Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Poor officiating caused Geno to loose his mind and make poor decisions and caused Sid to cough up the puck a lot more that usual. Crap officiating or not, the Pens did not deserve to win this game.

No, they didn't. And, frankly, they should have buried the Devils in the first anyway.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.

That's why I said he's trying.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Where was Dustin Jeffrey in this game? Doesn't this coaching staff believe in playing skill players on lower lines against teams that have trouble scoring goals (NJ Devils)? [I feel like having Vitale as the only skilled player on the 4th line, limits his effectiveness.] :shakehead We'll see if Bylsma is a day late and a dollar short and inserts Jeffrey at the CEC tomorrow.:nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.

Notwithstanding the fact a few of current contracts likely won't be renewed, won't a huge chunk of the cap space be eaten up when the caps drops next year?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Notwithstanding the fact a few of current contracts likely won't be renewed, won't a huge chunk of the cap space be eaten up when the caps drops next year?

I'm sure he'll try to come up with something. Ray Shero really tries, and trying, not advancing in the playoffs, is what counts. :pcheer:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The thing is, better asset management is to make a trade AFTER these guys prove it in the NHL some. Look at Bort and Despres. In a couple of weeks I would bet anything each of their trade values doubled.

Either trade a guy like Martin or Niskanen for full trade value and count on these kids to step up. A risky proposition to be sure. Or give these kids a month or two to prove their value. Trading prospects is the WORST asset management possible because you are lucky to get the pick you spent on them.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Poor officiating caused Geno to loose his mind and make poor decisions and caused Sid to cough up the puck a lot more that usual. Crap officiating or not, the Pens did not deserve to win this game.

Any team who spends over an entire period in the box shouldn't win, deserved or not.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I just don't understand some of the calls not going both ways. Get some crap interference on us, then on the same play that Clarkson got a slash on Malkin, Greene interferes with him and drags him down. Were they afraid to call two penalties at once?

Of course, Malkin negated the Clarkson PP by 'roughing'

Yeah, that was my breaking point. That "rough" had to be the most mild case of roughing I've ever seen called. It was a joke. Yeah, maybe Malkin should recognize the situation and skate away but come on! A rough? More than that happens in front of the net on every single shot on goal in every single game. Clearly the refs were sending a message that they were irritated with the Pens IMO.

This is my last post about the officiating though. I just had to get it off my chest. It pains me to even refer to them as officials after that pathetic display. The average borderline fan could have done a better job of calling this game fairly and evenly.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Cool. Then we should reserve judgement, I think. :)

Hard as it can be to watch sometimes, this team has the players to get into good playoff position in the regular season. But if Shero hasn't acquired a legit scoring winger by the deadline, then I think he rightfully deserves criticism.

We have movable contracts if we acquire the right winger. Staal being a core guy kind of gummed up the machinery.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Where was Dustin Jeffrey in this game? Doesn't this coaching staff believe in playing skill players on lower lines against teams that have trouble scoring goals (NJ Devils)? [I feel like having Vitale as the only skilled player on the 4th line, limits his effectiveness.] :shakehead We'll see if Bylsma is a day late and a dollar short and inserts Jeffrey at the CEC tomorrow.:nod:

sitting Vitale would be a terrible decision.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If you read the main board the Pens got all the calls this game, oh and the usual Crosby is a punk stuff.

I am proud of our fanbase that no matter what faults we have we keep our griping mostly to this board. After games like this it is natural to vent but good that we mostly keep it in family.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The thing is, better asset management is to make a trade AFTER these guys prove it in the NHL some. Look at Bort and Despres. In a couple of weeks I would bet anything each of their trade values doubled.

Either trade a guy like Martin or Niskanen for full trade value and count on these kids to step up. A risky proposition to be sure. Or give these kids a month or two to prove their value. Trading prospects is the WORST asset management possible because you are lucky to get the pick you spent on them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Timing is everything when making trades. Just like we landed James Neal by buying low, the best thing would be to sell high on someone...not trade away guys like Tangradi or Jeffrey who still need to establish themselves.

Hell, trading Paul Martin now sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Well done, Jaded.
:handclap:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
sitting Vitale would be a terrible decision.

Glad someone has some sense around here. BTW did you see my comment at the end about NJ's announcers? THe one guy went Full Steigy in the last 5 minutes. Was all he could do to hold back the Hobie Baker jokes.

Let's see there was

"the goalie's shi t pads"

"Ground Hog Dejavu"

"Just watch those Devils, Ray. They are the best in the world at making great offensive teams less offensive." (He actually claims to have said that to Shero, who he claims asked him "How do the Devils do it?")

It was... surreal.

But again they were never the type of homers that do this:

"Oh that call against our team was ****!"

"Oh that **** call against the opposing team was deserved!"

They were pretty reasonable when it came to not being anti-Penguin. But that's about all they were, as it turns out. Like I said almost as bad as Steigy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Glad someone has some sense around here. BTW did you see my comment at the end about NJ's announcers? THe one guy went Full Steigy in the last 5 minutes. Was all he could do to hold back the Hobie Baker jokes.

Let's see there was

"Ground Hog Dejavu"

"Just watch those Devils, Ray. They are the best in the world at making great offensive teams less offensive." (He actually claims to have said that to Shero, who he claims asked him "How do the Devils do it?")

It was... surreal.

They were pretty reasonable when it came to not being anti-Penguin. But that's about all they were, as it turns out. Like I said almost as bad as Steigy.

Doc used to be able to control Chico. :laugh:

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Timing is everything when making trades. Just like we landed James Neal by buying low, the best thing would be to sell high on someone...not trade away guys like Tangradi or Jeffrey who still need to establish themselves.

Hell, trading Paul Martin now sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Well done, Jaded.
:handclap:

Paul Martin has been a rock on the blueline, let's trade him for wingerz!!!!!!! and have Bortuzzo play against the Ovi's and Nash's of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

great idea :shakehead

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Let's see there was

"Ground Hog Dejavu"

It was... surreal.

"Oh wow, great call by the officials there on that interference by Engelland!"
"Great play by Larsson there to tie up Despres and stop him getting to that loose puck!"

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Paul Martin has been a rock on the blueline, let's trade him for wingerz!!!!!!! and have Bortuzzo play against the Ovi's and Nash's of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

great idea :shakehead

Great as in the same person saying 'let's not get Geno and Neal a LW; let's take more time to see what we've got with BOYCHUKTANGRADIKENNEDYJEFFREY, as if to suggest it's not obvious? :dunno:

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
++ Martin. I am absolutely jaw-dropped by this guy this season. He is like a completely different player. So much confidence. Pens are finally getting a $5.5 million per year player out of that contract.

- Penalties. I won't blame the officials, part of the game is figuring out what you can and can't get away with. After the first few, these guys should have buckled down and played super-clean. They didn't, so they paid the price.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
++ Martin. I am absolutely jaw-dropped by this guy this season. He is like a completely different player. So much confidence. Pens are finally getting a $5.5 million per year player out of that contract.

- Penalties. I won't blame the officials, part of the game is figuring out what you can and can't get away with. After the first few, these guys should have buckled down and played super-clean. They didn't, so they paid the price.

Exactly. Martin playing at this level is beyond huge for us. With bort and despres stepping up as well, if all that continues and our only problem is needing another top 6 winger, after what we witnessed in last years playoffs...im one happy guy

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Doc used to be able to control Chico. :laugh:

Yah I think that's right... Chico. WTF that guy is loony.

"Oh wow, great call by the officials there on that interference by Engelland!"
"Great play by Larsson there to tie up Despres and stop him getting to that loose puck!"

I think Larsson actually did have a pretty good game the couple plays I saw him make. But when some people get called for playing hockey normally (within what we thought were the rules), and others don't it makes all the commentary look bad.

They noted a few times how the calls being made were borderline / the league is calling everything so... FWIW... just making note they weren't that bad / didn't make me miss Steigy and Errey and Potash. Not until the end, anyway.

"Dude you're sittin' too close to Potash!"

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. Martin playing at this level is beyond huge for us. With bort and despres stepping up as well, if all that continues and our only problem is needing another top 6 winger, after what we witnessed in last years playoffs...im one happy guy

The Pens have three playoff caliber wingers for the top six right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad