Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Does anyone have specifics on the rules for "stomping"? I'm not suggesting that's what Cooke did or didn't do, I'm just curious about the wording and can't seem to find any traces of it in the NHL rules.

I'm just interested more in the interpretation of the rules more than anything. I don't think he intentionally did some stompin', but a motion exists...so what was it?

CookeHitsKarlsson.gif

I know players have been suspended for stomping, I just can't find a specific rule for it.

I've pinned guys thousands of times into the boards using my leg to lock them out. It's what you are taught.

Tons of times I've lifted my leg like Cooke did there, right before pinning a guy. **** happens. You can see Karlsson engage Cooke and Cooke's momentum shifts, so he tries to stabilize himself on his outside skate and his foot comes up to try and pin Karlsson.

Cooke is even looking at the puck as it comes around. He isn't even looking at Karlsson's leg.

The guy made a promise to Lemieux he would clean up his game and did. He wasn't going to slew foot Karlsson or slice of his foot and eat it, like the mouthbreathers want to claim.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I don't think there is a specific rule. In the cases I mentioned, the NHL merely said that the play was intentionally reckless. Maybe they should revisit that in the off-season since there's been a lot of weird skate "accidents" of late? Treat it like they do sticks-- you're always responsible for your stick regardless of what else happens on the play.

To be honest, I always thought that was the rule. I spent the past 45 minutes re-reading the NHL rules (fun times) and I guess that's not the case.

It's just hard for me to process that that was, from start to finish, a clean play...I guess he got a 10 minute misconduct penalty though....take solace in that Cooke haters.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
To be honest, I always thought that was the rule. I spent the past 45 minutes re-reading the NHL rules (fun times) and I guess that's not the case.

It's just hard for me to process that that was, from start to finish, a clean play...I guess he got a 10 minute misconduct penalty though....take solace in that Cooke haters.

Man I feel for you living in Ottawa right now having to explain yourself to all the Sens fans!

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I've pinned guys thousands of times into the boards using my leg to lock them out. It's what you are taught.

Tons of times I've lifted my leg like Cooke did there, right before pinning a guy. **** happens. You can see Karlsson engage Cooke and Cooke's momentum shifts, so he tries to stabilize himself on his outside skate and his foot comes up to try and pin Karlsson.

Cooke is even looking at the puck as it comes around. He isn't even looking at Karlsson's leg.

The guy made a promise to Lemieux he would clean up his game and did. He wasn't going to slew foot Karlsson or slice of his foot and eat it, like the mouthbreathers want to claim.

No and I get all that. It was unintentional and accidental but I don't think that lifts the responsibility from him. It was a dangerous play and in this instance resulted in an injury, I was just surprised to find that my grip on the NHL rules in that area was off.

Granted I was a goalie for 15+ years so I'm not super familiar with the on-ice contact stuff (except for pretending I was hurt more than I actually was...I was good at that). So I can't provide any first hand knowledge and will defer to others who have played on that one.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
FriedgeHNIC 10:37am via Web

Waited for confirmation: Karlsson was not wearing protective Kevlar sock. Hope this leads to change. Real shame a magnificent talent is out.

I don't know much about equipment beyond the obvious stuff, are Kevlar socks something that NHLers usually wear?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
An accident, but careless. There was no need to have your leg up and you must be responsible on the ice with your blades at all times. Just freaking careless but with someone like Cooke he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt which is unfair to him but in the hockey world he will always pay for his sins . He is a good hockey player and Stanley Cup Champion but his reputation is tarnished and will always be.

A murderer won't get a benefit of the doubt in a court of law and Matt Cooke will not get it by many in the hockey world. I do believe that it was accidental but, again, wreckless and careless.

It was interesting to note those watching TSN how the first reaction by Ward and Pang completely changed by the time they went to their rehearsed clips. Pang stated right away why his leg was up that high. Ward also started off with the pretense of who the guy doing the cutting was.

I am most mad at the refs for not whistling the play dead. The freaking puck hit the mesh and I had a feeling in my stomach that something bad was going to happen, I always do when that scenario happens. But I was thinking we may get scored on.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Man I feel for you living in Ottawa right now having to explain yourself to all the Sens fans!

Ummm, I don't agree with that sentiment. Why should he have to? He doesn't have to explain it to anyone. Right now it's our perception vs. theirs. We truly can't say if it was intentional or not. Only Cooke truly knows that. Not saying he did it intentionally, but I wouldn't be shocked if the intent was there. It would be pretty messed up, even by his standards if it were the case. Even if lets say we knew 100 percent it wasn't intentional, the fact remains people are mad and have a right to be. I don't blame the Sens faithful. This is were we become an empathetic group, and understand if it was us going through the loss of Malkin or Crosby on a similar hit, we would be reacting in a similar fashion. Lets not kid ourselves. Especially if the opposing player causing the injury has a bad reputation... it makes it easy for the other side to be convinced it was intentional.

Having said all of that, the entire Senators fanbase doesn't all agree it was intentional. Some believe it was an accident.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No and I get all that. It was unintentional and accidental but I don't think that lifts the responsibility from him. It was a dangerous play and in this instance resulted in an injury, I was just surprised to find that my grip on the NHL rules in that area was off.

Granted I was a goalie for 15+ years so I'm not super familiar with the on-ice contact stuff (except for pretending I was hurt more than I actually was...I was good at that). So I can't provide any first hand knowledge and will defer to others who have played on that one.

It's pretty clear cut that Karlsson and Cooke are going for the puck and Karlsson pulls up a little and tries to body Cooke. Karlsson pushes into the upper left side of Cooke, sending him off balance. Cooke then has to shift his weight onto his right skate and swing his left leg to pin Karlsson.

This **** happens dozens of times every game. When you are taking a guy into the boards you are aiming your knee for between his legs to pin him. When a guy pulls up and bodies you like Karlsson did there, you are trying to recover and will sometimes lift your leg and swing it out to pin a guy, like Cooke tried to do.

I must of done that contess times and never shredded anyone up.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Watching the video again - it looks like Karlsson's strength almost got the best of Cooke at first. That's why his leg went up. Then he was using his strength to pin him.

People are delusional if they think it's any other way.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Watching the video again - it looks like Karlsson's strength almost got the best of Cooke at first. That's why his leg went up. Then he was using his strength to pin him.

People are delusional if they think it's any other way.

I don't think people are delusional. Again, we can't say 100 percent either way. I would like to think Matt Cooke is better than that and didn't do it on purpose. Still, I don't feel like knocking Sens fans and putting them down. Two wrongs don't make a right. I understand their grief and frustration. I truly do, that's why I am not going as far to say they are delusional or using other derogatory remarks.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
What I am against is the fans who want the hurt on Crosby and Malkin as revenge. Not everyone thinks this, but a lot do. That makes me sick to my stomach to read those comments. Again, people are going based on anger. So I can understand to a degree, but still think people should use more common sense before posting.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think people are delusional. Again, we can't say 100 percent either way. I would like to think Matt Cooke is better than that and didn't do it on purpose. Still, I don't feel like knocking Sens fans and putting them down. Two wrongs don't make a right. I understand their grief and frustration. I truly do, that's why I am not going as far to say they are delusional or using other derogatory remarks.

I'm not even mad at Sens fans. If you lose your best player like that, you are allowed to be irrational, to a point.

It's just funny to me how other fans act like idiots...

I decided to read the main board thread for a minute because I'm stupid and a guy with a Subban avatar said "It a reckless action. How does lifting your leg that high and cutting someone with a skate blade translate to a ''hockey play''?

I can't make this stuff up.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guys.. please don't quote the trolls. It just does no good for the conversation. The report button is a great tool for HF. They disappear because the Mods do a great job.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Guys.. please don't quote the trolls. It just does no good for the conversation. The report button is a great tool for HF. They disappear because the Mods do a great job.

The mods gotta let that one go.... It's too good.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I went to the game last night and Crosby was absolutely flying out there. You can tell that his vision and speed is really starting to return. In a span of a few seconds, he scooped up a puck and tossed a 20 ft saucer pass to Dupuis for an easy tap in. It's easy to see that he is really getting back to his game.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not even mad at Sens fans. If you lose your best player like that, you are allowed to be irrational, to a point.

I decided to read the main board thread for a minute because I'm stupid and a guy with a Subban avatar said "It a reckless action. How does lifting your leg that high and cutting someone with a skate blade translate to a ''hockey play''?

It doesn't get any better than that.

This is so perfectly said. I agree that a team that loses their best player can be irrational. I also think it's a freaking JOKE that someone said he should wear kevlar socks. This was a freak accident. Even slow-motion I can't believe the skate gets in there. Could you imagine full speed?

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
This is so perfectly said. I agree that a team that loses their best player can be irrational. I also think it's a freaking JOKE that someone said he should wear kevlar socks. This was a freak accident. Even slow-motion I can't believe the skate gets in there. Could you imagine full speed?

Why is it a joke that he should wear Kevlar socks? Every player should look into wearing them if they provide a level of protection from skate blades, accidental cuts or not.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009

I can't make this stuff up.

Hey, I got infracted for the first time last night because I was so upset for the Sens fans and wanted to say I felt their pain and wanted to talk about how good Da Costa looked. His tape-to-tape passes are unreal and he could have had 3 points in that game if it weren't for the fact Alfie got two posts. Of course, I called out a fan who posted Crosby should die, which I replied, that is gross and uncalled for. More disgusting is the fact Sid had nothing to do with the incident. I was infracted for trolling. I said to the mod where have I trolled once... the infraction was reversed. My point is, it probably wasn't the best call to go into a Karlsson injury thread moments after the incident with the handle I have. Still, it happens. Am I going to stop showing that fan base respect? Nope. They are passionate fans like you and I, who simply are basing their comments on emotions vs. logic and reason. We have all been there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad