from Donks but both guys were getting him pucks especially Bura when fandeskog and rantane were out. Mackinnon is not getting any passes from either guy.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bura and Donks were getting him the puck. In some cases he would take the puck from Donks but both guys were getting him pucks especially Bura when fandeskog and rantane were out. Mackinnon is not getting any passes from either guy.
MacK and Mikko still do well together, its Landeskog that has sort of gone cold and not doing much. He's not even engaging physically or anything, and he makes some soft or lazy plays out there. Not sure what's wrong with him.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kucherov didnt do it by himself for 82 games. His line dominated last yr.
Yeah that's true, the point was someone doing it by themselves, but I dont think anyone has ever gotten even 100 points without having at least one linemate who helped. Crosby comes to mind when it comes to never really having true star linemate but kept having 100 point seasons.

McDavid/Draisaitl
Mario/Jagr
Gretzky/Kurri

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
MacK and Mikko still do well together, its Landeskog that has sort of gone cold and not doing much. He's not even engaging physically or anything, and he makes some soft or lazy plays out there. Not sure what's wrong with him.
I cant remember the last time i seen Mikko set up Mackinnon. Landeskog is just way out of his element playing with Nathan at the moment. I dont know what his problem is but Jared needs to get him off that line soon. You can get away with it when you are playing Buffalo and Ottawa but not against a real good team. It really should be Donks, Mack and Mikko on a line together until Landeskog starts looking like an NHL player again.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I suppose it's a good thing to see MacKinnon evolve his game to the point where he looks elite with just about anyone. Before MacKinnon really needed Landeskog to do a lot of the defensive/grind work for him, and looked downright atrocious defensively. He's no Selke-caliber forward or anything, but he puts a far greater effort away from the puck and it shows.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I suppose it's a good thing to see MacKinnon evolve his game to the point where he looks elite with just about anyone. Before MacKinnon really needed Landeskog to do a lot of the defensive/grind work for him, and looked downright atrocious defensively. He's no Selke-caliber forward or anything, but he puts a far greater effort away from the puck and it shows.
Said it before that Mack has outgrown Landeskog and maybe even Mikko

Reactions: Tralfamadore

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I cant remember the last time i seen Mikko set up Mackinnon. Landeskog is just way out of his element playing with Nathan at the moment. I dont know what his problem is but Jared needs to get him off that line soon. You can get away with it when you are playing Buffalo and Ottawa but not against a real good team. It really should be Donks, Mack and Mikko on a line together until Landeskog starts looking like an NHL player again.
Well MacK and Mikko are still setting up each other whether its MacK to Mikko or vice versa, they set up the Makar goal in this game, in the last game MacK set up Mikko for a goal, Landeskog needs to get going

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
10-2 goal differential in our last 2. Can we be happy here?

Also....just pointing this out....for as many bad moments as Landeskog has had this year, we're 13-3-3 when he scores a point and 7-7-3 when he doesn't.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad