Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - What happened to the Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Great write-up from a live perspective. My problem with Pyatt is that his board work actually cost us a goal did it not? He was in the corner where he got outworked for a puck. If he's not doing that right, he's pointless. But not as pointless as Adams/Glass.

Glass had a 50/50 puck during the game and stops skating only to come late and finish his check.

Im trying to remember the play... Not sure on that TBTH.

Pyatt just bullied his way onto the puck a few times in 50/50 battles and it was nice to see. He bulled his way in front of the net from behind late in the fourth and caused all kinds of havoc in front of Hank.

Unfortunately it was Quicksand and Glass out there and they both just fell into the crease, so nothing came of it.

Like I said, Pyatt could dominate if he wanted it seems. He's so huge and powerful. However, like I said I won't be shocked if the adrenaline wears off and he floats and completes the trifecta of useless fourth liners.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Im trying to remember the play... Not sure on that TBTH.

Pyatt just bullied his way onto the puck a few times in 50/50 battles and it was nice to see. He bulled his way in front of the net from behind late in the fourth and caused all kinds of havoc in front of Hank.

Unfortunately it was Quicksand and Glass out there and they both just fell into the crease, so nothing came of it.

Like I said, Pyatt could dominate if he wanted it seems. He's so huge and powerful. However, like I said I won't be shocked if the adrenaline wears off and he floats and completes the trifecta of useless fourth liners.

I really want Pyatt to work out just for the size, if he doesn't it's no real loss, but it would be nice. I think Kobasew already completed the trifecta, though.

How did Fleury look?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
It's amazing to see how he flew up after trying to make that hit. That just doesn't happen a lot in the NHL for how strong these dudes are. That is ridiculous.

Video game like.

It was like a Judo move. Moore tried to deliver a hit and Engelland used his momentum against him. He essentially redirected Moore's kinetic energy into the boards while adding on some of his own.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Pyatt has no business staying in the lineup as soon as Malkin is ready. And before people start up with the whole 'Gladams' thing, I'm talking about realistic possibilities to sit here, not fantasy land.

When Malkin returns, it's Pyatt or Gibbons or Vitale or Sill or Engelland, or Engelland goes back to defense and either Despres or Maatta sits (assuming Bortuzzo already sits for Letang's return).

There's no way Pyatt should see ice time ahead of any of those guys.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pyatt has no business staying in the lineup as soon as Malkin is ready. And before people start up with the whole 'Gladams' thing, I'm talking about realistic possibilities to sit here, not fantasy land.

When Malkin returns, it's Pyatt or Gibbons or Vitale or Sill or Engelland, or Engelland goes back to defense and either Despres or Maatta sits (assuming Bortuzzo already sits for Letang's return).

I agree. I think Bort sits for Letang, and then I think either Gibbons or another d-man sits when Geno returns with Engo going back to D. It should be a decision between Pyatt, Adams and Glass sitting, but it won't be.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

When Malkin comes back and what to do to make room for him is one thing. When Megna and Bennett come back, it's going to get a whole lot more complicated up front -- yet a bit easier because the best players will play, and guys like Gibbons, Pyatt, Sill and Engelland may sit. Vitale should never sit. Engo should see more time on the RW if/when there's injury or we want more toughness, etc.

I do not, however, think that Bortuzzo (or any of our top, young and developing Dmen) should besitting for long stretches. If we split the games 1/3rd + 1/3rd + 1/3rd between Despres, Maatta and Bortuzzo, they can all get a decent amount of playing time with only brief stretches in between. If we do that, on the nights where Bortuzzo sits, Despres can play the right side. On the nights where Maatta sits, Despres can play the left. The 1/3rd idea can be the plan going forward and should still allow each of these guys enough opportunities to both develop and have the competition to see who plays best. If one guy falters, the better guy(s) will get more games. If there were more injuries, those 3 guys would each get some more games.

To me, how to handle the Dmen is a very easy decision. Dumoulin clearly could use more seasoning in the minors, and there's no rush to bring Samuelsson or Harrington up for similar reasons. Let those 3 guys be the go-to guys down in WBS. But the 3 young guys that are up here now should all have good opportunity to play.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I agree. I think Bort sits for Letang, and then I think either Gibbons or another d-man sits when Geno returns with Engo going back to D. It should be a decision between Pyatt, Adams and Glass sitting, but it won't be.

I wouldn't be surprised if HCDB tries Pyatt on Geno's line. Not sure how the rest of the lines might shake out. I'd guess he'd keep JJ and Gibbons together with Sutter and put Vitale back with Sid. Could be wrong. I'd still like to see him try JJ on Sid's RW. Not holding my breath on that one.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really want Pyatt to work out just for the size, if he doesn't it's no real loss, but it would be nice. I think Kobasew already completed the trifecta, though.

How did Fleury look?

I rarely comment on goalies unless its really bad, because I never played the position and don't understand much about goalies beyond the basics; being square, kicking pucks to the corner, etc.

He looked good from what I saw though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It was like a Judo move. Moore tried to deliver a hit and Engelland used his momentum against him. He essentially redirected Moore's kinetic energy into the boards while adding on some of his own.

Orpik does quite a few of these during the season. Players think they have him lined up along the boards and boom, he shrugs them off in flying fashion.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Vitale/Sill should be mainstays on our 4th line. Rotate Engelland and Pyatt in. Send Glass and Adams to DB's man cave to watch highlights of DB.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Joe Vitale's faceoff numbers are just gaudy. It's really incredible how good he is in the dot. Also an interesting note...Sid has taken 125 more faceoffs than the next closest player.

And don't look now...Geno is winning 52% of his draws this season.

Another interesting faceoff statistic...winger Brian Little of Winnipeg has taken 869 faceoffs this season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Little wasn't so important to that team, Id love to pick him up. Genuinely creative top 6 talent. Can obviously play center well. RHS as a bonus.

From there, you pick up McGinn and this team is set.

Sid, Geno, Sutter, Jokinen, Little, Sill, Vitale and Adams. Maybe that'd be enough capable centers for this injury plagued team.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Great write-up from a live perspective. My problem with Pyatt is that his board work actually cost us a goal did it not? He was in the corner where he got outworked for a puck. If he's not doing that right, he's pointless. But not as pointless as Adams/Glass.

Pyatt went in and got body position on Brassard, who then managed to reach around him and touch back the puck. Pouliot beat Orpik to the lose puck and found Zuccarello who scored.

If anything that was a good play by Brassard more so than Pyatt being outworked.

I mean, I don't have the highest expectations of Pyatt for sure, but if he brings what he did against the Rangers consistently, he should be a starter on this team - if nothing else as a 4th liner when we get healthy. This of course necessitates Gladams not playing and is thus unlikely. Instead we are probably going to end up hating on Pyatt for keeping Megna out :laugh: .

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pyatt went in and got body position on Brassard, who then managed to reach around him and touch back the puck. Pouliot beat Orpik to the lose puck and found Zuccarello who scored.

If anything that was a good play by Brassard more so than Pyatt being outworked.

I mean, I don't have the highest expectations of Pyatt for sure, but if he brings what he did against the Rangers consistently, he should be a starter on this team - if nothing else as a 4th liner when we get healthy. This of course necessitates Gladams not playing and is thus unlikely. Instead we are probably going to end up hating on Pyatt for keeping Megna out :laugh: .

Do you like Pyatt more than Sill and Engelland on the 4th line?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'm really going to try and make a commitment to only blaming Gladams for that. Gladams and Bylsma.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Pyatt bumps Glass out of the lineup, great. But I doubt that happens.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know this entire board agrees, but Engo is one hell of a player when he's 7th d-man/4th line winger. He really does what we wanted Adams/Glass to do as a 4th line winger. Him and Joey V actually had good chemistry, too. Plus i feel comfortable because he knows the importance of clearing a puck in the d-zone.

I hate line spit ballin' but Vitale and Engo would 1000000% be on my 4th line. I'd also use Gibbons/Sill/Pyatt rotating through because each of them give something special to the team. Gibbons for his outrageous speed. Sill for his tenacity. Pyatt if he can possess the puck like Joey V does. That could wear down opposing teams defenders and draw penalties.

I would also use both Megnatron and Beau when both are healthy. Both of those guys have given this team something that we haven't seen in awhile. I want to keep them around.

Crosby with Kunitz and Beau/Megna/Pickup
Malkin with Neal and Beau/Megna(goes to the net)/Pickup
Sutter with Megna and Jussi/Pickup
Vitale with Engo and Sill/Pyatt/Gibbons

Adams/Glass cut. Yikes. That will never happen.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Crosby with Kunitz and Beau/Megna/Pickup
Malkin with Neal and Beau/Megna(goes to the net)/Pickup
Sutter with Megna and Jussi/Pickup
Vitale with Engo and Sill/Pyatt/Gibbons

Adams/Glass cut. Yikes. That will never happen.

Can't help myself

Kunitz Crosby Bennett
Kulemin Malkin Neal
Pyatt Sutter Megna
Jokinen Vitale Engelland

With us double shifting Sid/Malkin on the 4th line in Engelland's place to make that an extra scoring line when needed/to exploit opponents 4th lines.
That third line gives Sutter lots of help on the boards and should be very much sufficient to close down most teams bottom 6 lines whereas our top 6 can play anyone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Pyatt bumps Glass out of the lineup, great. But I doubt that happens.

With a fully healthy roster, this is the only scenario in which I'll be 100% in favor of Pyatt playing. That, or instead of Adams. But if it means a guy like Sill or Vitale (or Bennett, knowing Bylsma), then no thanks.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If Little wasn't so important to that team, Id love to pick him up. Genuinely creative top 6 talent. Can obviously play center well. RHS as a bonus.

From there, you pick up McGinn and this team is set.

There are a lot of forwards on or in the WPG system, including Little, that would be great on this team. They are, however, a poor trade partner for us because their relative organizational strength is on defense, and hence they are not good trading partners for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad