Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sens play a perfect clean game while being routed by the Pens 5-2

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Guentzel getting hurt definitely got to me last night.

I am usually numb to this stuff, but I’ve never seen a rash of injuries like this for the Pens.

The way Ott was running around I was afraid a star player like Letang or Marino would get hurt, then Guentzel got “accidentally” tripped into the boards.

I usually roll my eyes when guys get hurt and say “of course” but I was pissed last night... it wasn’t just bad luck...

OTT definitely was looking to hurt people last night even from the get go when they were cross checking Geno hard....**** team and organization...as I said previously, for some reason they want to be the Anaheim Ducks of the East....

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
So, when does Jarry get Vezina recommendation.

If he does this will most likely be the reaction of the Murray resistance part of the fanbase:

giphy.gif

Hard to imagine a Pens goalie in Vezina consideration...but if Jarry keeps up even at a bit lower of a pace, he should be close.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
If he does this will most likely be the reaction of the Murray resistance part of the fanbase:

Hard to imagine a Pens goalie in Vezina consideration...but if Jarry keeps up even at a bit lower of a pace, he should be close.

Are you an ex-fleury thumper? Murray fans just wanted the best for the team at the time. I'm glad fleury is gone, i'm also glad jarry is tearing it up. If murray is the one to lose out and get traded, only means things are going good for the penguins. There might be like 2 over the top murray supporters; there's still more over the top fleury fans on this board than murray.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

giphy.gif

I don't think there's a single person here who isn't thrilled with what Jarry is doing right now. I'm not sure what you're getting at. We're allowed to like both of them. Hell, I even like Fleury!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you an ex-fleury thumper? Murray fans just wanted the best for the team at the time. I'm glad fleury is gone, i'm also glad jarry is tearing it up. There might be like 2 over the top murray supporters; there's still more over the top fleury fans on this board than murray.

I don't even think it's "over the top Murray supporters", because no one is pretending that Murray hasn't struggled recently. It's mostly people who like both goalies (because I don't know of anyone who dislikes Jarry) telling Jarry fanatics that they need to chill with the way over the top things they're saying about Murray and Jarry. They're just labeled as Murray fanboys because they don't say things like "Murray is actually their 3rd string goalie", "Murray looks like a heroin addict" or "Murray has sucked since Fleury left".

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Are you an ex-fleury thumper? Murray fans just wanted the best for the team at the time. I'm glad fleury is gone, i'm also glad jarry is tearing it up. There might be like 2 over the top murray supporters; there's still more over the top fleury fans on this board than murray.

I enjoy being sarcastic. I have no personal connection to players except Sid/Geno. I'm one that is a proponent of who fills the roles best/cheapest to maximize cap space. I don't get sentimental for specific players unless you start trashing X Generation Pens...then we'll have problems.

Jarry balling out all year pushes us into a supreme situation.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
OTT definitely was looking to hurt people last night even from the get go when they were cross checking Geno hard....**** team and organization...as I said previously, for some reason they want to be the Anaheim Ducks of the East....

Idiots will call that “playing hard” but that wasn’t what it was... it was cheap hockey and there isn’t a soul alive that could convince me otherwise.

I knew right away a Pen’s player was going to get hurt because the refs were letting all their cheap shots go.

This will fuel JRs obsession again I’m afraid... zero doubts he’s steaming about last nights garbage.

They need to get Angello up and let him go to town on guys like Chabot before JR does something dumb.

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It is in this team's best interest to have two goaltenders that can come in and win games. Murray will turn it around. We are getting in to the time of year where he usually does.

I guess we haven't heard anything on Jake. If he is out, this is Galchenyuk's time. He has looked really good over the last 3 games. He is playing with two of the most productive players in the NHL right now. If it is going to happen in Pittsburgh for him, it has to happen now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is in this team's best interest to have two goaltenders that can come in and win games. Murray will turn it around. We are getting in to the time of year where he usually does.

I guess we haven't heard anything on Jake. If he is out, this is Galchenyuk's time. He has looked really good over the last 3 games. He is playing with two of the most productive players in the NHL right now. If it is going to happen in Pittsburgh for him, it has to happen now.

Did Galchenyuk slide to Malkin's line after Guentzel got hurt? I didn't watch the 3rd period after the Guentzel injury, so I don't know how they changed the lines after the injury.

Edit: looking at their naturalstattrick page, yes they did get paired up and they utterly dominated as a line after Guentzel went down. Over 75% in both CF% and xGF% and 6-0 in terms of scoring chances, albeit in a small sample size. I really want to see how that line does in the next few games.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
This was Chuckys most noticeable game hounding the puck in the O zone. I hadn't seen it yet before and it made me check to be sure it was him. He was actually battling on the boards as well.

If he keeps that up he'll do fine with Geno/Rust.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Did Galchenyuk slide to Malkin's line after Guentzel got hurt? I didn't watch the 3rd period after the Guentzel injury, so I don't know how they changed the lines after the injury.

Edit: looking at their naturalstattrick page, yes they did get paired up and they utterly dominated as a line after Guentzel went down. Over 75% in both CF% and xGF% and 6-0 in terms of scoring chances, albeit in a small sample size. I really want to see how that line does in the next few games.

Think it is worth a shot, Galchenyuk has actually looked semi-decent over these last couple of games so bump him up and see what he can do.

Galcheyuk - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev
Simon - Blandisi - Lafferty

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Galchenyuk succeeding with Malkin and Rust would be like making a huge deal at the deadline. If he catches fire, JR may only need to do a depth move if it is out there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Think it is worth a shot, Galchenyuk has actually looked semi-decent over these last couple of games so bump him up and see what he can do.

Not only that, but I think Malkin and Rust can drive that line well enough where you don't need a Guentzel caliber player on LW for that line to still work really well. The line won't be as good as it was with Guentzel, because all of Guentzel, Malkin and Rust are driving offense on that line right now, but that line was literally murdering the league.

GMR was scoring nearly 5 goals per 60 minutes at 5v5 (4.87 to be exact) and were dominating analytically. Replacing Guentzel with Galchenyuk makes it worse, but it was so dominant with Guentzel that I think the line has to still be great with Galchenyuk instead of Guentzel.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Idiots will call that “playing hard” but that wasn’t what it was... it was cheap hockey and there isn’t a soul alive that could convince me otherwise.

I knew right away a Pen’s player was going to get hurt because the refs were letting all their cheap shots go.

This will fuel JRs obsession again I’m afraid... zero doubts he’s steaming about last nights garbage.

They need to get Angello up and let him go to town on guys like Chabot before JR does something dumb.

Having a little push-back in the lineup is the new "dumb"? Interesting

Here are your options as I see it:

Screw the Push Back and take your lumps like last night without complaining (please note, wanting the Refs who are all former goons to mediate justice is well.... laughable?)

ADD a Nuclear weapon, Reaves comes to mind, coach doesn't play him, wastes assets obtaining, dump him losing more assets.

Trade for a tad more grit up and down the lineup that fit into your system. Very hard to accomplish this one for a multitude of reasons.

The reality is that this lineup, minus Gally, is what Sully likes. Most likely his players will simply have to eat the pain, especially come playoffs.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
And likely more injuries. Don't worry, you'll get your fill, don't forget we haven't played the Caps yet. Tom Wilson will be ready to oblige you, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately we don't have anyone to oblige Wilson.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It's the same damn story from the vocal minority who wanted Rust shot to the moon last year because he started off slow. Now Murray is a complete waste of a goalie and should be traded. Patience is a virtue that MANY have around here. But hot damn the vocal minority do not.

Trading Murray now is dumb and I'm not one to think he's going to ever touch what he did in the 2017 playoffs again just from his playing style now and lack of glove hand. Murray has little value on the market given his injury history and recent play. It's best to hold onto him and see where the chips lay this summer.

BUT if we give him a long term contract with a nice pay raise for shit he did 3 years ago, I'll be furious.

Consistency matters to me.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Matt Murray is 25 years old. The dude isn't even close to his prime yet.

Good players who had success early in their careers always fall into this with a fanbase. Most goaltenders' careers only begin at 25.

Jarry is the greatest thing that could have happened to Murray. Sometimes being able to take a step back helps a player and Jarry playing exceptionally well is letting Murray do that. Also, Murray is a competitive guy - he's going to fight Jarry for starts. Those two being competitive with each other helps the team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Having a little push-back in the lineup is the new "dumb"? Interesting

Here are your options as I see it:

Screw the Push Back and take your lumps like last night without complaining (please note, wanting the Refs who are all former goons to mediate justice is well.... laughable?)

ADD a Nuclear weapon, Reaves comes to mind, coach doesn't play him, wastes assets obtaining, dump him losing more assets.

Trade for a tad more grit up and down the lineup that fit into your system. Very hard to accomplish this one for a multitude of reasons.

The reality is that this lineup, minus Gally, is what Sully likes. Most likely his players will simply have to eat the pain, especially come playoffs.

Having guys who move like sloths to provide pushback is and has always been dumb for this org... it’s how they lost Naslund and the last two seasons.

I already said Reaves was the answer, but he’s gone and JR chased after big slugs.

If he wants a legit talented physical presence he will have to pay through the teeth, if he’s lucky enough to even get that opportunity.

Maybe if the refs did their jobs... oh wait only been saying that since I started watching this clown shoes league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad