Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - The Single Hat

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I'm going to give a minus to Despres today for getting into trouble at times, but I am going to give a big plus to Dan Bylsma for recognizing this and making the change on defense with the pairings.

Aside from just Despres' own play, I noticed that Letang was looking very uncomfortable with him (due to lack of trust factor) and did not make some of the expected D-to-D plays that he would to a trusted defense partner. It's one thing for the coach to look at a player's own play and reward/punish his ice-time accordingly, but it's also important to see how that player's own linemates or, in this case, D partners are reacting & performing. Letang started to look more comfortable when he started getting paired with Engelland (and on some shifts Orpik), when Despres was benched or demoted to the bottom pairing with Bortuzzo.

Also, while I have been an ardent TK supporter for a long time, I am going to give TK a big minus for his play today and of late. I understand that there was no training camp and a lot of time off, and that TK did not have the benefit of playing somewhere overseas during the lockout. But now that we're approaching 10 games in, and soon we'll be 1/4 through the season, TK better start turning it on or else there is good probability that he may go from being a 20-goal threat who is a real anchor on our 3rd line, to possible trade fodder -- or worse, being benched and seeing his (what was fairly substantial) trade value go down the toilet. TK better start turning things around quikcly.

I saw a few shifts that Despres was with Engelland and didn't look bad.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Saw it, they only mentioned that they were mixed up when Sid retaliated. I think somebody posted that a few shifts later Bort was chirping at him.

Yeah, Sid gave a little poke to Ribeiro's back that ruffled his jersey. Definitely nothing serious, especially compared to taking an elbow to the chin.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So when Nisky is ready, I wouldn't hate...

Dupes - Sid - Kunitz/Boychuk
Boychuk/Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - TK
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Letang - Despres
Orpik - Martin
Engelland - Bort

Trade Nisky for top 6 help. Waive Lovejoy.

And then call up Strait to be your #7!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to give a MINUS to Despres today for getting into trouble at times, but I am going to give a big PLUS to Dan Bylsma for recognizing this and making the change on defense with the pairings.

Aside from just Despres' own play, I noticed that Letang was looking very uncomfortable with him (due to lack of trust factor) and did not make some of the expected D-to-D plays that he would to a trusted defense partner. It's one thing for the coach to look at a player's own play and reward/punish his ice-time accordingly, but it's also important to see how that player's own linemates or, in this case, D partners are reacting & performing. Letang started to look more comfortable when he started getting paired with Engelland (and on some shifts Orpik), when Despres was benched or demoted to the bottom pairing with Bortuzzo.

Also, while I have been an ardent TK supporter for a long time, I am going to give TK a big MINUS for his play today and of late. I understand that there was no training camp and a lot of time off, and that TK did not have the benefit of playing somewhere overseas during the lockout. But now that we're approaching 10 games in, and soon we'll be 1/4 through the season, TK better start turning it on or else there is good probability that he may go from being a 20-goal threat who is a real anchor on our 3rd line, to possible trade fodder -- or worse, being benched and seeing his (what was fairly substantial) trade value go down the toilet. TK better start turning things around quikcly.

I wrote yesterday that, while I'm not sure that Boychuk 'solves' the L2 LW issue, his presence does make TK's role on the team expendable. He had a really incredible shift with Sutter and Cooke, where the line had a few chances and Boychuk was robbed on the doorstep. TK's neutral zone decision making was brutal today.

I would like him to end up replacing TK on the third line and making it even easier to move TK in a package

Right there with you . . .

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
I was watching the game delayed, so I did not get a chance to read any of our GDT today.

Just curious if it was noted, during the 2nd period, that POS Ribeiro taking the FO vs. Sid, turns his back to Sid and throws a wicked "accidental on purpose" elbow right to Sid's chin. It caught Sid clean. Obviously the refs didn't see it because no penalty. Just wondering if others saw the same.

I saw this but apparently nobody else did. I really think Washington is a dirty team. Sometimes they make the Pens play at their level. I'm glad the Pens didn't sink to the Washington level today.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
+ Vindication... when our grubby wingers successfully involved the defense in our puck movement game, getting shots off in the offensive zone (non-PP) from somewhere other than down low. mtlpensfan owes me a box of Tim Horton's Maple Frosted. :D

+ Letang was contributing in all phases today. Good to see him back on his game.

+ Bort / Engo looking like a very solid bottom pairing that adds some of what this team needs. However I have this feeling of dread which says "players don't lose their spot because of injury". Even though in this case two guys probably should lose their spot (or get traded) because of what we're seeing develop on the blue line the last two games.

+ Matt Cooke pissed some people off today. Good job Matt Cooke.

+ Canucks mgmt in the bldg to set up the Schneider and Kassian for Fleury, TK and a 1st trade. :sarcasm: Ovy - Luongo anyone? Would be pretty funny / make for an entertaining deadline.

- Musical chairs hockey by Bylsma every time we get a substantial lead in a game. I'm pretty sure he's doing it just to taunt us / has no real reason for it. Damn youuu. Damn you all to HELL, Bylsmania!

- Boychuk looked on several occasions (to me anyway -- but I seem to be the only one) like he didn't know where he was supposed to be on the ice. Also his small frame showed up a couple times today. One time he tried finish his check open ice and actually knocked himself down hitting someone, while the other guy just bounced off. Crazy yoots!

He needs to learn the x's and o's as our system is probably very different from Carolina's. Might take him a while; not sure how many chances he'll be given though. I do give him a + for being aggressive and skating hard out there, trying to make things happen (he almost had a great play early in the game but didn't quite work out).

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
+Kunitz. Welcome to the season! Started 2 weeks ago btw. Still think we need another winger. Kunitz has had 2 good games, let's not get overboard. But thank you for showing up.

+Boychuck. Playing like he wants to stay. Great speed and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet a few times.

-Despres. Rough one.

-PK Orpik. GET THE PUCK OUT!!!

-3rd period.

=Sid/Geno. I don't think they played bad, just want to see what everyone thinks on these two.. especially in Sid, I just do not see the burst he once had. I'm not going to say he looks slow but he just seems off. Geno has just been a bit too quiet. (beauty of a pass though) I could be wrong about these two but idk.

=Neal. I heard about the backchecking work he did, which is nice and I'll give him that. Paid to score though and idk if he even had any shots.

=Vokoun. Made some good saves, some stupid goals against. Just thought he was a bit shaky.

Can't agree on Sid at all. He made a lot of moves to the middle, a lot of quick-strike quick-step moves. He had that one partial breakaway, he almost danced in between two defenders with a bouncing puck, and he walked out early and got a good chance. Just some of the plays he made this game showing the level he's at and the fact he's as good as ever.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+Kunitz. Welcome to the season! Started 2 weeks ago btw. Still think we need another winger. Kunitz has had 2 good games, let's not get overboard. But thank you for showing up.

+Boychuck. Playing like he wants to stay. Great speed and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet a few times.

-Despres. Rough one.

-PK Orpik. GET THE PUCK OUT!!!

-3rd period.

=Sid/Geno. I don't think they played bad, just want to see what everyone thinks on these two.. especially in Sid, I just do not see the burst he once had. I'm not going to say he looks slow but he just seems off. Geno has just been a bit too quiet. (beauty of a pass though) I could be wrong about these two but idk.

=Neal. I heard about the backchecking work he did, which is nice and I'll give him that. Paid to score though and idk if he even had any shots.

=Vokoun. Made some good saves, some stupid goals against. Just thought he was a bit shaky.

Sid finally had the burst all weekend. Geno has been quiet. Not bad, just quiet.

EDIT: While Geno, Neal, and Boychuk backchecked hard, there definitely are issues in terms of how that trio plays defensively in zone.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Can't agree on Sid at all. He made a lot of moves to the middle, a lot of quick-strike quick-step moves. He had that one partial breakaway, he almost danced in between two defenders with a bouncing puck, and he walked out early and got a good chance. Just some of the plays he made this game showing the level he's at and the fact he's as good as ever.

Yeah Sid looked great. There was also a play at the end of the 2nd I think where he JUST couldn't get a handle of a stretch (LOL) pass, but if he did he was inbetween the D and would've had a great chance.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I should clarify that I thought Sid looked fantastic yesterday. Idk I guess I'm just used to Sid/Geno generating more than they have been. Seems like it atleast.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
As I keep saying, as long as the trend line is pointed in the right direction, then the expected short term ups and downs are o'k.

Yep, just read a lot of stuff on Despres today with people being rather unhappy with the kid. He just looked flustered by getting the **** hit out of him repeatedly in the first. Not saying it's OK, but I'm guessing he didn't really experience that in Jrs or the A.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I should clarify that I thought Sid looked fantastic yesterday. Idk I guess I'm just used to Sid/Geno generating more than they have been. Seems like it atleast.

I would say the consistent burst would be the only thing missing, but we are seeing it. He was shot out of a cannon a few times these past two games. For any other player he's played great lately. For Sid he's been really good, just want to see that speed through the neutral zone and the whirling dervish board work all the time not just some of the time.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I thought Sid created multiple good scoring chances for himself, on top of the chances he created for others. Thought he was just a bounce or two from a multiple goal game.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
The breakout is susceptible to a team that lays back in a more passive 1-2-2 or comes with an all out forecheck. I think it's MORE susceptible to the passive 1-2-2 which 'invites' the controlled breakout stretch pass, but the all out forecheck also poses problems where forwards are told to break up ice when it looks like (but is hardly assured) that the puck is clearing the zone.

Cole's pointed it out before, this team is good at coming out en masse with short, quick passesand good support.

As you called it, Kirk, as soon as the other team pressures and the forwards don't drop down to support or the opposing team does the opposite and sits back... Turnover city.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yep, just read a lot of stuff on Despres today with people being rather unhappy with the kid. He just looked flustered by getting the **** hit out of him repeatedly in the first. Not saying it's OK, but I'm guessing he didn't really experience that in Jrs or the A.

The catch is what Despres needs to learn, he's only going to learn where he is, being used like he is. If Dan Bylsma continues to accept that, then IMO he'll be rewarded for that decision in April. Whether he does or doesn't depends upon when Nisky returns and Bylsma isn't having his hand forced.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Another really good game. Boychuk is just flying. Sid,Letang,Martin,Cooke,Kunitz and Malkin all played very good. Despres,Orpik and TK didn't have their best games.The 3rd period worried me, but i hope that's fatigue.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The catch is what Despres needs to learn, he's only going to learn where he is, being used like he is. If Dan Bylsma continues to accept that, then IMO he'll be rewarded for that decision in April. Whether he does or doesn't depends upon when Nisky returns and Bylsma isn't having his hand forced.

And consider the alternative: how would Lovejoy have looked today?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Cole's pointed it out before, this team is good at coming out en masse with short, quick passesand good support.

As you called it, Kirk, as soon as the other team pressures and the forwards don't drop down to support or the opposing team does the opposite and sits back... Turnover city.

Today, the forwards were a little better in support against the pressure (and collectively the defensemen were better with the quick decisions) than say against Toronto.

BUT, for the 5 minutes to open the third where Washington went passive 1-2-2, the Pens went right back to the stretch passing, and the Capitals feasted on it.

THAT is how you defend the Pens. Either you go super aggressive or totally passive on the forecheck. Anything in between works to the Pens advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad