Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - Oates is hilarious

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Defense: Even with the offensive outburst in the 2nd period, I still have to give so much credit to the defense. I want to focus on 3 main players: Martin, Bort, Engo. Paul Martin is a completely different player right now. He's playing with a bit of passion and using his skills wisely. I still worry that he doesn't have another playoff level, but he's just on fire so far. This is the guy that was advertised to us. And to live up to words he said in the offseason, just so cool. He's tremendous. In every part of his game.

Bort/Engo are exactly what this team missed since losing Scuds/Gill. They have tenacity, hunger, and play mean. I love Bort's strength. He just is mean out there. He's also getting more and more patient and is playing an NHL game. These two are changing the way we play in the defensive zone. They have that urgency every shift we need.

Only thing I wish we did was played more man defense. We have the players to do it. We'd be even better with it.

+ Smelling blood: This was the first time the Pens saw a hurt team and just took advantage in every single way without stopping. That scond period could have just been 3-1, but they didn't stop. They wanted more. They fed off the crowd. They just wanted to get every bit of glory out of that period. That is something I have not seen in a long time.

+ Crosby/Malkin: Stars played like stars. I don't really know what to say that hasn't been said about these two. I just love watching them play. They were in some type of zone tonight.

+ Oates: He's worse than anything Bruce ever did. Who changes a goalie after 2-1? That was horrible and look what happened. If Bylsma did that, I'd be going insane. What an idiot. He's a terrible coach and that's a huge plus.

+ Tyler Kennedy: I thought this was TK's best game yet. He was everywhere. Forechecked/backchecked really hard. He's really coming into his own. You guys can say he chest snipes, but he's a great third liner. Good defensive responsibility. He adds tenacity.

+ Fourth Line: Continuing their dominance with limited minutes. They were the line that started punishing the Caps defense.

+ 5 in a row baby! :yo:

Lemieuxfan

Oct 12, 2006
Cologne
big plus for MAF, he looked good. 2 GA on 25 shots, I would take that any game.

Edit: Oates thought that Neuvirth had no confidece, because he played really deep in the net. I think that Oates wanted to anticipate the 3rd GA and thought that Holtby could save that - good that it didn't work.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
tumblr_lxvwt8dWRK1r9qd2co1_r1_500.gif

fate

Apr 15, 2007
Pretty much agree on all positives Cole, my only downs:

- Fleury playing for Oscar instead of playing D
- Letang injury, hopefully not long term

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Props to Fleury. He saw nothing for shots in the 2nd, but came up with some save in the 3rd when it could have been a game again.

Otherwise agree with Cole.

Highrise

Dec 5, 2010
Plus
+ Oates: He's worse than anything Bruce ever did. Who changes a goalie after 2-1? That was horrible and look what happened. If Bylsma did that, I'd be going insane. What an idiot. He's a terrible coach and that's a huge plus.

That was a big headscratcher. If I were Neuvirth, I'd be pissed right now.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Plus

That was totally baffling. Especially given Neuvirth's strong track record against the Pens and the performance Holtby put in on Sunday.

Lemieuxfan

Oct 12, 2006
Cologne

Not really - IMO that showed Oates that Neuvirth is better right now, I mean Holtby looked brutal in both games. You can not wish for more if you want to get chances to play.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013

I think it was more of a wake up call to the team more than anything else.

But Oates should of pulled the goalie for the last 2 minutes, what could they lose at that point, the caps where able to control the puck while on the PP pretty well.

boileroo

Mar 6, 2010
Anyone else really like what sutter and dupuis brought when they found them selves out together? Could be imagining it but I swear they generates a few good looks tonight

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
+Sid. He is playing unreal hockey right now.

+PP. 3 goals I believe. This is how it should look every night, with the top end talent we possess.

+Geno. At last, he made a sighting.

+Neal. Firing at will, pretty goal.

-PK. SO passive it angers me. Maybe it was because of the situation, but they just sat back way too much.

-Ovy. You can just tell he goes the extra mile against the Pens do be a complete dbag.

-Oates. Seriously though, who pulls their goalie when its 2-1??

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone else really like what sutter and dupuis brought when they found them selves out together? Could be imagining it but I swear they generates a few good looks tonight

Seems to validate those who have suggested that Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis would be the ideal playoff checking line.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Said it once, I'll say it again... Sutter is everything people hoped Staal would be. And he's about 2x as fast as Staal. That mini-breakaway he got...he was freaking flying out there.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
+Sid and Geno. Pair of 3 pointers, sick shot by Geno, awesome hand-eye by Sid.
+Neal. PP all star
+Matt "Real Deal" Cooke
+TK
+Fleury. Shaky 1st but great 3rd.

=Boychuk. Hustle is still there but he should've had a few today... probably oughta show up on the scorecard one of these games...

-3rd period play.

Props to Bort for laying some nice hits. He is so goofy though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to give props to Fleury, but I'm also not blown away by tonight. He did what he had to. I'm happy with his performance, but the defense made it what it was.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Additional pluses!

+Florida taking out Philly in the shootout. Huberdeau with a beauty and Theodore denies Giroux to end it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
+ Our powerplay. They were all making quick decisions with the puck, especially Sid with those ridiculous one touch cross-ice passes.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I know our PP looked great, but really Washington's PK was atrocious. Let's not go crazy after one game.

Five in a row!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ Our powerplay. They were all making quick decisions with the puck, especially Sid with those ridiculous one touch cross-ice passes.

It's tough to tell, because the Capitals were a collection of skating cluster*****, but I thought Martin lent a level of patience and stability at the point that Letang hasn't.

Kudos by the way to Geno for sucking one up for the team-- again-- and playing of position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad