Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Joe Victory: Gotta love what he brings to the ice. I really feel he's a guy that should never be out of the line up unless it's to heal a couple bruises. He just adds so much for only going a couple minutes per game.

+ Neal's release: Thing of beauttttttty. Snipe city. Gotta just love James Neal and his knack for goal scoring. He does his thing, man. He just scores goals.

+ Crosby/Malkin: Still not perfect, but I felt we got our jump because they were on fire early. Sid over-passes, but he had a good jump and that pass was beautiful. Also thought he was a monster in the faceoff dot (no stats). Geno was more noticeable. I thought Geno has great jump right now. Surprised he isn't scoring more.

+ Dan Bylsma: Not for schematic changes, but that was a great idea to move Cooke to L2 and Boychuk back. Boychuk was invisible. Cooke was struggling without Staal. It was a damn good move and Cooke instantly got much better.

+ Effort: Effort was definitely there tonight. Spazzed out for sure - but there. I loved the hustle, but didn't love the play.

Even

Fleury: I know... it can be frustrating when he lets in softies. It really can be. But you cannot deny his big saves in this game. It was just one of those days for #29.

Paul Martin: He finally had a bad game. It happens. I'm not going to ***** or complain. He took 3 penalties and let some guys around him. He's been outstanding all season so I can't say anything. He also made some great plays on the powerplay to get us 2 goals. Can't say anything too bad, eh?

Minus

- Our Style: I really don't like how the Pens are playing hockey right now. They go on runs because they have so much freaking talent, but then they make hockey look just as bad when they play against a decent structure. So what we try to do is just simply out-skill teams? That's not going to do anything in the postseason. We completely spazz out all over the place instead of just playing a team game.

This isn't blaming coaching or anything. I just really hate the way this team tries to win hockey games. We need to play a team game... not just rely on skill.

And JadedFan hit it on the head in the GDT. We just don't win battles anymore. I blame the next category (puck support) but what do you think?

- Puck support: Where is it? We are soooooo far away from one another when trying to make passes. It's just so disheartening to see this team play that style. They need to support one another with short chips/passes and they can use their skill that way. There needs to be puck support. I'm going to harp on it until we figure it out. Just watch how we broke out in 2009. We had 5-6 feet chips/passes and went flying. We made smart concise decisions. Just pause your television when we are attempting to stretch it in the neutral. We are so far away from one another.

- Team Anger Management: I kind of missed Bort/Engo out there together being angry souls. I know Nisky/Letang (who struggled on their game back) are great to have in the line up, but I did miss that rugged play by Bort/Engo. I couldn't even take Despres out of the line up because he's playing well, too. Tough decisions every night for our coach.

-Injuries: Hate seeing a guy like Karlsson get injured. Period. Really hate hearing what happened.

- Letang/Nisky: Both guys looked uncomfortable in their game back. I'm sure it happens. Nisky really struggled stepping up and hitting.

- Chris Neil: You are a *****. Such a *****. You wouldn't go with Engo so you just jump Cooke? Come on, man. That's not hockey.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens have been trying to figure out how to use a pp with sid and geno for years cant believe it but it looks like the answer is Paul Martin. Our pp has looked so good since martin took over. I remember last game vs sens they literally couldnt even set up in the zone at all.

Fire Shero*

+The Boychuk experiment on the second line has to be over

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
- the play of the team. Not just this game. Yeah, they turned it on in the third against an AHL team, hell it was borderline AHL to start with all their injuries. This team as it is now will not make it out of the first round. And the sad part is that it is the same thing wrong over and over. That they keep trying that no look drop pass that never works is just a microcosm of what is wrong with this team.

* My prayers are with Karlsson. I hope for a speedy and complete recovery.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
+ Neal

+ 3 points for Sid

+ 4th line grinding

- Injury to Karlsson

- Fleury almost costing us the game. You could just tell the spirit left the players after they sacrificing bodies to left and right, and then Fleury lets in 2 sofities in the span of 24 seconds.

- Neil. I hope the Pens pushing for a suspension. You cant just go up to people and punch them when theyre not ready.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fleury had a great game aside from a 45 second period.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
How the heck do you have Fleury as even? Those two goals were atrocious...

On the plus side I saw flashes of Sid being Sid tonight. It wasn't a full game of relentlessness, but that one shift where he ran a cycle by himself was vintage Crosby. It's good to know he's just coasting in second gear waiting for the games that count.

Nisky and Letang really help with the transition. I too miss Bort's violence.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
How the heck do you have Fleury as even? Those two goals were atrocious...

On the plus side I saw flashes of Sid being Sid tonight. It wasn't a full game of relentlessness, but that one shift where he ran a cycle by himself was vintage Crosby. It's good to know he's just coasting in second gear waiting for the games that count.

Nisky and Letang really help with the transition. I too miss Bort's violence.

He obviously let in two softies in a short period of time, but also made some great saves. I'd put him in the even category.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Sens section is livid right now, I kinda feel bad to cooke, he plays a stand up style last season and this happens to him.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Honestly that first goal against MAF happens to every goalie once in a while. Hate to see it, but I'm not giving him **** for that. That second one was definitely, definitely stoppable. He was great outside of that one though.

I'll give him a very small plus.

+ Good games from Sid, Letang, Vitale, Adams, Dupuis, and Cooke.

- Rough games from Martin (half and half), Boychuk, and Kennedy (again TK).

+ Needed that home win and to avoid a three-game losing streak, here's hoping we can build on it on Friday.

Sucks to see Karlsson seriously injured especially considering the injury luck we've had the last few years.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Is that rule still in place that if you send a guy out to do what Neil did in the last five minutes of the game it is a game suspension for the player and the coach?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
He obviously let in two softies in a short period of time, but also made some great saves. I'd put him in the even category.

They weren't just two softies when the game was over. They were back brackers in a tight game. If it had been one, well **** happens, but 2 awful goals in less than 1 minute in a close game...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
james neal is jonathan cheechoo part deux. decent player on his own. big time leach.

Neal's not a leach, he's a triggerman...there are a handful of players in the league with his release.

He may not be able to create much on his own, but he capitalizes on his chances way more often than most players because of his outstanding shot, which is lethal anywhere from the top of the circles down.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Heck, the refined Matt Cooke might actually work on the 2nd line. For now. Go get Iggy!

I thought the PP looked dangerous as hell, though it still turns into "who can make the riskiest pass" game way too often.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
They weren't just two softies when the game was over. They were back brackers in a tight game. If it had been one, well **** happens, but 2 awful goals in less than 1 minute in a close game...

He also made an amazing save on Alfie alone in front.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
+Pens getting back in the W column.
+PP
+Neal
+4 goals against a good defensive team.
+Flower with exception to the second goal.

-Seeing Karlsson get hurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad