GDT: Colorado Avalanche host the St. Louis Blues @ 8pm MT for Game #1 of The West Division Playoffs

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
People comparing Kadri to Newhook need to also consider the minutes played. Kadri not only looked worse but he looked worse with more opportunity. Newhook had a solid game for the minutes he played on the 4th line.

edit: for reference Kadri played double Newhooks minutes and Kadri had a minute and a half on the PP.
I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that Kadri has played sub-par, rather he is a major key to us moving forward. Newhook hasn't lit the world on fire, and while we all want him in the lineup for the most part, there is little chance of him being a major contributor offensively at this time.

IMO we are in a unique situation where center depth is a concern but if the top line, top 3 d, and Grubaur continue as they have for the majority of the season, we could overcome it. However if they can get the top two lines going to potential, we are cooking. I have hopes Newhook can fill that role sooner rather than later but the expectation should be put on Kadri and not a rookie with like 10 games under his belt.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Newhook was really good in a fourth line role, I'm not sure he's ready for a top six role yet. I realize Kadri had his struggles in the regular season and didn't have his best game last night but there's no practical alternative to him right now. They've gotta make him work or the road through the playoffs is gonna be bumpy AF. He was great for the Avs last postseason, there's still plenty of reason for him to get it back, he's just gotta quit whining to the refs over something he knows damned well they're not going to call.

Compher is not anywhere near the same player as Logan O'Connor. O'Connor is vastly superior defensively and I'm willing to bet will be better offensively once he gets fully acclimated to the pro game. I have no idea what this injury is but, man, he'd be the perfect player to have in this series.

I don't agree here. Compher's awful contract and inability to play C is clouding some people's perception of him. He's a fine speedy winger. His speed and defensive abilities against LoC is debatable but his shot is miles a head of LoC.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't agree here. Compher's awful contract and inability to play C is clouding some people's perception of him. He's a fine speedy winger. His speed and defensive abilities against LoC is debatable but his shot is miles a head of LoC.

Compher is objectively bad defensively, always has been. He's a good grinding depth winger with speed who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in front of the net, but he's one-dimensional. This has nothing to do with his ability to play center or lack thereof. I don't think there's anything amazing about his shot either. It certainly isn't terrible but he isn't any sort of sniper or anything IMO. It might be better than O'Connor's but O'Connor can generate more volume because he can secure the puck more often, has better size to get to loose pucks, and is more sound positionally.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Im watching too much hockey and spending wayyy too much time here. i dreamt of newhook, avs were in NZ for some reason (def not hockey as we dont have that here) and i was asking how he is settling in and he kept talking to me in that brad pitt accent from snatch...wierd!!!

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Newhook is the only player I would consider taking out of the lineup for game 2. He just doesn't add anything to that 4th line and I dont think he's ready for this kind of hockey yet.

We must have seen different games then. He was good at creating turnovers and did plenty to disrupt things in the NZ. He wasn't exactly a force but I wasn't expecting that from him.

Who would you put in there? Tuna? Megna? Those guys would be downgrades on Newhook.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Compher is objectively bad defensively, always has been. He's a good grinding depth winger with speed who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in front of the net, but he's one-dimensional. This has nothing to do with his ability to play center or lack thereof. I don't think there's anything amazing about his shot either. It certainly isn't terrible but he isn't any sort of sniper or anything IMO. It might be better than O'Connor's but O'Connor can generate more volume because he can secure the puck more often, has better size to get to loose pucks, and is more sound positionally.

Compher is fine defensively when he's on the wings. Put LoC in centre and he'll look awful too. Both are speedy guys who can grind and hustle. it's just that we expect Compher to be much more than LoC.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Compher is fine defensively when he's on the wings. Put LoC in centre and he'll look awful too. Both are speedy guys who can grind and hustle. it's just that we expect Compher to be much more than LoC.

He's not, his defensive shortcomings just aren't as obvious when other guys are handling the load and he's free to grind away at both ends of the ice.

I don't see what point you're trying to make saying O'Connor would be worse if he were played out of position. Yes, that's true. Doesn't mean Compher isn't bad defensively. He is whether you want to admit it or not. On the PK he sometimes uses his speed to create turnovers and odd-man breaks, but that doesn't happen nearly enough to offset the many times he pulls himself out of position, doesn't get sticks in passing lanes, or doesn't secure pucks to clear them effectively enough.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We must have seen different games then. He was good at creating turnovers and did plenty to disrupt things in the NZ. He wasn't exactly a force but I wasn't expecting that from him.

Who would you put in there? Tuna? Megna? Those guys would be downgrades on Newhook.

Yeah I didn't see any of that. He lost every board battle, was knocked off pucks easily, and didn't create any offense.

He was clearly getting bullied on the ice as well. I dont think he's close to ready physically for this kind of hockey yet. Needs an offseason to build up some muscle and then a full season at the NHL preparing and adjusting for that level of physical play.

Now, I didn't say I would take him out. I just said he's the only guy I would consider taking out. I'd give him another game to see if maybe it was just jitters of his first playoff game that had him playing timid.

But in terms of a replacement, especially for that 4th line role and someone who will only get ~8 minutes a game, if that... Ya I'd probably put O'Brien in that spot. Even Soderberg would be fine.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Mackinnon, Jost, Kadri, Bellmare, Newhook, Soderberg.

That looks pretty good to me.

As long as the Mackinnon line and our D is driving the play we will get secondary scoring chances.

Well, that’s cause you’re a homer.

Kadri - just pure garbage for the last two months with no sign of improvement by in sight. By far the worst 2C of the top teams in the league (especially taking into account his recent play).

Jost - love his improvement this year, but even at his best, still only around 25 pt pace this year. Middling production for a 3C especially compared to the Staals/Gourdes out there.

Belly/Newhook/Soderberg - the fact that you put these guys up there as proof of good C depth..not sure what to say.

Probably should take a look at the other top 3-5 teams in the league and see how we stack up after Mac before you expound on our C depth.

I’ll give you a hint. Save for Vegas, it’s not pretty.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Im watching too much hockey and spending wayyy too much time here. i dreamt of newhook, avs were in NZ for some reason (def not hockey as we dont have that here) and i was asking how he is settling in and he kept talking to me in that brad pitt accent from snatch...wierd!!!
Interesting I had a dream about Dion Phaneuf at his lake cabin. :sarcasm:

Reactions: jabubenice

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He's not, his defensive shortcomings just aren't as obvious when other guys are handling the load and he's free to grind away at both ends of the ice.

I don't see what point you're trying to make saying O'Connor would be worse if he were played out of position. Yes, that's true. Doesn't mean Compher isn't bad defensively. He is whether you want to admit it or not. On the PK he sometimes uses his speed to create turnovers and odd-man breaks, but that doesn't happen nearly enough to offset the many times he pulls himself out of position, doesn't get sticks in passing lanes, or doesn't secure pucks to clear them effectively enough.

We're clearly not watching the same game between those two, because I'm not seeing the huge gap between the two defensively and as 4th line wings, it's already the lowest impact position. Neither of them are like Nuke who can reck an opposing team's game. Both are grinders. Difference is Compher is much better than LoC offensively and it's not really that close. Shot, puck handling, passing are all better with Compher. If they had the same contract, no one would be complaining about Compher.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I don't think Compher is a bad NHL player. He's quite good in the role he's meant to play--4th line right wing. The Avs were obviously expecting more development and utility that just never came to pass. I'm certain they'll be trying to offload him somehow to free up cap room.

We're clearly not watching the same game between those two, because I'm not seeing the huge gap between the two defensively and as 4th line wings, it's already the lowest impact position. Neither of them are like Nuke who can reck an opposing team's game. Both are grinders. Difference is Compher is much better than LoC offensively and it's not really that close. Shot, puck handling, passing are all better with Compher. If they had the same contract, no one would be complaining about Compher.

We haven't seen enough of O'Connor to make that determination. I think LOC will make you forget about Compher pretty quickly once he takes that 4th line role full time and doesn't get injured. I'm not saying he's perfect by any means--he's probably just a really good 4th liner, I question whether he can even rise to 3rd liner but we'll see--but I think he can put a greater volume of shots on net. Either way, he's just as fast, better defensively, and the offense he produces could be comparable, all that in a much cheaper package.

Compher's defensive shortcomings become readily apparent when he's paired with another bad defensive player, which is why I screamed bloody murder when Bednar inexplicably put them together late in game situations. Sure enough, they got scored on. It was even worse when he tried Soderberg-Kadri-Compher as a line. Good God.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
FTR I don't think Compher is a bad NHL player. He's quite good in the role he's meant to play--4th line right wing. The Avs were obviously expecting more development and utility that just never came to pass. I'm certain they'll be trying to offload him somehow to free up cap room.

We haven't seen enough of O'Connor to make that determination. I think LOC will make you forget about Compher pretty quickly once he takes that 4th line role full time and doesn't get injured. I'm not saying he's perfect by any means--he's probably just a really good 4th liner, I question whether he can even rise to 3rd liner but we'll see--but I think he can put a greater volume of shots on net. Either way, he's just as fast, better defensively, and the offense he produces could be comparable, all that in a much cheaper package.

Compher's defensive shortcomings become readily apparent when he's paired with another bad defensive player, which is why I screamed bloody murder when Bednar inexplicably put them together late in game situations. Sure enough, they got scored on. It was even worse when he tried Soderberg-Kadri-Compher as a line. Good God.

Ya for sure compher's contract make him a negative player. And agreed he shouldn't be put next to another had defensive player but who would look good? His defensive flaws can be masked in his current role and he'll provide more scoring than most 4th liners. that competitive advantage can be huge. A clutch goal here and there and we win key games. I don't expect most 4th lines to have anyone good enough to beat grubs and our dmen.

LoC, I want to see him play more but so far, I haven't seen enough offensive skill compared to Compher. Fast, hustler, straight forward simple game. That's fine depth and might generate more possession. But can he score key goals with that possession.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ya for sure compher's contract make him a negative player. And agreed he shouldn't be put next to another had defensive player but who would look good? His defensive flaws can be masked in his current role and he'll provide more scoring than most 4th liners. that competitive advantage can be huge. A clutch goal here and there and we win key games. I don't expect most 4th lines to have anyone good enough to beat grubs and our dmen.

LoC, I want to see him play more but so far, I haven't seen enough offensive skill compared to Compher. Fast, hustler, straight forward simple game. That's fine depth and might generate more possession. But can he score key goals with that possession.

I don't think it was a coincidence that he had one of his best games this season when put on that line with O'Connor and Bellemare. It's pretty straightforward--Kadri and Compher can contribute but they both do a lousy job of taking care of the puck. Pair each guy with players who do take care of it well, and they can focus on what they do well. Put them together and it's turnovers galore.

O'Connor may not be able to score more on his own, but he most certainly makes it easier for his teammates on the ice to generate chances. Compher isn't quite that type of player, but he has value in other areas.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Well, that’s cause you’re a homer.

Kadri - just pure garbage for the last two months with no sign of improvement by in sight. By far the worst 2C of the top teams in the league (especially taking into account his recent play).

Jost - love his improvement this year, but even at his best, still only around 25 pt pace this year. Middling production for a 3C especially compared to the Staals/Gourdes out there.

Belly/Newhook/Soderberg - the fact that you put these guys up there as proof of good C depth..not sure what to say.

Probably should take a look at the other top 3-5 teams in the league and see how we stack up after Mac before you expound on our C depth.

I’ll give you a hint. Save for Vegas, it’s not pretty.

And how was our record compared to theirs?

Do they have our depth? Our defense? A Vezina finalist goalie?

Reactions: MoreLikeTurdCrapley

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Newhook is the only player I would consider taking out of the lineup for game 2. He just doesn't add anything to that 4th line and I dont think he's ready for this kind of hockey yet.
If LOC or Calvert or somebody was sitting to the side, chomping at the bit I would agree. But I’m not taking him out just for the sake of taking him out if he’s going to be replaced by Soderberg or Liam O’Brien or something.

Newhook looked weird early. He’s a possession player who uses his feet to create space in the middle of the ice. Seeing him forced into a cycle game made me wonder if it was a mistake but I thought he adapted real quick. Seeing how quickly he’s adapted to every situation he’s played so far leads me to not question him being in the lineup. He learns his role quick and brings a dynamic element at the same time.

Reactions: klozge and AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If LOC or Calvert or somebody was sitting to the side, chomping at the bit I would agree. But I’m not taking him out just for the sake of taking him out if he’s going to be replaced by Soderberg or Liam O’Brien or something.

Newhook looked weird early. He’s a possession player who uses his feet to create space in the middle of the ice. Seeing him forced into a cycle game made me wonder if it was a mistake but I thought he adapted real quick. Seeing how quickly he’s adapted to every situation he’s played so far leads me to not question him being in the lineup. He learns his role quick and brings a dynamic element at the same time.
Newhook has a way higher ceiling than any of the players that would replace him, and he’s expected to have a big role in the coming years. He should keep playing and keep gaining experience. As long as he doesn’t get himself injured. He seems to be good on the boards and can take a hit.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
And how was our record compared to theirs?

Do they have our depth? Our defense? A Vezina finalist goalie?
No but that doesn't absolve us of our center depth issues either. We are fortunate to have areas to lean on right now but it will be an issue moving forward.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Newhook didn't particularly stand out in a positive way but he wasn't bad either. He was just kinda there and occasionally you noticed his speed on both the forecheck and backcheck. He didn't hurt the team, his speed is a significant step above his potential replacements, and his ceiling is higher so I'm fine with him playing. Compher has been skating and playing well over the last little while so I actually think him and Newhook could make some things happen eventually.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Newhook has a way higher ceiling than any of the players that would replace him, and he’s expected to have a big role in the coming years. He should keep playing and keep gaining experience. As long as he doesn’t get himself injured. He seems to be good on the boards and can take a hit.

Nobody gives a f*** about a players future ceiling right now

This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs and our team is in the best position to win the cup with this current core yet, maybe ever.

The last thing that should have any impact on whether Newhook plays or not is his ceiling compared to his peers. If guys are available to play that can play his role better, they should be playing simple as that.

If LOC or Calvert were healthy they would be playing over Newhook. 100% without question.

As is, I dont think Newhook has played so bad that he should be replaced, but I think he was the worst of our 12 forwards that did play last game.

Reactions: missionAvs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nobody gives a f*** about a players future ceiling right now

This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs and our team is in the best position to win the cup with this current core yet, maybe ever.

The last thing that should have any impact on whether Newhook plays or not is his ceiling compared to his peers. If guys are available to play that can play his role better, they should be playing simple as that.

If LOC or Calvert were healthy they would be playing over Newhook. 100% without question.

As is, I dont think Newhook has played so bad that he should be replaced, but I think he was the worst of our 12 forwards that did play last game.
It's not just about future ceiling. Newhook has the highest ceiling to actually do something noteworthy when compared to O'Brien, Soderberg, Sherwood and Megna given his skill set.

Unless he looks outrageously bad, I would not take him out and I definitely wouldn't take him out for O'Brien who is easily the worst forward on our roster.

Reactions: Foppberg and klozge

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's not just about future ceiling. Newhook has the highest ceiling to actually do something noteworthy when compared to O'Brien, Soderberg, Sherwood and Megna given his skill set.

Unless he looks outrageously bad, I would not take him out and I definitely wouldn't take him out for O'Brien who is easily the worst forward on our roster.

I dont agree at all with that. Especially with Soderberg. The others yeah, sure. Megna and Tynan don't belong in the lineup.

Soderberg could absolutely bring more to the table than Newhook.

O'Brien brings physicality that Newhook will never in his career bring. Depending on how the series continues it may be necessary to add a physical 4th line option instead of the offensive one we currently have in Newhook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad