Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.

Luckily sheo is alot smarter then any of us on this board. If this board was in charge of the pens we would of traded or bought out martin already. Traded Despres to the wild for their 4th line winger. Traded pretty much anybody on our team for torontos 3rd line winger with 7 goals last year. Fired DB after the NYI game.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yah I think that's right... Chico. WTF that guy is loony.

I think Larsson actually did have a pretty good game the couple plays I saw him make. But when some people get called for playing hockey normally (within what we thought were the rules), and others don't it makes all the commentary look bad.

They noted a few times how the calls being made were borderline / the league is calling everything so... FWIW... just making note they weren't that bad / didn't make me miss Steigy and Errey and Potash. Not until the end, anyway.

"Dude you're sittin' too close to Potash!"

One good thing about listening to the other team's broadcast is that if you're feeling masochistic, you can wade into the mainboard and see who actually forms their own opinions on games and who just parrots what their announcers tell them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Luckily sheo is alot smarter then any of us on this board. If this board was in charge of the pens we would of traded or bought out martin already. Traded Despres to the wild for their 4th line winger. Traded pretty much anybody on our team for torontos 3rd line winger with 7 goals last year. Fired DB after the NYI game.

Don't forget 'done something after another early playoff exit'.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Pens have three playoff caliber wingers for the top six right now?

This isnt the 90s. As much as I'd love for us to add Perry, Iginla, and kulemin for the perfect lineup heading into playoffs, I dont see it as realistic. Sucks for us we have the two best centers in the world preventing us from adding a couple more 7mil players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not going to worry too much about this game. Some of the things I've been worrying about creeped back up again, especially lack of discipline. Some calls were a joke, others legit.

I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss. The Devils are so positionally sound, that the Pens had trouble getting anything going. This is what it is going to be like come playoff time and the further you get, the tighter the checking will be.

Basically, I'm just waiting to see how Shero shapes this roster and how DB coaches in the playoffs.

Until then I'm not going to get bent out of shape/excited about bad losses (**** happens) or winning streaks. The only thing that will get me off the hinge is a long losing streak because that simply can't happen in a shortened season.

For this game I'm taking a positive out of it, that Bort and Despres are holding their own and not doing anything stupid. Someone said Bort had a lot of turnovers this game, which I couldn't disagree with anymore. I didn't see any big mistakes or bad turnovers from either rookie this game.

Watching MB try and dance with the puck and fall on his ass was hilarious and I was cracking up. Seeing him laugh about it was funny as hell.

It's just a game, gotta enjoy it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This isnt the 90s. As much as I'd love for us to add Perry, Iginla, and kulemin for the perfect lineup heading into playoffs, I dont see it as realistic. Sucks for us we have the two best centers in the world preventing us from adding a couple more 7mil players.

I didn't realize that Kulemin made 7M per year. Thank you for clarifying.

I'm not going to worry too much about this game. Some of the things I've been worrying about creeped back up again, especially lack of discipline. Some calls were a joke, others legit.

I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss. The Devils are so positionally sound, that the Pens had trouble getting anything going. This is what it is going to be like come playoff time and the further you get, the tighter the checking will be.

Basically, I'm just waiting to see how Shero shapes this roster and how DB coaches in the playoffs.

Until then I'm not going to get bent out of shape/excited about bad losses (**** happens) or winning streaks. The only thing that will get me off the hinge is a long losing streak because that simply can't happen in a shortened season.

For this game I'm taking a positive out of it, that Bort and Despres are holding their own and not doing anything stupid. Someone said Bort had a lot of turnovers this game, which I couldn't disagree with anymore. I didn't see any big mistakes or bad turnovers from either rookie this game.

Watching MB try and dance with the puck and fall on his ass was hilarious and I was cracking up. Seeing him laugh about it was funny as hell.

Jiggy, this is the type of game where Sid having two third wheels for wingers and Geno and Neal having a guy who's not a roster player on half the teams in the league for a LW rear their ugly heads.

Sid needed someone to help make a play. Geno and Neal actually generated a lot in the first, only to have Boychuk do his Letang on the PP black hole impersonation.

Those two issues get addressed, and in a game like this Sid and Geno would've chased Marty in the first.

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#pens 2nd line LW slot this season is equivalent of clearing snow for car spot then having truck plow you in anyway. #TribHKY

Last edited:

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
The Pens have three playoff caliber wingers for the top six right now?

Kunitz and Neal clearly are, and Dupuis is more than servicable. All we need is one legitimate top 6 guy. I'd even take another third liner who be a tweener in the top 6 at this point. Expecting Shero to bring in two top 6 upgrades is unrealistic.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I didn't realize that Kulemin made 7M per year. Thank you for clarifying.

Sorry. The way some people talk about him, thoughtfor sure he was making at least 8.

Jokes are over for the day. Id actually like to add ( realistically) kulemin for malkin and vrbata for crosby, without having to give up niskanen who we will need come playoff time. Picks and prospects.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
the linesmen seemed to have no clue what the rules of icing are, and then by the end the 'everything must be called' ******** wound up helping decide the game.

I loved Cooke's face when his dump in from the blue line was blown icing. Quite funny, but yes, pretty frustrating game all round really.

Fire Shero*

What a cop out excuse. Staal and michaleks salary was replaced with Surtter and Tanner Glass. We have more than enough cap room to bring in some respectable players.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Frustratng game for sure although I figured we'd be due to lose one.

As long as we win tomarrow night and split wins with NJ this weekend I'm happy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Didn't catch the game today. Who were the refs? Just wondering if they're notoriously bad, or if this was just a bad game for them.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Glad I had to miss this one.

It seems as though the refs have been a little rough around the edges this year. I've been watching more of other teams than usual, and I know from watching a bunch of other games, this boarding issue has got to be sorted out immediately. It's called one way one night, and another way the next.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Have to say, this is pretty much where I'm at. I thought going in to the game we were due for a loss, and when Bibs started talking about it being Marty's 1,200th regular season game, I figured he'd be 'on' ... hilarious gaffe aside.

I've seen some adjustments, as far as Bylsma goes that have given me some hope, but that the changes came when even the main-stream media were speculating he'd be the first coach fired ... well ... like you I'm more concerned about the playoffs.

My plus for the game ... now that his point streak is broken Sid will be shaving off the skank 'stache.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In a morbid sort of way, I kind of like to see the Pens lose these types of games once in a while just to remind them (management) that they still could use some help in their top six. When goals are easy to come by, like during the winning streak, I just worry that Shero might think we're OK up front. But a loss like today once in a while (not often) could be the constant reminder that he's got work to do.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Great as in the same person saying 'let's not get Geno and Neal a LW; let's take more time to see what we've got with BOYCHUKTANGRADIKENNEDYJEFFREY, as if to suggest it's not obvious? :dunno:

Oh the second line definitely needs a winger, but not at the expense of paul martin unless we're talking a bobby ryan type player which obviously isn't going to happen.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Have to say, this is pretty much where I'm at. I thought going in to the game we were due for a loss, and when Bibs started talking about it being Marty's 1,200th regular season game, I figured he'd be 'on' ... hilarious gaffe aside.

I've seen some adjustments, as far as Bylsma goes that have given me some hope, but that the changes came when even the main-stream media were speculating he'd be the first coach fired ... well ... like you I'm more concerned about the playoffs.

My plus for the game ... now that his point streak is broken Sid will be shaving off the skank 'stache.

They could win twenty in a row and I'd still be worried about the playoffs.... how Crosby and Malkin have to go into God mode to beat tight checking, if DB can make adjustments, keep his team disciplined, take advantage of line match ups, etc.

Until I see these things not being problems come playoff time, nothing in the reg season will convince me.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In a morbid sort of way, I kind of like to see the Pens lose these types of games once in a while just to remind them (management) that they still could use some help in their top six. When goals are easy to come by, like during the winning streak, I just worry that Shero might think we're OK up front. But a loss like today once in a while (not often) could be the constant reminder that he's got work to do.

It isn't morbid, just realistic.

Malkin and Crosby mask problems up front.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I like how Root Sports did a spot on Scott Stevens, then showed Orpik on the ice with dingbat Steigerwald comparing some of his hits to Stevens.

Then Orpik proceeds to stand around watching the puck after the faceoff, blowing his assignment causing a goal.

I give a minus to Fleury. Bench him. He is making $5million a year, he should be able to stop every single shot against him on the PK. :sarcasm:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
To lose our win streak was disappointing, as it was to see Crosby held pointless but we have to focus on the game tomorrow now. Going 5 unbeaten was still a big achievement, how many times do teams go that many unbeaten?

We need to make sure we get revenge on them tomorrow and repeat our earlier home appearance against them and embarrass Brodeur/Hedberg.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So you're telling me the stupid slashing penalties and retaliatory penalties (especially by Geno) spurned on by frustration, and the unsportsmanlike penalty for trashing the ref weren't deserved?

The Vitale penalty, yes. That was an awful call. But the temper tantrum this team threw today because of the refs was embarrassing.

Pretty much how I saw it.

Devils played better for about the last 45 minutes of that game.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Pretty much how I saw it.

Devils played better for about the last 45 minutes of that game.

If the officials let everything go, you adjust your game according. If they call the game as they did today, you adjust your game accordingly.

Full credit to the Dev's for adapting so quickly to how the refs were calling it and milking it for what it's worth. That was the difference between the two teams for mine.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know what's frustrating? Even the New Jersey Devils under GM Lou Lamoriello, notorious for over-ripening prospects and having them play the Devils way for years down on the farm...EVEN New Jersey has an 18-year-old first-round draft pick winger...playing on the top line, scoring his first today.

So. Frustrating.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If the officials let everything go, you adjust your game according. If they call the game as they did today, you adjust your game accordingly.

Full credit to the Dev's for adapting so quickly to how the refs were calling it and milking it for what it's worth. That was the difference between the two teams for mine.

Devils didn't adapt. They did many of the same things but weren't called for it.

Just inconsistency. Annoying, but I guess it happens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad