Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sens play a perfect clean game while being routed by the Pens 5-2

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
For the record I hope you're right... I'm pessimistic by nature and we get no luck when it comes to injuries.

I'm newer to posting so I'm not entirely sure how we do the avatar thing...just thought I'd try to make light of a crappy situation.

The good news about all the injuries to this point is that none have been season ending injuries. Let's hope this trend continues with Guentzel. I think all the injuries to this point will be a positive for the team. The Pens are still near the top of the league and many players have gotten needed experience playing with more responsibility. This will make us a deeper and harder team to play against if we ever somehow get healthy.

I would like the injury bug to stop for the year but to this point it has only made this team better for the playoffs. As long as the Guentzel injury is not more than an 8 week bone break we should be fine. Guentzel will have time to get back to form and we will see who fits best with Crosby and Malkin without him. We should know which line needs him more when he gets back.

With these injuries it lets me know that Marino can replace Schultz which says us big contract money. The injuries also gave Kahun a chance from being a healthy scratch to now being deserving of a top 6 spot tryout going forward. Maybe we don't find these things out if this team was injury free with our top 4 defense and top 6 forwards.

Murray playing poorly also saved us a ton of money and allowed Jarry to demonstrate this ability. Honestly everything has worked out pretty well so far. Now let's stop it and stay healthy and play well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jake getting injured and the refs not giving the Pens a single PP dampened an otherwise great game.

Hopefully Jake is okay and hopefully those two refs fall and break their ankles as they're boarding their plane.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sure. Some players are probably also better on the rush when it comes to scoring chances. There are just too many variables in hockey.

Hockey is not as easy sport to just pin numbers onto something. Since all this analytics crap flooded into existence it seems mostly beneficial when people want to fluff the back end of their claims or justify an argument.

They’re tools and they evolve. Some are their to provide context as to why things are happening. Zone starts should have some effect on GF/GA so just say someone like Blueger whose GF% is 44.44% (Tanev a little higher but under 50%, ZAR right on 50%). Now that’s not great but when his DZ starts are at 72% you can see that he’s close to breaking even but getting lots of time in the D zone.

They’re still trying to come up with stats that are more useful for predictions. That’s still a work in progress though. I think Jesse rates xGF% as one of the better ones.

Use a combo of adv stats, raw stats and what you see. That’s the best we’ve got. Sometimes things don’t make sense and results (wins/losses) matter too. Generally though you should be able to match eyes and stats though if you try and be objective as possible. That can be hard for humans though :laugh:

Reactions: shoplifter

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Who were the clowns in this rodeo anyway?

I know your never-ending passion for things you believe in...
Please send letters to the NHL on this..

Referees:
Dan O'Halloran
Kendrick Nicholson
Linesmen:
Greg Devorski
Ryan Daisy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jake getting injured and the refs not giving the Pens a single PP dampened an otherwise great game.

Hopefully Jake is okay and hopefully those two refs fall and break their ankles as they're boarding their plane.

I should correct myself: the refs decided to give the Pens a PP with 19.6 seconds left in the third period. That certainly shows they're not managing the score and are being "fair" by making the PPs 2 to 1 instead of 2 to 0.

f***ing idiots.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
marlostanfield2.gif

Omar-Little-the-wire-35758385-245-165.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
John Marino by the numbers

5v5 points - 13 (t-24th)
p/60 - 1.24 (30th)
5v5 AToI - 16:56 (66th) (but over the past 10 games, 18:21 - 25th)
GF% 59.26 (24th)
xGF% 57.58 (8th)
xGA 1.7 (3rd)
All Situations AToI Last 10 Games - 21:38 (57th)

Right now, Marino is a low end 1D at 5v5 with extremely high shot suppression metrics and strong possession metrics and scoreboard effects, who's not that heavily used on special teams yet (although he's on a team that currently doesn't do much special teams, which skews things both directions) which reduces the load a little. I think that matches up with the eye test well enough.
I see Marino as a better offensive version of Dumo with a bit more masculinity to his game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Speaking of JJ...weird seeing him do good after all the suck last season. Hope this is the JJ we get the remainder of the contract.
I remember joking in the summer that what if he rebounds the way other guys that first join the Pens do after a had year?

He is nowhere near the caliber or sarge or Martin but man he's a different player this season.

Reactions: 66-30-33

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Come one Pen's, hoping they don't decide to play down to the Sens level. I think our boys keep clicking.

5-2 Pens

Made a good prediction!

Reactions: ColePens

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I know your never-ending passion for things you believe in...
Please send letters to the NHL on this..

Referees:
Dan O'Halloran
Kendrick Nicholson
Linesmen:
Greg Devorski
Ryan Daisy
Better yet, make a compilation video of all of Ottawa’s penalties and dirty play that was completely ignored.

But I’m not going to whine about it. This has always been the NHL. JR and Sully built an Uber soft talented team. It is what is.

Wait until Washington gets them in a seven game series. I have always remained steady that the Caps backed off physically after Wilson was suspended in 16. They didn’t 2 years later and won’t ever again.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
If I had to guess, I’d say Jake separated / dislocated his shoulder... :(

Not a dislocation, but a separation is possible and is probably the best case scenario if it's a significant injury. More likely from the way he hit is something involving wrist or elbow, though.

Not a dislocation, though, which would be a worst-case scenario that would likely end his season. His arm would not have been in the position it was, coming of the ice, if that were the case.

Reactions: The Expert

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Officiating was easy to explain: Penguins - Ottawa was the only NHL game on last night. Referees wanted to keep Ottawa under the spread.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Great performance and I told you those discussions on who gets to play with Jake are premature. Of course line 1 was incredible and of course it wasn't to last because we just can't have nice things. Hornqvist once again showing that he shouldn't be written off yet, him and Simon seem to play well together - one never shoots if he can help it, the other never passes if he can help it. Marino... what more can you say. Chabot who?

I guess the refs really wanted to make Torts rant look even more right on money and they sure did. But hey, they gave us a power play 20 seconds from the end, that makes it okay somehow. Two infractions in a few seconds against Blandisi including a double minor - nothing called. Malkin gets cross-checked several times by two players, retaliates once - 4 on 4. Tanev boarded - nothing called. And so on. O'Halloran was involved in the Hawks - Jackets game the previous night, instead of being suspended he goes on to ruin another game. Good job, NHL brass.

Last edited:

reino

Jul 20, 2019
"Multiple league sources told The Athletic late Monday night the early prognosis was for Guentzel to miss a significant amount of time — including, probably, the NHL All-Star Game."

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
"Multiple league sources told The Athletic late Monday night the early prognosis was for Guentzel to miss a significant amount of time — including, probably, the NHL All-Star Game."
Ugghhh that sucks.

Can we agree to never start Murray again? This would have been a nail biter if that turd was in net. We can’t continue to play him with all of these injuries; automatically giving up 4 goals every game is tough to overcome with all of the injuries.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Obviously pretty numb regarding Jake. It's well beyond stupid, at this point. And I hate to be this way but man... that really didn't look good.

Literally everything else about this game was downright inspiring. You can really sense the massive difference in these guys this year. It's a little corny but they really do seem to play hard for each other.

Malkin is completely out of control, right now. Holy ****. Yeah I know... a person seems to say that at least a handful of times nearly every season but... holy ****.

Guentzel getting hurt definitely got to me last night.

I am usually numb to this stuff, but I’ve never seen a rash of injuries like this for the Pens and his injury could have been prevented.

The way Ott was running around I was afraid a star player like Letang or Marino would get hurt, then Guentzel got “accidentally” tripped into the boards.

I usually roll my eyes when guys get hurt and say “of course” but I was pissed last night... it wasn’t just bad luck...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00