Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Red Wings and it didn't go so well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bylsma would also have this team playing some pretty good hockey while missing half the line-up, Sully is clueless when he loses just Geno.

Still hate Disco though.

Sully won a Cup without Letang and just went on a pretty great run recently without Letang, Dumo for some of it, and Geno for some of it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
+ Murray
- This board has become insufferable anytime we aren't blowing someone out. Worse than normal even.

The one great thing about us not scoring lately is its been preparing Murray big time for playoff hockey.

Im curious to see how he plays if we were scoring our usual 3-5 goals. Does he let in more? That was the prob last year...going into the playoffs and throughout.

I wouldn't worry about our lack of scoring...I keep mentioning how they switched up their style. How many times did people complain about the constant odd man rushes we let up? Thats not an issue anymore. We are much better defensively. And at first that does take away from offense. Now we just need to get healthy and the goals will come having that much talent as usual.

Teams got used to our style of play...we werent beating teams with speed anymore. We were still getting banged up. I love the fact they added a bit of every thing this year.

1. Crosby/Guentzel obviously taking it easy until playoffs.

2. Malkin and Letang are out

3. Weve had wins lately due to McCann scoring 2 in one. Blueger scoring 2 in another. Cullen and Wilson last game. Bjugstad in another. We are getting secondary scoring. We just dont have our top guys right now.. Just wait til they start doing what they do. To go with the rest of these guys.

No idea why people arent excited about the playoffs. McCann/Bjugstad over Brassard/Sheahan alone should provide that. Add Petterson, Cullen, Blueger. Murray more consistent.

And people should know by now the Pens don't care about winning the division. They dont do the typical things other teams do this time of the season. For them it's all about preparing for a long playoff run

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I almost hope we miss just so I can read some spicy takes all summer. Geno to Russia, Sid's career is done, Letang's being forced into retirement, Murray's G L O V E, Sully!!!! :mad:

:laugh:

I don't think much changes really from what we've already been saying needs to happen.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sully seems like he neutered the team by focusing on "team defense".

Jr made some nice moves, but I think the team needs to pivot this offseason including dumping the Sully.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
The one great thing about us not scoring lately is its been preparing Murray big time for playoff hockey.

Im curious to see how he plays if we were scoring our usual 3-5 goals. Does he let in more? That was the prob last year...going into the playoffs and throughout.

I wouldn't worry about our lack of scoring...I keep mentioning how they switched up their style. How many times did people complain about the constant odd man rushes we let up? Thats not an issue anymore. We are much better defensively. And at first that does take away from offense. Now we just need to get healthy and the goals will come having that much talent as usual.

Teams got used to our style of play...we werent beating teams with speed anymore. We were still getting banged up. I love the fact they added a bit of every thing this year.

1. Crosby/Guentzel obviously taking it easy until playoffs.

2. Malkin and Letang are out

3. Weve had wins lately due to McCann scoring 2 in one. Blueger scoring 2 in another. Cullen and Wilson last game. Bjugstad in another. We are getting secondary scoring. We just dont have our top guys right now.. Just wait til they start doing what they do. To go with the rest of these guys.

No idea why people arent excited about the playoffs. McCann/Bjugstad over Brassard/Sheahan alone should provide that. Add Petterson, Cullen, Blueger. Murray more consistent.

And people should know by now the Pens don't care about winning the division. They dont do the typical things other teams do this time of the season. For them it's all about preparing for a long playoff run

Good stuff except for the part that we are 2 losses away from missing the playoffs. Keep resting guys though!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Psh, we've always been insufferable.
giphy.gif

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
+ Kessel scored an even strength goal!
- Our offense has become a joke.
- Crosby's controller disconnected moment on the game-winning goal. I am not sure if he could have stopped the pass but he had to at least try.

The intensity just wasn't there. Need a win Thursday badly.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Detroit has been playing well. Pens did not feel the need to really get up for this one. Makes for boring puck but whatever. Not too surprising and I put little stock into a loss like this. Would have been nice to clinch tho

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Nobody looks like a threat out there anymore. (Outside of Guentzel that is)

I remember not so long ago where it didn't matter what line was on the ice - I'd have a feeling like "Oh, this is DEFINITELY X's night for a goal, he's due.."

Right now I feel genuinely surprised when we score one. My subconscious rolled its' eyes when I got excited to see Phil on the breakaway... shouldn't have got my hopes up.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
They can't possibly miss the playoffs so this loss wasn't a big deal. The other teams will take care of it for them.

Also the 3rd line went to **** with Rust on that line too. Maybe people need to start admitting to themselves that he's a streaky player, and when he's not producing, he isn't very good and is capable of bring lines down. Sorry in advance for the hurt feelings. o_O
If they do not win at least 1 of 2 they will miss. All 3 teams behind us will win out, including Montreal.

Montreal has tough opponents, but those opponents have nothing to play for.

Carolina and Columbus have easiest possible schedules.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
+ Kessel scored an even strength goal!
- Our offense has become a joke.
- Crosby's controller disconnected moment on the game-winning goal. I am not sure if he could have stopped the pass but he had to at least try.

The intensity just wasn't there. Need a win Thursday badly.
I'm prettttttttty sure I see phillip standing still on the ice more so than I see any other forward do so.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the percentage of chance for us to miss the playoffs is below 1 with Cbus’s loss.

Not exactly. CAR is back to two points behind us and CLB/MTL are three....if we lose Thurs and they win again, we drop to WC1 and if we lose again against the Rags and CLB/MTL wins, we are out...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they do not win at least 1 of 2 they will miss. All 3 teams behind us will win out, including Montreal.

Montreal has tough opponents, but those opponents have nothing to play for.

Carolina and Columbus have easiest possible schedules.

All three teams need to win out and we have to not get a single point for us to miss the playoffs.

Reactions: shoplifter

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As for the game, there is a reason Detroit has now won 6 straight, beating numerous really good teams pretty badly.
They're quick and lethal on the break and their best players are playing their best hockey right now. Currently also extremely efficient with their chances.

With Malkin, Letang, Dumoulin and Zar missing, we are not close to our best even if everyone were fired up for it, which they were not. I do think we were clearly the better team until the 1-3 goal that killed it off though. Just a matter of breaks and Howard having a good day not giving out any rebounds.
We can start getting noia if this happens again in the return leg, but lets not pretend we are not used to late in the season whippings from Detroit. We've had that also in recent cup years.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Seriously though, we're a borderline team hobbled by injury and too many guys underperforming. We've had stretches where Sid's line or Murray carry the team to nice streaks, but the issues have been the same all year. It happens. Just enjoy the ride and try not to get too bent out of shape when the team doesn't play exceptional hockey. Because, well, we're not an exceptional team. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad