Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - Oates is hilarious

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Oates was the master of panic in this one. :laugh:

Fleury was outstanding.

The team execution was very good on the PP's and the faceoff play that Cookie scored on.

Martin got off to a rough start when he didn't shoot that puck Sid passed to him on the PP but that was pretty much his only big mistake of the night. He played over 28 minutes and his gap control in particular was amazing imo.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I love what I've seen or of boychuk. These chances will start going in. He's playing well in space and creating. He is seeing the ice and making crisp passes and creating chances for others. Trust me his game is good, the points will start coming. Also he is still adjusting to a new system so he might be thinking a little out there.

As for an acquisition, I think we need to make one. But I want it to be a young guy with contract control for the top 6. I think we just need 1. And I'd slide dupuis off of crosbys line and move him onto the third line.

We should focus on any young winger with control, even if he is not on the market. Overpay fit him some. We are essentially in Dallas position when they had a need and over paid top get gogo. We just need to scout better than they did

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The other plus for having Despres, Bortuzzo with Niskanen on the way back is they can be added in packages for a winger.

Of the 3 Bort and Niskanen would hopefully be in the deal but i could see alot of teams wanting Despres.

That is a good point.

HF gets overly impressed with prospects. But prospects have little value until they show it in the NHL. The trade value of these guys just increased exponentially.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
As good as nisky has been over last year and to start the season..... i don't want him back in the line up over any of these defensemen. This defense is FINALLY TOUGH to play against. I'm not taking anything away from Nisky but it's just not something he brings.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The other plus for having Despres, Bortuzzo with Niskanen on the way back is they can be added in packages for a winger.

Of the 3 Bort and Niskanen would hopefully be in the deal but i could see alot of teams wanting Despres.

I would literally barf if this team traded Bortuzzo. He is so exactly what we need, and so unique amongst our players, he might just be the last of those 3 guys that I would trade, and I would trade Nisky 10/10 times before I traded Bortuzzo.

And given the way he has played, and the comments Bylsma made tonight (which Mr. Burgundy posted earlier with the Bortuzzo/Starkey interview), I think this team gets the fact that Bortuzzo should be going nowhere. (unless it's going out with a real estate agent to look for an apartment or house in Pittsburgh).

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
+ the Pens tactic to engage Ovi & be physical with him. From Bort to 44 to Glass, it was good to see, even if it made Ovi feel more invested in e game ... Since toughness has been a concern this season, I was happy to see several guys getting all sandpapery with a guy who has taken liberties against us before and because of his star status never really got his come-uppance.

On TV, did they show after Ovi's 3rd-period breakaway that Fleury shut down? As he skated back to the Caps end, he turned around to look at Fleury ... I'd love to know what Fleury said to him at that point. Given how foul-mouthed he was during the shoot out practice on 24/7, I like to think MF was MFing him up and down.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I would literally barf if this team traded Bortuzzo. He is so exactly what we need, and so unique amongst our players, he might just be the last of those 3 guys that I would trade, and I would trade Nisky 10/10 times before I traded Bortuzzo.

And given the way he has played, and the comments Bylsma made tonight (which Mr. Burgundy posted earlier with the Bortuzzo/Starkey interview), I think this team gets the fact that Bortuzzo should be going nowhere. (unless it's going out with a real estate agent to look for an apartment or house in Pittsburgh).

Fine, they can take Harrington instead :sarcasm:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Yikes, the Caps are bad.

Pens fans are lucky to be watching 87 and 71 coming into the peaks of their careers. They're just so much better than everyone else.

I know Ovie is an ***hole, but the guy's a force when he so chooses. And this year he seems to be by himself. They actually miss Semin on the ice and Backstrom doesn't look to be nearly all the way back from his concussion.

I thought Bortuzzo looked shaky with the puck deep in the Pens' end (not surprising at this early stage), but otherwise looked good. Despres is really coming along. It will be interesting to see how these guys do against TB, Boston, and even the Flyers if they get their act together.

Boychuck . . . well it's early, but he hasn't overcome the presumption that he's a career AHLer.

- for the third period. It looked like the third period against the Rangers when they were up 5-1 and took their foot off the gas, and then played like that for the next several games.

Last edited:

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
One of my +'s for the game is just the way the team was smiling on the bench

Their confidence level is at a very high level, they are playing loose, having a good time doing it as well. This will serve the Penguins well moving forward.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Had to enjoy that one.. Caps were 8-0-2 at the console before last night. At the rate they are going, the March 19 game could be the one that mathematically eliminates the caps from contention. What would be more fun? Every year when the Caps are eliminated i whip up a few white russians and celebrate. Sounds like its going to happen a bit early this year.

+ the Powerplay. -Letang and + Martin, this group looked so much better. The umbrella formation fits the Penguins talent, and Martin seems able to run it. Crosby looked really good with puck movement. I am impressed with the turnaround they have made. Using the left side of the ice too... very nice. Credit goes to the Caps for sucking too. That always helps

+ Sutter, getting better every game. +Crosby looks like hes back to form. Just dominating.

- Boychuk, i really wanted him to succeed. But when he blew that beautiful set up by Malkin in the third, i think the writing appeared on the wall. He isn't the answer.

- 1st and 3rd periods. If you rate this game by period, then the Pens lose 1-2. Not a complete effort by any means, just a really poor opponent.

- Ovechkin. People use the word "heart" here inappropriately. Ovechkin played like a punk. He benefited from the referee pity party in the third. He embellished the call on Orpik, then slewfooted Borts (and got Borts called), all the while boarding and charging with impunity. I don't call it being physical or dominate, i just call it being reckless and childish. In a tight game he spends most of the third in the penalty box sulking.

- Riberio's magic invisible lasso. Honestly WTF happened on that first goal?

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
+ the Pens tactic to engage Ovi & be physical with him. From Bort to 44 to Glass, it was good to see, even if it made Ovi feel more invested in e game ... Since toughness has been a concern this season, I was happy to see several guys getting all sandpapery with a guy who has taken liberties against us before and because of his star status never really got his come-uppance.

On TV, did they show after Ovi's 3rd-period breakaway that Fleury shut down? As he skated back to the Caps end, he turned around to look at Fleury ... I'd love to know what Fleury said to him at that point. Given how foul-mouthed he was during the shoot out practice on 24/7, I like to think MF was MFing him up and down.

They showed a replay when the the score was like 5-1 of AO with the puck on his stick, and he skated to MAF, showed it to him, then said something.

I thought it was kind of odd... Maybe he was just being a clown, but given how pissed off he looked during and after the game, I dunno.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
As good as nisky has been over last year and to start the season..... i don't want him back in the line up over any of these defensemen. This defense is FINALLY TOUGH to play against. I'm not taking anything away from Nisky but it's just not something he brings.

Niskanen is steadier than all of them and better than all of them except maybe Despres. Also, you seriously didn't include Dylan Reese in that did you?

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Gotta give + to Ovechkin. Yes he is a punk , but that punk plays like a bullterrier.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Niskanen is steadier than all of them and better than all of them except maybe Despres. Also, you seriously didn't include Dylan Reese in that did you?

Some people either don't watch the games or just love to stir crap up, Niskanen has been our best D before his injury, wow 4 games and everything is forgotten. Glad some people are not the GM of this team!

GlenngarryGlencross

Get the chalk!
May 26, 2008
Great game all around, wish they could all be like that.

+Bortuzzo, love his game right now. As much as I like Engelland, I think DB should keep Despres-Letang together and try Niskanen-Bortuzzo.
+Bortuzzo-Dumoulin could be a legit shut down pair with size, range, nastiness, and just enough puck smarts. Really looking forward to Dumoulin getting his chance.
+Reese, solid first game for the Big Pens.
-N. Backstrom. For as much heat as Ovi takes, Backstrom deserves just as much if not more. He looks lost at times and nowhere close to his 100 point season. Hard to imagine how long those 2 are under contract for the Caps, yikes.

Medic412

Jan 22, 2013
Uh...?

This is peoples problem. They quickly throw players under the bus without actually watching the game. Boychuk has been everything we've hoped for. He isn't on the scoresheet, but unlike Tangradi, he is opening space, creating scoring chances and playing good defensively.

Anyone throwing Boychuk under the bus are probably the same people that threw Neal under the bus when he wasn't converting on his chances after the acquisition.

It's a reoccurring problem with a lot of new Pens fans. We have 20 goal scoring wingers, they may not be elite, but they produce....but oh.my.god. we need more. Seriously, get it out of your heads. This is the salary cap era and we have a large amount of elite players. No, wait, we have the best 2 players in the world and you want to get another top player for ****? GTFO.

The fact is this team is fine, short term and long term. It's funny seeing some of the flip-floppers on this board though.

Couldn't agree any more with you. We have what 5 wins in a row since getting this player and people are complaining!

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I love what I've seen or of boychuk. These chances will start going in. He's playing well in space and creating. He is seeing the ice and making crisp passes and creating chances for others. Trust me his game is good, the points will start coming. Also he is still adjusting to a new system so he might be thinking a little out there.

As for an acquisition, I think we need to make one. But I want it to be a young guy with contract control for the top 6. I think we just need 1. And I'd slide dupuis off of crosbys line and move him onto the third line.

We should focus on any young winger with control, even if he is not on the market. Overpay fit him some. We are essentially in Dallas position when they had a need and over paid top get gogo. We just need to scout better than they did

I'm not picking on you but....

Boychuck is a waste of a roster space, he WOULD have points if he wasn't absolutely, totaly gutless. That line has had three noticable three and two rushes the last couple games. Watch what Boychuck does; he curls up and does this cute little twirl-he REFUSES to go to the net.

He can skate. Big deal. Boychuck has a fatal flaw in that he isn't willing to go into the dirty areas in an NHL rink.

By far he is the most frustrating Penguin, especially now with people anointing him as the second line savior around town.

Watch the game on replay and watch Boychuck each shift. The guy isn't gonna hack it because he doesn't want it. He needs to "center drive" on those three on twos. Get knocked on his ass and make a play.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Oh ya, Bortuzzo has got the "moxy." By far the most impressive Pens defensive prospect to come along in long time-probably since Orpik.

He chirps guys after each play, stood toe to toe with Ovechkin and plays physical.

This kids a keeper.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
tumblr_mhw7phiyNu1rvygdxo1_500.gif

tumblr_mhvx6d7mdS1rat3buo1_500.gif

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Oh ya, Bortuzzo has got the "moxy." By far the most impressive Pens defensive prospect to come along in long time-probably since Orpik.

He chirps guys after each play, stood toe to toe with Ovechkin and plays physical.

This kids a keeper.

I love Bortuzzo as well but I am far more impressed with Despres. Despres to me is going to be a great top pairing guy. He looks steady and is making some great plays. Just what a cup team needs. With Bortuzzo and Despres on our team I think it makes trading Martin and Orpik much easier after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad