Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Bs - Eastern Conference #1 Seed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
"Nominating Cooke for the Masterton is about the equivalent of nominating Sirhan Sirhan for prisoner of the year," Edwards said. "An outrageous lack of judgment on the part of the Pittsburgh press."

Sirhan murdered presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy in 1968.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero was visibly enraged when he learned of Edwards' comments and confronted him in the first intermission.

Shero declined to comment on what Edwards had said, but shortly after their conversation, Edwards posted the following on Twitter:

"I am sorry for insulting Matt Cooke, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the National Hockey League, and anyone else upset by my Cooke comments. I made a mistake. My fault all the way. This is my apology. Bad week, bad emotional reaction by me."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...in-will-return-to-lineup-soon-684347/?print=1

Edwards apologized after Penguins general manager Ray Shero spoke with him and Bruins president Cam Neely during the first intermission. Cooke was not available for comment.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3846590-74/penguins-boston-cooke#ixzz2R6hK6SgJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Wouldn't underestimate what a move like that by Shero means to the players.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Completely unnecessary unless we're in a win or golf situation and we're behind. PK opens players up to injury in a big way. None of the big guns should be PK unless our backs are to the wall. We could use Sutter or Kunitz out there if we wanted to add more of a scoring threat.

I disagree, but I do understand your concerns. I view it similarly to putting starters on special teams units in the playoffs in football. Increased risk of injury on specialty plays, but it can make the difference. Sid and Geno's presence would alter the way teams attacked the Penguins PK, and they wouldn't have any time to prepare for it.

Marns

Jul 31, 2006
Toronto, ON
www.thestretchpass.com

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I disagree, but I do understand your concerns. I view it similarly to putting starters on special teams units in the playoffs in football. Increased risk of injury on specialty plays, but it can make the difference. Sid and Geno's presence would alter the way teams attacked the Penguins PK, and they wouldn't have any time to prepare for it.

I want it to be a pretty rare thing. A couple of shifts a game. Particularly if we take back to back penalties or something, to keep them in the game.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...in-will-return-to-lineup-soon-684347/?print=1

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3846590-74/penguins-boston-cooke#ixzz2R6hK6SgJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Wouldn't underestimate what a move like that by Shero means to the players.

Thats awesome, Shero earned a lot of respect with me with that move. There was a portion of that insult though that was directly aimed at the penguins organization as a whole, not just matt cooke. I believe Jack said something along the lines of "shame on the penguins organization" or something like that which would be insulting Ray Shero directly, especially if it was his idea to nominate Cooke for the Masterton.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Thats awesome, Shero earned a lot of respect with me with that move. There was a portion of that insult though that was directly aimed at the penguins organization as a whole, not just matt cooke. I believe Jack said something along the lines of "shame on the penguins organization" or something like that which would be insulting Ray Shero directly, especially if it was his idea to nominate Cooke for the Masterton.
As much as we complain about moves, drafting, systems and everything else... We are really lucky to have Shero and Disco handling our favorite team. I like the way they handle themselves and the team even if I don't agree with everything they do. Its the nature of the beast I guess. Blackhawks and Red Wing fans complain about their coaches too.

IMO, from start to finish of a season, this has been Disco's strongest year. We've seen him make adjustments and I think he's tinkered with the system to fit in the new guys as much as the new guys found their way.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I respect Shero for doing that (and I'm sure the players feel good about it), but it was more about visibly sticking up for a scape-goat type player than anything else IMO. I'm a little surprised anyone from the Pens organization said anything / didn't just dismiss it out of hand with a typical "we don't pay attention to other teams' announcers; there's a reason why they're up in the booth and not working behind the bench or in a front office" type deal.

Edwards can be seriously annoying at times but the other 75 games a year he's better at what he does than Steigerwald, that's for damn sure.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was going to say something about Shero channeling his dad when he was getting in Edwards' face, and I just happened look at Fred's wikipedia page on a whim.

Apparently, Eddie Johnston introduced Ray Shero's parents to each other. There's your random useless fact of the day.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Even Bruins fans were disgusted with what Edwards said.

i was in the camp that they should be more disgusted than any Pens fans because Edwards trivialized the assassination of a beloved Bostonian in order to make a petty point about hockey players.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm a little put off that Edwards blamed the past week for what he said, to be honest.

DickgeiTarnchar

Mar 7, 2006
I cannot really see the pairings, and if Bylsma plans to have Martin back with Orpik, I cannot understand why Letang isn't playing with his would be partner now to build chemistry. It doesn't just happen on the blueline.

I think the pairings are set. Orpik/Martin, Eaton/Letang, Murray/Niskanen. Figure Eaton and Letang are already pretty comfortable with each other from earlier this year and 2008-10.

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/3802442-74/eaton-penguins-lineup#axzz2R8AZJ3je

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
i was in the camp that they should be more disgusted than any Pens fans because Edwards trivialized the assassination of a beloved Bostonian in order to make a petty point about hockey players.

I figured it was more likely Boston fans calling in for that reason (before i knew Shero had been involved) than Penguin fans.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Oh Edwards you little tool, do everyone a favor and get your adenoids removed so at least you don't sound like a complete little ***** when you make your comments. Sounds like Shatner is doing the play by play. "And he... shoots... and.. he. scores.. goal.. by.. Iginla.." And people think Steiggy is a homer.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Oh Edwards you little tool, do everyone a favor and get your adenoids removed so at least you don't sound like a complete little ***** when you make your comments. Sounds like Shatner is doing the play by play. "And he... shoots... and.. he. scores.. goal.. by.. Iginla.." And people think Steiggy is a homer.

I'll say this about Edwards: he does an exciting / loud call when the other team scores a great goal too, and he's not afraid (nor is the Boston color guy) of talking up the other team when they're doing something well / playing well lately. But he is pretty annoying sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad