GDT: Colorado Avalanche host the St. Louis Blues @ 8pm MT for Game #1 of The West Division Playoffs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Binnington is the guy on a night out who only ever starts shouting and wanting to fight when three of his mates are between him and whoever he's shouting at. It's a shame this is only the first round because it would be a good laugh seeing him melt down on the way out of the conference final rather than the first round.
**** that, it's funnier watching it happen in the 1st round.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
People comparing Kadri to Newhook need to also consider the minutes played. Kadri not only looked worse but he looked worse with more opportunity. Newhook had a solid game for the minutes he played on the 4th line.

edit: for reference Kadri played double Newhooks minutes and Kadri had a minute and a half on the PP.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, I agree... but I just can't see the Avs winning a Cup with him struggling. The matchups down the line are just too strong. So they need to throw the kitchen sink at Kadri to get him going. Newhook isn't going to be able to match directly up with Staal/Trocheck, Cirelli/Gourde, Malkin/Carter, etc and have the Avs break even in that battle. Kadri is gonna have to be that guy.
We’re a lot better down the middle this year, than we were last year when we had to rely on Kadri. Honestly Kadri has done f*** all and we manhandled the blues last night. If he gets going, it’s just a bonus.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Yeah, I agree... but I just can't see the Avs winning a Cup with him struggling. The matchups down the line are just too strong. So they need to throw the kitchen sink at Kadri to get him going. Newhook isn't going to be able to match directly up with Staal/Trocheck, Cirelli/Gourde, Malkin/Carter, etc and have the Avs break even in that battle. Kadri is gonna have to be that guy.

If Kadri plays solid D and wins some faceoffs we will be fine. That 2nd line can be a solid line with Saad and Burakovsky and play a heavy forecheck game. They will get their scoring chances as well. Saad had a few. Burakovsky as well. Kadri had some chances.

It's not like that line is not doing anything. They played quite well last night.

Reactions: klozge

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I haven't seen a defenseman as dynamic as Cale, ever! I may have some recency bias, but I don't recall guys Like Ozolinsh, Rafalski or Niedermeyer being as dynamic. We have a gem!
Prime Erik Karlsson may be the only recent dman that is comparably dynamic. Av's fans are so lucky to be able to witness one of the greatest offensive dmen to ever play hockey. I believe he is already better than Paul Coffey. Imagine him playing in that era with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson and against such weak defenses and goaltending. His numbers would be insane. If he can stay healthy I have no doubt he will break 100 points one year if he wants to.

JUST STAY HEALTHY CALE!!

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
People comparing Kadri to Newhook need to also consider the minutes played. Kadri not only looked worse but he looked worse with more opportunity. Newhook had a solid game for the minutes he played on the 4th line.

edit: for reference Kadri played double Newhooks minutes and Kadri had a minute and a half on the PP.

Rinse and repeat.

Now the whole forum is hating on Kadri because there is no-one else to hate on.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Rinse and repeat.

Now the whole forum is hating on Kadri because there is no-one else to hate on.

I mean it was pretty bad, I don't normally jump on the Kadri bandwagon but last night left me scratching my head. Blown coverage on the goal because he decided to complain halfway up the ice, bobbled passes and terrible zone entries he was clearly in his own head. He's a great playoff performer I hope he steps it up this team needs his contributions.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't like the current makeup of lines 2 and 3. Saad should go back with Kadri and Burakovsky, and Donskoi should go back with Nuke and Jost. I like the chemistry between Jost and Saad but it's also forcing guys to play on a side they're not as effective on. I don't like Burky on the left side nearly as much as he doesn't have ideal shooting angles, and having Saad and Nuke together is forcing someone to play on their off wing. Just put this lineup back together the way it was when they were absolutely trucking the opposition earlier this season, it will work itself out just fine.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
What a rediculous take.

One player playing a bit under his career averages will not mean this team will not succeed. Comeon man.

Not sure if you know this. Pretty hard to win a cup with terrible Center depth. Thinking that you can is a ridiculous take.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't like the current makeup of lines 2 and 3. Saad should go back with Kadri and Burakovsky, and Donskoi should go back with Nuke and Jost. I like the chemistry between Jost and Saad but it's also forcing guys to play on a side they're not as effective on. I don't like Burky on the left side nearly as much as he doesn't have ideal shooting angles, and having Saad and Nuke together is forcing someone to play on their off wing. Just put this lineup back together the way it was when they were absolutely trucking the opposition earlier this season, it will work itself out just fine.
Doesn't Nichushkin prefer to play RW?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

What I want to see:

Nichushkin-Jost-Burakovsky
Kadri-Newhook-Saad
I think these would be effective. Depending on who's got it going, you can switch the Jost line with the Newhook line. You can also switch Kadri to C and Newhook to LW, if necessary.

I think Kadri benefits more by playing next to someone who can feed him the puck. I also think Burakovsky creates a lot on his own.

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Doesn't Nichushkin prefer to play RW?

I'm not really sure but he's been at his best IMO on the left side. I'm sure they're interchangeable and what not but Nuke is also not a tremendous shooter. Burky is and I think he's best on the right side where he gets the best angles. In any event, Saad was kinda/sorta brought into the lineup to be that playmaking winger who could thrive with a shoot-first center like Kadri. It worked like crazy for a time, I don't know why they can't try it again and put that third line back together the way it was. I suppose I'm being nitpicky but those lines did not exactly produce, it was all the top line last night actually scoring the goals.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He did have a great game, but I think the Avs need a player like LoC on the 4th line. The way he hounds the puck and the pressure he puts on the opposing team during the PK is sorely missed.

I like LOC but Compher can do the same but with a much better offensive game. Compher just can't play centre but he is a fine 4th line winger.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not really sure but he's been at his best IMO on the left side. I'm sure they're interchangeable and what not but Nuke is also not a tremendous shooter. Burky is and I think he's best on the right side where he gets the best angles. In any event, Saad was kinda/sorta brought into the lineup to be that playmaking winger who could thrive with a shoot-first center like Kadri. It worked like crazy for a time, I don't know why they can't try it again and put that third line back together the way it was. I suppose I'm being nitpicky but those lines did not exactly produce, it was all the top line last night actually scoring the goals.
You can tell Saad can't stand playing with Kadri lol so many times this season he's been open and Kadri has tried to toe drag and shoot, and Saad's arms go up in the air.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Yup. Hard to change the line up after a win but I want to go back to

Saad-kadri-bura, nuke-jost-donkie

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I like LOC but Compher can do the same but with a much better offensive game. Compher just can't play centre but he is a fine 4th line winger.
I don't think JTC can forecheck as good as LoC. But he does that extra something that pisses the other teams off. I would have Belly as the next guy out of the lineup. Put Newhook(since he's there anyway) as center. With LoC and JTC as wingers. Belly also doesn't really have the speed to keep up with them either.

But none of that matters since all of our nice depth forwards always break.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Not sure if you know this. Pretty hard to win a cup with terrible Center depth. Thinking that you can is a ridiculous take.

Mackinnon, Jost, Kadri, Bellmare, Newhook, Soderberg.

That looks pretty good to me.

As long as the Mackinnon line and our D is driving the play we will get secondary scoring chances.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
You can tell Saad can't stand playing with Kadri lol so many times this season he's been open and Kadri has tried to toe drag and shoot, and Saad's arms go up in the air.

Yeah I get the sense that Saad has told Bednar he prefers to be on a different line when the option is there

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What I want to see:

Nichushkin-Jost-Burakovsky
Kadri-Newhook-Saad
I think these would be effective. Depending on who's got it going, you can switch the Jost line with the Newhook line. You can also switch Kadri to C and Newhook to LW, if necessary.

I think Kadri benefits more by playing next to someone who can feed him the puck. I also think Burakovsky creates a lot on his own.

Newhook was really good in a fourth line role, I'm not sure he's ready for a top six role yet. I realize Kadri had his struggles in the regular season and didn't have his best game last night but there's no practical alternative to him right now. They've gotta make him work or the road through the playoffs is gonna be bumpy AF. He was great for the Avs last postseason, there's still plenty of reason for him to get it back, he's just gotta quit whining to the refs over something he knows damned well they're not going to call.

Compher is not anywhere near the same player as Logan O'Connor. O'Connor is vastly superior defensively and I'm willing to bet will be better offensively once he gets fully acclimated to the pro game. I have no idea what this injury is but, man, he'd be the perfect player to have in this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00