Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - Oates is hilarious

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I love Bortuzzo as well but I am far more impressed with Despres. Despres to me is going to be a great top pairing guy. He looks steady and is making some great plays. Just what a cup team needs. With Bortuzzo and Despres on our team I think it makes trading Martin and Orpik much easier after this season.

I should have said stay at home dman or something. I'll agree that Despres has a much higher ceiling but he is going to be more bi-polar than Bortuzzo, simply because his "style" takes more skill and confidence.

I'm loving the prospects play so far.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I love what I've seen or of boychuk. These chances will start going in. He's playing well in space and creating. He is seeing the ice and making crisp passes and creating chances for others. Trust me his game is good, the points will start coming. Also he is still adjusting to a new system so he might be thinking a little out there.

As for an acquisition, I think we need to make one. But I want it to be a young guy with contract control for the top 6. I think we just need 1. And I'd slide dupuis off of crosbys line and move him onto the third line.

We should focus on any young winger with control, even if he is not on the market. Overpay fit him some. We are essentially in Dallas position when they had a need and over paid top get gogo. We just need to scout better than they did

I'm a little more worried about the ES points coming for Malkin and Neal myself, but to each his own.

Couldn't agree any more with you. We have what 5 wins in a row since getting this player and people are complaining!

Yes, Boychuk has been the difference maker. That's for sure.

EDIT: Can't believe some people actually believe that ****. People who believe in the tooth fairy are more credible.

I'm not picking on you but....

Boychuck is a waste of a roster space, he WOULD have points if he wasn't absolutely, totaly gutless. That line has had three noticable three and two rushes the last couple games. Watch what Boychuck does; he curls up and does this cute little twirl-he REFUSES to go to the net.

He can skate. Big deal. Boychuck has a fatal flaw in that he isn't willing to go into the dirty areas in an NHL rink.

By far he is the most frustrating Penguin, especially now with people anointing him as the second line savior around town.

Watch the game on replay and watch Boychuck each shift. The guy isn't gonna hack it because he doesn't want it. He needs to "center drive" on those three on twos. Get knocked on his ass and make a play.

Clearly you forgot to drink the kool-aid before posting :)

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Out of sight, out of mind...

You know, it looks like STL is starting to get exposed defensively.:crossfing

Some people either don't watch the games or just love to stir crap up, Niskanen has been our best D before his injury, wow 4 games and everything is forgotten. Glad some people are not the GM of this team!

Actually, Niskanen went out early in the Ottawa game. So, it's almost 7 games.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I love Bortuzzo as well but I am far more impressed with Despres. Despres to me is going to be a great top pairing guy. He looks steady and is making some great plays. Just what a cup team needs. With Bortuzzo and Despres on our team I think it makes trading Martin and Orpik much easier after this season.

Epic defensive depth is epic. And to think we still got Morrow and Harrington to look forward to!

SteelFish87*

I agree 100% with this. Despres is a beast and could be a top-pairing guy for us for years. I love the physical shutdown nature of the Engelland-Bortuzzo pairing reminiscent of Gill-Scuderi in our Cup run.

Niskanen is our trade piece this year for a winger

SteelFish87*

Everyone agrees Niskanen is a sexy trade piece? I really don't think he is. A legit trade piece sure, but he's not going to be the centerpiece. No one is going to open the store upon simply hearing Niskanen is available.

roster player + prospect + draft pick

what other roster player would you trade?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Everyone agrees Niskanen is a sexy trade piece? I really don't think he is. A legit trade piece sure, but he's not going to be the centerpiece. No one is going to open the store upon simply hearing Niskanen is available.

No one is going to open up the store, sure. BUT, he's back on the progression that people envisioned for him after his rookie year. He's only 26, still has untapped offensive upside, has first round pedigree, is on a reasonable contract, and has shown that he can more than handle top four minutes on a playoff caliber team.

There are a couple of top playoff teams in the west that would see him legitimately as a 4/5 at worst on their defense. Guys like that have value. Not top winger value. But, if you're STL-- and you're seeing Cole getting exposed and Redden returning to his true form and you've got Chris Stewart playing on a third line, would you be interested in TK (to fill that role) and Niskanen (maybe with a 2nd in this deep draft to sweeten the deal), especially as you'd probably be looking to move Stewart in the summer with more important RFA's to sign?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I think Niskanen opens the store, but he doesn't unlock the display case.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
We are tied for second in goals scored right now league wide, I really don't see a need to trade away solid defensive players for a winger. I get that Crosby *should* have better wingers to play with than Kunitz and Dupuis but having Nisky and depth on the defensive end is a better option come playoff time IMO. We are clicking and scoring plenty of goals right now, I wouldn't be upset if we waited and made decisions on personnel until after we see how this team plays in the playoffs. If we get embarrassed again then obviously its time for some changes, but right now I am happy with the roster as is.

As much as everyone likes to ***** about Boychuck I think he has looked the most comfortable playing alongside Malkin and Neal. I don't think he is a long term solution, but the chances have been there since he was claimed and sooner or later they will start converting.

We need the best defense possible on the ice come playoff time, and I don't think trading an asset for a winger is a smart solution at this point in time. Obviously if RS can turn on god mode again and get a similar Neal for gogo deal, then yes, do it, but if nothing of that nature is on the table keep the roster the way it is.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Exactly. Having a piece like him to pair with a D prospect, 1st or roster forward gets us a longterm answer for our top 6.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Oh HotTea, you and your metaphors . . . :laugh:

TK, Nisky, and something (maybe a 2nd, maybe slightly more) could unlock the Chris Stewart display case.

I'm with mpp9 . . . Nisky definitely helps that team's defense on a cap friendly deal. As I said, Redden is playing like Redden. Cole is getting exposed. Russell has his limitations. They need help, and Chris Stewart is their third line center. He's got 2 goals in the 9 games since his first, they've got several higher priority RFA's after this season, and they've got a number of young players to fill the void after this season (when TK would be a UFA).

Exactly. Having a piece like him to pair with a D prospect, 1st or roster forward gets us a longterm answer for our top 6.

Eyes on your own paper, Mini Me. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Why not just smash the display case and make a run for it?

After the Gologoski trade, I think the guards of the 29 display cases are on the lookout for Shero trying to pull that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If I'm Shero, I'd rather land longterm assets to our organization. Assets that can help us win a Cup now and 5 years from now.

I'd love to land Iggy, but if it costs one of Despres/Morrow/Bennett/Pouliot and a 1st, while I could use Niskanen+a lesser D prospect and an expendable roster forward to land Stewart, I take the latter IMO.

I wouldn't blame Shero not willing to part with Despres, Morrow, Bennett or Pouliot. I think we can get what we need without using them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If I'm Shero, I'd rather land longterm assets to our organization. Assets that can help us win a Cup now and 5 years from now.

I'd love to land Iggy, but if it costs one of Despres/Morrow/Bennett/Pouliot and a 1st, while I could use Niskanen+a lesser D prospect and an expendable roster forward to land Stewart, I take the latter IMO.

I wouldn't blame Shero not willing to part with Despres, Morrow, Bennett or Pouliot. I think we can get what we need without using them.

You could if you were targeting Stewart and Kulemin. :teach:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
We are tied for second in goals scored right now league wide, I really don't see a need to trade away solid defensive players for a winger. I get that Crosby *should* have better wingers to play with than Kunitz and Dupuis but having Nisky and depth on the defensive end is a better option come playoff time IMO. We are clicking and scoring plenty of goals right now, I wouldn't be upset if we waited and made decisions on personnel until after we see how this team plays in the playoffs. If we get embarrassed again then obviously its time for some changes, but right now I am happy with the roster as is.

As much as everyone likes to ***** about Boychuck I think he has looked the most comfortable playing alongside Malkin and Neal. I don't think he is a long term solution, but the chances have been there since he was claimed and sooner or later they will start converting.

We need the best defense possible on the ice come playoff time, and I don't think trading an asset for a winger is a smart solution at this point in time. Obviously if RS can turn on god mode again and get a similar Neal for gogo deal, then yes, do it, but if nothing of that nature is on the table keep the roster the way it is.

The reason is because in the playoffs it's a whole different ball game. You're playing a legit team every night and their entire game plan for a two week stretch is stopping your team and their best players. You need a full compliment of NHLers good enough to play in their respective positions. Makes each line "fully operational" and minimizes certain lines getting suffocated because the other team is focusing on that line's best player(s). You're not winning a Cup with zero production from a top 6 forward, period. You need someone at all 6 top forward positions that teams have to at least watch and know they're out there.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I'm still not seeing why St. Louis needs to trade him this year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
this teams window to win a cup is right now. anything could happen five years from now. no guarantees malkin is still here, no guarantees letang is still here.

Exactly, those windows open up only so many times where they can make a serious run compared to having injuries, cap issues keeping them from loading up. With some depth at forward and defense this team would be a lock to be the favorites. Right now there are a few teams with better depth.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The reason is because in the playoffs it's a whole different ball game. You're playing a legit team every night and their entire game plan for a two week stretch is stopping your team and their best players. You need a full compliment of NHLers good enough to play in their respective positions. Makes each line "fully operational" and minimizes certain lines getting suffocated because the other team is focusing on that line's best player(s). You're not winning a Cup with zero production from a top 6 forward, period. You need someone at all 6 top forward positions that teams have to at least watch and know they're out there.

You lost me with the first polysyllabic word. :help:

Exactly, those windows open up only so many times where they can make a serious run compared to having injuries, cap issues keeping them from loading up. With some depth at forward and defense this team would be a lock to be the favorites. Right now there are a few teams with better depth.

Fortunately, Shero has the assets to address that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As of this afternoon, Paul Martin is ranked 15th in league in average icetime per game.

I'm also told that the first penalty call against him this year will be 'two minutes for impersonating an impact 5M per year defenseman'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad