Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - The Single Hat

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Defense: This is by far the best our defense has played since MT days. :amazed: That hurts to say that. Martin, Orpik, and Tangers are solid. I can't give enough praise to Martin this season. He admitted to his piss-poor play and he really lived up to his word so far. (Key words.. so far).

Now we get into the 3 surprises. Engo, Bort, and Despres are beyond anything I would have expected. I think Engo feels at home when he's paired with a guy like Bort. They are rough, tough, and put anyone/anything on their ass. So many times I've watched clear lanes on rebounds because everyone is on their butt.

I have no clue what happens when Nisky returns because even he was playing tremendous hockey. But I truly like 4 tough defenders in the line up.

+ Fourth Line: You guys are going to hate me for sounding like a broken record. What can I say? Every time they are out there the shift is in the offensive zone wearing down the opposition. Vitale leads the way with aggression and Adams/Glass follow through on their end, too. They are tremendous.

+ Backchecking: James Neal might have stopped 4-5 offensive chances himself, but every foreword was busting their ***** back into our d-zone today. It allows our defense to gap up and know we have numbers. Granted, it's part successful because the Caps were SO SLOW coming through the neutral zone. But they still came back and busted their ***** making it very difficult for the Caps to gain any odd man rushes.

+ Geno, Sid, Kunitz: Just a quick mention that I thought all three guys played well. Kunitz had his season opener tonight after terrifyingly bad start. Sid/Geno were out there flying and creating chances. Also.. this was one of Sid's best defensive games in a long time. He was dominant in our zone.

Also honorable mentions to guys like Sutter and Boychuk who I also thought played very well.

+ The "single hat": Crosby has done a lot in 2 games to show he wants this team together. Forced pucks to Koon for the hatty. Giving Sutter the goal. Cooke giving Engo the goal. This is ****ing awesome.

I'm glad to see Kunitz have a game like this. He needed it.

Minus

Third Period: I know we played yesterday, but we just thought Washington was going to give up. We could lose games that way. No lead is safe in the NHL. You can't just go into a 1-2-2 and dump everything.

This is where I put it on Bylsma a bit. You switched to a 1-2-2 for what reason? We sat back waaaaay too much. Gotta play 60 minutes like yesterday and put the skate on the throat of an opponent.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I can't be two down on them because of the 3rd period Cole. Back to back games wear on you, especially when the Caps are running anything that moves. Just be thankful we held 'em off and stuck the dagger in with style.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I know some players who were lauded yesterday (Despres and Bortuzzo mainly) looked worse today, I'll just say this: young players on a back-to-back and playing what appeared to me to be the most physical game of the season. Washington played desperate, they were forechecking hard. Those young players will have ups and downs, this was a down. It'll get better.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Pretty much agree. + for all, except the third period change of play. Why?!?! Stick with what's working.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't be two down on them because of the 3rd period Cole. Back to back games wear on you, especially when the Caps are running anything that moves. Just be thankful we held 'em off and stuck the dagger in with style.

I agree. Washington/New Jersey are two good foes to take on, too. I just think we could have tried a little bit more.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know he had 2 points but Malkin was pretty quiet tonight and has been quiet this season in general. I hope he gets amped up again soon. Sid is on one of his Sid streaks right now so we don't need Malkin to dominate but it'd be nice.

Minus to the stretch passes when we're protecting a lead. Just make short simple plays and avoid turnovers. Caps got back into it in the 3rd because we kept turning it over on the breakout.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The new PP setup is something I'm liking. The puck is going through the guy it should be going through.

AccuracyFive

87SidGeno71
May 16, 2012
Plus

+ Defense: This is by far the best our defense has played since MT days. :amazed: That hurts to say that. Martin, Orpik, and Tangers are solid. I can't give enough praise to Martin this season. He admitted to his piss-poor play and he really lived up to his word so far. (Key words.. so far).

Now we get into the 3 surprises. Engo, Bort, and Despres are beyond anything I would have expected. I think Engo feels at home when he's paired with a guy like Bort. They are rough, tough, and put anyone/anything on their ass. So many times I've watched clear lanes on rebounds because everyone is on their butt.

I have no clue what happens when Nisky returns because even he was playing tremendous hockey. But I truly like 4 tough defenders in the line up.

+ Fourth Line: You guys are going to hate me for sounding like a broken record. What can I say? Every time they are out there the shift is in the offensive zone wearing down the opposition. Vitale leads the way with aggression and Adams/Glass follow through on their end, too. They are tremendous.

+ Backchecking: James Neal might have stopped 4-5 offensive chances himself, but every foreword was busting their ***** back into our d-zone today. It allows our defense to gap up and know we have numbers. Granted, it's part successful because the Caps were SO SLOW coming through the neutral zone. But they still came back and busted their ***** making it very difficult for the Caps to gain any odd man rushes.

+ Geno, Sid, Kunitz: Just a quick mention that I thought all three guys played well. Kunitz had his season opener tonight after terrifyingly bad start. Sid/Geno were out there flying and creating chances. Also.. this was one of Sid's best defensive games in a long time. He was dominant in our zone.

Also honorable mentions to guys like Sutter and Boychuk who I also thought played very well.

+ The "single hat": Crosby has done a lot in 2 games to show he wants this team together. Forced pucks to Koon for the hatty. Giving Sutter the goal. Cooke giving Engo the goal. This is ****ing awesome.

I'm glad to see Kunitz have a game like this. He needed it.

Minus

Third Period: I know we played yesterday, but we just thought Washington was going to give up. We could lose games that way. No lead is safe in the NHL. You can't just go into a 1-2-2 and dump everything.

This is where I put it on Bylsma a bit. You switched to a 1-2-2 for what reason? We sat back waaaaay too much. Gotta play 60 minutes like yesterday and put the skate on the throat of an opponent.

Agreed with everything especially the "single hat." I am loving the team effort here.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I know some players who were lauded yesterday (Despres and Bortuzzo mainly) looked worse today, I'll just say this: young players on a back-to-back and playing what appeared to me to be the most physical game of the season. Washington played desperate, they were forechecking hard. Those young players will have ups and downs, this was a down. It'll get better.

Yeah, it looked like Despres was the main target among our defensemen today for the Caps forecheckers. Usually it is Letang that gets the most of that type of attention, but I guess their advance scouts noted that Despres was probably our best dmen last two games and planned accordingly. They were crushing Despres at every opportunity.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Meh. I don't like the layback in the third. Trying to protect a 5-3 lead when there was still 15:00 minutes left?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Pretty much agree. + for all, except the third period change of play. Why?!?! Stick with what's working.

They kept the pressure up yesterday with the lead, but I think the early pp for the caps gave them some momentum, and they managed to stem the tide.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
LOVE beating NJ and Washington back to back like this, what a great weekend!

Still liked how Boychuk played today. He looks like a good fit with our centers so far.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
Pancakes beat me to it, and I know I talked ad nauseum about it in the GDT, but the breakout needs fixed. It has the potential to ruin this team, especially when the players aren't back checking to fix the issues (see: Winnipeg, Toronto, NYI games).

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's just interesting to see how much difference an emotionally-invested Sid is making to this team.

He seemed dead or sleepwalking up through the Isles game, and suddenly came back to life against the Devils, and stayed emotionally invested throughout this game. And it carries over to other players (Kunitz moreso than anyone else, unsurprisingly).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
++++
Jammersdaughter.jpg

No need to nitpick.

Chraa

May 9, 2009
Stockholm
+ Good effort in both games in back-to-back afternoon games! (Which is awesome for us Europeans) Aren't we supposed to be terrible in afternoon games?

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
PP looked good, would like to see more movement but at least we are getting solid chances.

Boychuk, again, looked dangerous. Lots of chances and set up plays, and surprisingly he isn't afraid to throw the body. Solid pickup so far, hoping he can keep it up.

Vokoun kinda came back down to earth today. Brain far on the stanchion goal and some big rebounds at times, but came up big on others (big steals on OV)

Crosby and Kunitz piggybacking off a solid effort yesterday with big points.

Good defense as well.

If we keep this up, this is the team we were supposed to be all year.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Kunitz had 4 goals. Dunno what their problem is. Correct it.

Anyways: Solid, solid game. The Caps blow I mean come on, but we played really well. Easy when the other team isn't physical in the least. They just lack so much determination and physicality, and Holtby wasn't good.

By the way folks, this was what a hockey game should be. A lot of skating, good physical play, and *gasp* consistent scoring chances. About 10x better than perfect system hockey where both teams' only goal is to not make a mistake.

KiuasWarrior

Mar 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
+ Koon with the hatty, swear the first goal was his too... sure looked like it.
+ Croz racking up the points
+ Top unit out with game in hand at the end of the 3rd.

- Those damn boards.
- Third was a little sloppy, but... back to back games.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
++ the game today. Beat up on one Baltimore-Washington idiot, make it a great day by taking care of the other one tonight.
++ team defense
++ Kunitz
+ Vokun. Made some tough saves when we needed it.

-- Adams. Dude needs a clue. Terrible in our end

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
+Martin - Best game i've seen from him in awhile
+Boychuk - that play 1 on 3 where he created a scoring chance on his own
+Malkin/Sid - Solid efforts
+Bortuzzo - love him getting in Ribeiro's face and had a solid game Perfect one timer pass to Engo on the Cooke goal
+Kunitz - for putting a punch of pucks in the net

-TK
-failure to clear pucks out of the zone on the PK. one turnover led to a Caps goal. Adams had a terrible one in the 3rd as well.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
+Ovechkin being a true Captain. What leadership he showed taking a dumb penalty to give Kunitz the HT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad