Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Bort/Engo: They are bringing the physical/grit/mean atmosphere to this team. Big hits, being aggressive, and getting in people's faces is what they do. It's so enjoyable to watch these guys do what they do. It's definitely affecting everyone else in the line up as they start playing with the same passion/grit.

+ Reese: Can't complain about what he did today. He looks good as a #8 who comes in when we need help. I think he made Pittsburgh proud with his game. If it weren't for his keep in the first period, we don't get a goal.

Minus

- Refs: I never complain about the refs but this was a ****ing joke. Two joke penalties for clean hits, phantom icings, and some clear as day interference calls right in front of the ref w/ no calls. It makes no sense. One of the worst officiated games I've seen in years.

- Geno's Anger: He needs to stop hurting the team with immature penalties. We are going on the powerplay and instantly we get back to 4 on 4. He was battling Green the entire game. It was a good 1 on 1 battle the entire game. He can't let that happen.

- Flow of the game: With penalties, phantom icing calls, etc. the flow was really hurt. The lines couldn't run through normally and it felt like it really took away from a good game.

- Stat Keeper: There were probably 2 million hits in this game and the stats kept showing like 4-5. What are you watching?

- Penalties: We don't need to go into it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Too many penalties. There's nothing else really to say about this game.

scrappylilnobody

Feb 11, 2006
+ Despres

Our young defensemen are playing more important minutes now that Letang/Niskanen are injured and boy have they played well.

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Anyways, tough loss.

+ Flower, I thought MAF had a good game, just too many PP's for them.
+ Engo
+ Bort

- No offense really
-----refs, come one, I mean really? those boarding calls on Vitale were terrible.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
- Penalties: this wasn't a hockey game, I don't even know what it was
+ Tomorrow: reset and start again (with different refs ..)

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
The refs really, really, really killed this game tonight. Plain and simple. I'm not going to forgive our guys for the occasional undisciplined, boneheaded penalty...but wow lol

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Plus

- Refs: I never complain about the refs but this was a ****ing joke. Two joke penalties for clean hits, phantom icings, and some clear as day interference calls right in front of the ref w/ no calls. It makes no sense. One of the worst officiated games I've seen in years.

Maybe I missed someone getting a stick on the puck at center ice or a penguin clipping the puck after it exited the zone, but it sure seemed to me that an icing near the end went uncalled because there were 5 pens and 4 devils on the ice. Thing is, it was 4 on 4 plus the extra attacker for the goalie being out. Shoulda been icing.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
+ no injuries. Thought for sure this frustrating game would leave us even more frustrated with an injury to a top player.

+ no jersey Cartoon Network announcing tomorrow night.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
+ Bort
+ Fleury looked good, can't blame him for any of the goals

- Everything else
- One of the worst reffed games I've ever seen.

edit: And I want to make it clear...a lot of those penalties were deserved, especially at the end...but way too many phantom calls, too many calls only being called one way, the linesmen seemed to have no clue what the rules of icing are, and then by the end the 'everything must be called' ******** wound up helping decide the game. The refs had way too big of a hand in this game and it was that way from the start. Hockey is meant to be played, not stopped every time someone gets a stick within their personal bubble.

Last edited:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Anyway, everyone chill the **** out, it was a joke game and we came in today at the top of the conference. People saying that our 5 game winning streak was just because the other teams sucked..give me a break.

Fire Shero*

- geno
- maf (3rd period$
- not playing against Holtby
- the Boychuk experiment has run it's course. Find a solution Shero, outside of the organization
- dumb penalties

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know, Big. That third goal was a bit crap. He could have saved that. He still played great hockey, but that was a **** goal.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't understand how a single one of our defensemen gets a + this game. They were awful, we couldn't break out a puck to save our life.

I'd give a + to Sid, he had 6 shots and was playing spirited hockey. Fleury was great. Beyond that, I can't really think of any positives.

Reffing was not why we lost this game, anyone complaining about that is just trying to delude themselves because the Pens played an awful hockey game and deserved to lose.

Jahodac

Feb 12, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
- Everything

When things don't go the Pen's way, they throw a tantrum and kill any chance of getting back into the game by taking stupid penalties. It frustrates me to no end; pathetic.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Anyway, everyone chill the **** out, it was a joke game and we came in today at the top of the conference. People saying that our 5 game winning streak was just because the other teams sucked..give me a break.

the Pens certainly didn't help their cause by playing like children (especially Malkin)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My worst fear is that McGeough comes out of his role as Supervisor of referees and suits up tomorrow to show his charges how to really butcher a game.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sometime during the season every single team is gonna get screwed by the refs. Today was the pens day to get screwed nothing u can do about that. Saying that i still think NJ was the better team and deserved the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad