Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - The Single Hat

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
For everyone who is wondering what happened to the Caps? Why are they so bad all of a sudden? Well Pens fans, I'd say be careful what some of you wish for. Caps fans wanted Budreau gone, and the Caps haven't been the same since. However, Budreau has the Ducks killing it right now.

This is a good point. However, sometimes I think you are Dan Bylsma.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was one of the bigger Kunitz' critics the past 2 weeks. I saw little effort and extremely poor play. I suggested he be taken off the 1st PP or even benched for a game (after finding out he was sick). However, he picked it up this weekend so I will gladly eat crow.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
For everyone who is wondering what happened to the Caps? Why are they so bad all of a sudden? Well Pens fans, I'd say be careful what some of you wish for. Caps fans wanted Budreau gone, and the Caps haven't been the same since. However, Budreau has the Ducks killing it right now.

As much as I hated Boudreau, his dismissal was a classic case of the coach merely being the sacrificial lamb in order to compensate for upper management's negligence. During the last 2 seasons of his tenure they pressured him to change his formula and instill a more defensive mentality into the players, especially one by the name of Ovechkin. They did this without bringing in the right players that can actually thrive and make the most out of this new tactical direction as well. End result? The team somewhat lost its identity and their big money star player has fallen off the map. As a result Boudreau gets the axe and the team has only REGRESSED since then.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Other than on PP, Letang is playing absolutely excellent hockey for us the whole season. Defensively sound, it´s almost mistake-free hockey. We could be talking about Norris calibre player, if he would be better on PP. He´s still TOP 5 calibre for me, without any doubts and he has a legit shot for Norris nomination this year. His defense improved so much.

Am I the only one, who actually thinks this? I think Tanger deserves much more praise than he´s actually getting. He helps Despres/Niskanen a lot and they look like a very good players for us. Letang plays a big role for them. We have to sign him forever.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
But you guys are talking about a small 5-10% that screams every time we win or lose. Most of the discussion is actually even-tempered.

The irony is a few people calling out the people who called out Kunitz, are the people who wanted Martin gone because "he was a bad player who makes bad plays". I know who they are, but I won't call them out.

I find it a little funny, but if this board wasn't so bi-polar it wouldn't be any fun.

A few people said trade Kunitz he is old and broken. Others like myself saw he was hurting the team with bad turnovers, bad penalties and mental mistakes in his own zone. He needed to have his minutes reduced after the third game, because the mistakes still kept coming. He had a big hand in the loss at Toronto and should have had his minutes reduced for awhile after that game.

He didn't even play that well on Sat to be honest. Yesterday was the first game he really had his game together. The jury is still out in my opinion and I can't say one good game has my worries appeased.

Suggesting he is old and broken may be over the top, but calling him out for abysmal play most certainly was justified.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I definitely noticed this. It also comes down to angles of where he's passing from, pressure and more. Also this isn't normally his game to game position. Time needed there to get better.

These are the screams of people focusing on an individual for entire games.

Or the screams of people who believe that every year we don't win the cup is a year of Sid and Geno's careers "wasted".

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Other than on PP, Letang is playing absolutely excellent hockey for us the whole season. Defensively sound, it´s almost mistake-free hockey. We could be talking about Norris calibre player, if he would be better on PP. He´s still TOP 5 calibre for me, without any doubts and he has a legit shot for Norris nomination this year. His defense improved so much.

Am I the only one, who actually thinks this? I think Tanger deserves much more praise than he´s actually getting. He helps Despres/Niskanen a lot and they look like a very good players for us. Letang plays a big role for them. We have to sign him forever.

This is how over rating ones own players begins. Letang has been making plenty of mistakes, outside the PP. He hasn't played anywhere close to Norris caliber this season.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site

he was very good that last 2-3 games, but prior to that he was fairly mediocre/bad in his own zone.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know... I think we take some things Letang does for granted. I actually don't see him as an offensive minded d-man. I see him for an unreal defenseman who can quickly transition any play into offense. Big difference.

Also there are things with his speed that goes unnoticed. The other day he broke up a 3-on-1 and nobody said a thing. Any of our defenders would have backed away but Tangers out-rushed everyone. He was just faster. He's also physical and plays with passion.

I think he's a tremendous talent and we'd be in a huge hole w/o him.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
he was very good that last 2-3 games, but prior to that he was fairly mediocre/bad in his own zone.

I am not sure if you have seen that game in Philly. He was a defensive force there. His speed is obviously helping a lot. He´s physical and handles the opposition´s forecheck so well. He makes transition under pressure so well every time and that´s his biggest asset in my eyes. It happens in defensive zone. I honestly don´t remember much of his mistakes in defensive zone this year. I will admit he´s awful on PP, but give credit where it´s worth.

Letang used to be offensive D-man. I see him as a very balanced D-man right now. That big difference between his offense and defense is no more there.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011

Last evening on NHL Tonight, the panel spent a few minutes praising Letang, showing various clips of his play so far this season. Last Monday Darren Dreger was also giving high praise to Letang. Here is Pittsburgh, he is often overlooked by the media, and fans love to make sure every defensive breakdown is his fault alone when he is on the ice. Sometimes it's funny that you go on twitter or a forum and fans are complaining about how he missed his coverage on a certain play, etc. while Phil Borouque is the radio explaining something that same play in a totally different way.

Maybe he hasn't looked as sharp, but he is now having to keep an eye on Despres while covering his own end. Niskanen has improved greatly, but still wasn't a top pairing defenseman until this year when paired with Letang. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind Letang not having to pair with a top defenseman. The Martin/Orpik pairing is actually working, so Bylsma will never break them apart.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know... I think we take some things Letang does for granted. I actually don't see him as an offensive minded d-man. I see him for an unreal defenseman who can quickly transition any play into offense. Big difference.

Also there are things with his speed that goes unnoticed. The other day he broke up a 3-on-1 and nobody said a thing. Any of our defenders would have backed away but Tangers out-rushed everyone. He was just faster. He's also physical and plays with passion.

I think he's a tremendous talent and we'd be in a huge hole w/o him.

I agree overall. However, he is often flying back to cover for his own mistakes. I guess the advantage with a guy like Letang is that he can take bigger risks because of that speed. When he makes a poor pinch he has the speed to recover. I guess I don't praise him for those plays because he is just covering up a mistake.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I agree overall. However, he is often flying back to cover for his own mistakes. I guess the advantage with a guy like Letang is that he can take bigger risks because of that speed. When he makes a poor pinch he has the speed to recover. I guess I don't praise him for those plays because he is just covering up a mistake.

True... but think about his speed in general. He makes NHL speed look average. I am just blown away by how fast he can skate. Actually.. it might not even be speed, it might be endurance. After a minute shift, he still is at 100%. He never looks tired. If anything, his mind goes before his legs do.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
True... but think about his speed in general. He makes NHL speed look average. I am just blown away by how fast he can skate. Actually.. it might not even be speed, it might be endurance. After a minute shift, he still is at 100%. He never looks tired. If anything, his mind goes before his legs do.

Oh absolutely. He is a freak of nature physically. I think we forget that he is still in his maturation process as a dman. He is only going to get better. I have my doubts about him ever being a PP QB, but if he can consistently produce 50+ points while playing 25min a night of solid, physical defensive hockey, I will be beyond satisfied.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was that the least dominating 4 goal game ever? :laugh: It's not like Koon was out there killing it. He just supported the stars well and was in the right spot.

That takes NOTHING away from Chris.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Kunitz hattrick!
+ Sid 0+3
+ pp 2/2
+ Sutter
+ Cooke 1+1
+ Tanger 1+1

- Neal

Great win!

LET'S GO PENS!

Fire Shero*

The irony is a few people calling out the people who called out Kunitz, are the people who wanted Martin gone because "he was a bad player who makes bad plays". I know who they are, but I won't call them out.

I find it a little funny, but if this board wasn't so bi-polar it wouldn't be any fun.

A few people said trade Kunitz he is old and broken. Others like myself saw he was hurting the team with bad turnovers, bad penalties and mental mistakes in his own zone. He needed to have his minutes reduced after the third game, because the mistakes still kept coming. He had a big hand in the loss at Toronto and should have had his minutes reduced for awhile after that game.

He didn't even play that well on Sat to be honest. Yesterday was the first game he really had his game together. The jury is still out in my opinion and I can't say one good game has my worries appeased.

Suggesting he is old and broken may be over the top, but calling him out for abysmal play most certainly was justified.

Agreed. One good game against a team playing horribly and a goalie who struggled to say the least. Lets see him play well for a couple of more games.

I am a bit concerned that he will start to fall apart and decline as he will turn 34 before next season. That's getting old for a power forward

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Was that the least dominating 4 goal game ever? :laugh: It's not like Koon was out there killing it. He just supported the stars well and was in the right spot.

I was thinking the same thing. He played very well, but sometimes things just go in for you. I hope that is a sign of things to come for him.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Yeah I think the best way to judge Kunitz offensive game is how he's supporting pucks. He usually does a good job away from the puck and is an under rated passer but you can tell when he's going to have a good game because the extra effort is there to get open.

As far as trading him, he's in a tough position. He's the perfect #3 fiddle on a line but lacks something as a #w. It would be great to keep him and move Dupes to the 3rd line but it really depends on the trade because Duper can fill that #3 fiddle on a line with Sid too.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Kunitz given a 4th goal in WSH game

To likely no one's surprise, Kunitz was awarded a 4th goal from the Capitals game. The NHL determined the puck deflected off his stick from the Martin shot on the first goal. Kunitz is the first Penguin since Jagr to have a four goal game - all the way back in October of 2000 against the Rangers.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The only thing that bothers me about Kunitz is that he doesn't torpedo players on the forecheck anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad