Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Ummm, I don't agree with that sentiment. Why should he have to? He doesn't have to explain it to anyone. Right now it's our perception vs. theirs. We truly can't say if it was intentional or not. Only Cooke truly knows that. Not saying he did it intentionally, but I wouldn't be shocked if the intent was there. It would be pretty messed up, even by his standards if it were the case. Even if lets say we knew 100 percent it wasn't intentional, the fact remains people are mad and have a right to be. I don't blame the Sens faithful. This is were we become an empathetic group, and understand if it was us going through the loss of Malkin or Crosby on a similar hit, we would be reacting in a similar fashion. Lets not kid ourselves. Especially if the opposing player causing the injury has a bad reputation... it makes it easy for the other side to be convinced it was intentional.

Having said all of that, the entire Senators fanbase doesn't all agree it was intentional. Some believe it was an accident.

We have been in that situation and we did react emotionally. Staal's injury, Crosby's injury, etc. We were pretty much collectively told to suck it up and quit whining, that's life in the NHL. I have nothing but empathy for the Sens fans right now because I know what it feels like to see your best player(s) taken out on a totally careless play. What I don't have any tolerance for is calling for Crosby's head, making death threats, ******** all over Pens fans, or any of the other nonsense that I see going on.

It is easy to assume it's intentional because it's Matt Cooke. He's earned his reputation. That doesn't preclude him from being involved in an accidental injury. I can't count how many posts I've seen that have basically said, "It probably wasn't on purpose but it's Matt Cooke so he should be punished on principle because you never know." That's ********. People cry about the inconsistency of discipline in the NHL and taking injuries into account when doling out punishment on one hand and then something like this happens and they're more than happy to see Cooke get nailed for what was almost certainly an accident where a player got hurt. The double standard is what gets me.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Guys.. please don't quote the trolls. It just does no good for the conversation. The report button is a great tool for HF. They disappear because the Mods do a great job.

Some people should have comments kept up to show how ridiculous they sound. Deleting their comments gives them a way out. An infraction means crap when advertising one's ignorance and ridiculousness (it's a word now!), is a much greater punishment. The guy wanted the infraction. It was well documented in his post.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why is it a joke that he should wear Kevlar socks? Every player should look into wearing them if they provide a level of protection from skate blades, accidental cuts or not.

Who is to say what I should/shouldn't wear. I hate wearing socks in general with skates. I hate it. So I don't. If I get injured.. it's my fault. I also never liked wearing wrist protectors. When I got slashed - it was my fault.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey, I got infracted for the first time last night because I was so upset for the Sens fans and wanted to say I felt their pain and wanted to talk about how good Da Costa looked. His tape-to-tape passes are unreal and he could have had 3 points in that game if it weren't for the fact Alfie got two posts. Of course, I called out a fan who posted Crosby should die, which I replied, that is gross and uncalled for. More disgusting is the fact Sid had nothing to do with the incident. I was infracted for trolling. I said to the mod where have I trolled once... the infraction was reversed. My point is, it probably wasn't the best call to go into a Karlsson injury thread moments after the incident with the handle I have. Still, it happens. Am I going to stop showing that fan base respect? Nope. They are passionate fans like you and I, who simply are basing their comments on emotions vs. logic and reason. We have all been there before.

I think I've been infracted twice... and both times it was because I called out the mouthbreathers on the main board. You can't call them "mouthbreathers" even when they say they want Crosby concussed... trust me.

I rarely bother with the main board, it isn't worth the time to reason with mouthbreathers and twelve year olds.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
We have been in that situation and we did react emotionally. Staal's injury, Crosby's injury, etc. We were pretty much collectively told to suck it up and quit whining, that's life in the NHL. I have nothing but empathy for the Sens fans right now because I know what it feels like to see your best player(s) taken out on a totally careless play. What I don't have any tolerance for is calling for Crosby's head, making death threats, ******** all over Pens fans, or any of the other nonsense that I see going on.

It is easy to assume it's intentional because it's Matt Cooke. He's earned his reputation. That doesn't preclude him from being involved in an accidental injury. I can't count how many posts I've seen that have basically said, "It probably wasn't on purpose but it's Matt Cooke so he should be punished on principle because you never know." That's ********. People cry about the inconsistency of discipline in the NHL and taking injuries into account when doling out punishment on one hand and then something like this happens and they're more than happy to see Cooke get nailed for what was almost certainly an accident where a player got hurt. The double standard is what gets me.

I am on the same page, I just finished saying in another post (in which I got infracted (now removed) for calling a guy out for making a lewd comment about how Crosby should die)... so don't think for once I am okay with that. Having said that, that's not the entire Sens fan base. Many Sens fans also countered the fans who made the death threats and said that was unacceptable. So lets not all lump them in one bunch. They still have my respect, with the exception of the few... like our friend, Spezza19.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think I've been infracted twice... and both times it was because I called out the mouthbreathers on the main board. You can't call them "mouthbreathers" even when they say they want Crosby concussed... trust me.

I rarely bother with the main board, it isn't worth the time to reason with mouthbreathers and twelve year olds.

:laugh:

I use "mouthbreather" a ton too.

There's no room for discussion there, so all I do is use sarcasm and basically antagonize without going over the line.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I am on the same page, I just finished saying in another post (in which I got infracted (now removed) for calling a guy out for making a lewd comment about how Crosby should die)... so don't think for once I am okay with that. Having said that, that's not the entire Sens fan base. Many Sens fans also countered the fans who made the death threats and said that was unacceptable. So lets not all lump them in one bunch. They still have my respect, with the exception of the few... like our friend, Spezza19.

Of course it's not all of them. It's a vocal minority that makes the rest look bad. Every fan base has one.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

agreed, no point visiting the main boards, everyone is anti Pen and no matter what they also have a smart ass comment to make. Screw them we're good here :)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

3rgrqa.jpg

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

There's no room for discussion there, so all I do is use sarcasm and basically antagonize without going over the line.

Ya if I'm bored and out baby clothes shopping and **** with my wife, sometimes I like to jump on the IPhone and mess with people there.

I've made antagonizing the mouthbreathers an art form, without getting in trouble.

I just don't get into drawn out arguments anymore because it never goes anywhere.

PittPenguin

Oct 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Did anyone else notice Malkin in the last minute of play? He was so close to scoring a goal on Anderson with about 30 seconds left. With about 20 seconds left, one of the Senators gained control of the puck and started heading towards the Penguins' defensive end. Malkin just kind of stopped in the middle of the neutral zone, gave up chasing the Sens player, and skated towards the bench. He slammed his stick on the boards in front of the bench, seeming extremely frustrated. Am I the only one who caught this?

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Did anyone else notice Malkin in the last minute of play? He was so close to scoring a goal on Anderson with about 30 seconds left. With about 20 seconds left, one of the Senators gained control of the puck and started heading towards the Penguins' defensive end. Malkin just kind of stopped in the middle of the neutral zone, gave up chasing the Sens player, and skated towards the bench. He slammed his stick on the boards in front of the bench, seeming extremely frustrated. Am I the only one who caught this?

No, but it sounds like Malkin. He really takes things to heart. Speaking of which, Happy Valentine's Day!

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown

maybe he's injured and he's frustrated about that. He wasn't at practice today.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Only thing that I really didn't like last night was puck management. Not sure what our guys are thinking on the PP when they stare eachother down cross ice, and then try passing the puck to them.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005

It wasn't quite how it happened. He did back check and only went to change when there was about 8 seconds left and the Pens had the puck. I can't quite see from my feed whether he slams his stick on the boards, although it looks he's starting that kind of a motion.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What happened to Kennedy? The guy used to be a buzzsaw out there, a real menace for the opposition defense. Now he's kind of just skating around, and once in a while throw one of his patented chest snipes at a goalie.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Last thought on the whole skate incident with Cooke.

Simple reason asks if it were intentional, why? We see the Sens what? Once a year unless it were the playoffs. And that team if pretty flawed we would want them to make the playoffs and maybe play them. If it were Giroux or Hartnell, well you could make the argument of history, hate and rivalry I suppose. But the Sens and EK? What possible reason would there be? Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that it makes no sense to believe that Cooke did that intentionally. Aside from the video showing it, there is absolutely no reason he would.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
Last thought on the whole skate incident with Cooke.

Simple reason asks if it were intentional, why? We see the Sens what? Once a year unless it were the playoffs. And that team if pretty flawed we would want them to make the playoffs and maybe play them. If it were Giroux or Hartnell, well you could make the argument of history, hate and rivalry I suppose. But the Sens and EK? What possible reason would there be? Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that it makes no sense to believe that Cooke did that intentionally. Aside from the video showing it, there is absolutely no reason he would.

Don't your read the main board? Cooke is a demon spawn from hell, he doesn't need any reason or rational thinking. He is just looking for blood.:sarcasm:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Who is to say what I should/shouldn't wear. I hate wearing socks in general with skates. I hate it. So I don't. If I get injured.. it's my fault. I also never liked wearing wrist protectors. When I got slashed - it was my fault.

If you were a pro player, your owner could insist on it in your contract.

It should start from the top...owners should demand certain protective equipment from their players. It's the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad