Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: I love beating the Flyers!!!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Flyers lost in OT... Isles won, Caps won, Rangers got a point, and Winnipeg won.

Bad day in Philly.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Can't understand the minus on the game itself. Thought it was quality, still had intensity but not the gong show other contests have been. :huh:

I am completely relieved to get out of this with our star players heads still attached. Hopefully the possible injuries to others will back this up but I was sold on the fact that they'd be gunning for us because they have little to play for. Or that their thinking would be to goon it up to get a cheap win.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I remember last season I said that Neal is sort of a one trick pony(who admittedly has a great trick) and people jumped down my throat. Anyone still disagree with that description now? I'm sorry, but pulling the trigger is pretty much all he brings. He's really good at it and I'm thrilled to have a young winger who can finish, but he's pretty average(below average tonight) without Malkin.

As for the game tonight, the main plus for me goes to Fleury. Playing like this against a Flyers team that has had his number recently was great to see. Outside of a rough 3 game stretch earlier in the season, this is the most impressed I've been with Fleury in a long time.

Been saying all year that Kunitz and Dupuis each do more to help Sid than Neal does for Geno. At least when Bennett got a stint on the LW, it wasn't SO obvious. It will be again with Morrow there.

Flyers845

Jan 19, 2006
Philadelphia Pa
Great shot from Kennedy. Kinda mad from Luke schenns half hearted defensive shot block deer in headlights. No one was stopping that snipe. Good game to watch not the usual flyers pens game but oh well

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
What does mental IQ have to do with hockey IQ anyway? Plus, did anyone ever think Neal was mensa member material anyway?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
+ Now Flower has stats to go with perception
+ First Line, not the biggest plus ever, but another solid game, Flyers really packed it tight against them, needed lucky bounces to get through
=Second line, it's good that DJ finds himself in a position, I thought Neal played harder, no worry about him, BB he always makes few great defensive plays, but what worries me it seems like he doesn't have that jump when go one on one, he looks slow to me, maybe its me..
+I thought third line was a better line tonight, Sutter was solid, Cooke ditto, and TK...
+PK liked it although we got scored at, keep it aggresive
+PP better, like how Sid was asking for a pass for one timers
+ defense was OK, I though Martin was commanding I don't know why some said he had bad game
Nisky was solid, smart,

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
+ The two ****** flyers fans in my section taunting Pens fans/celebrating the Flyers goal as if they had just won the Cup and then getting mercilessly ridiculed on the way out after the game.

+ Beating the Flyers

- Coburn. What a dick.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Nisky is playing great hockey for us. **** Kulemin, our guy is way better than him (yeah I´m comparing Dman to forward, but it´s just so obvious). So cool with the puck at the offensive zone, making smart and patient plays. Legit TOP4 D, he loves it here, is on a good contract and fits our style like a glove. We have to keep him for a long time here and it shouldn´t be a problem.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Gotta say that Despres had one terrible shift. I hype the hell out of the kid, and thought he played very well otherwise as always, but I have to keep it real. He could have lost the games for us there, twice.
That was of course the reason he then got benched for many shifts after that, and part of the reason his TOI was so low. One could of course say that there were lots of bad plays also from Orpik, Eaton and Martin in this one without them missing any shifts, but I am just happy to see that Bylsma had enough faith in Despres to have him out there in OT.... where he made a significant contribution to us getting the win when he took the puck up ice, held the zone for the forwards coming in off the line change, and helped create the room that TK needed.

Final note on the defenders - Niskanen was fantastic in this game. Covered Eaton's butt on many occasions and excelled with his outlets and contributions in the offensive zone.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
When you only give up one goal a lot of things went right. Fleury played really well to go with the effort.

Never thought i would say that eaton brings a level of defensive awareness and capability along with his simple game that seems to really sure up the back end.

Wish the forwards shot more tonight. We didn't make the best use of our chances when in close by looking for the pass, but that is a good gripe to have all things considered.

Train keeps rolling. Can't wait to see morrow with neal and Geno. Bennet with sutter. Cooke or TK on the 4th. 4th with one less standby.

If bennet leaves the lineup, i'll be pissed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
-Matt Niskanen is a legitimate top four defenseman. I really have no idea why Shero would be interested in adding another defenseman to this roster. Especially with Eaton looking solid, we've legitimately got 7 defensemen who I feel comfortable with in the playoffs (8 if Bortuzzo ever actually plays again).

-Sidney Crosby is the best player on the planet. Pass it on.

-Fleury continues to give the Pens strong goaltending. Please, please, PLEASE continue this kind of play come playoff time, Marc-Andre.

-I'm kind of glad the Flyers earned a point. They're still out of a playoff spot, but not too far down that they'll get a franchise player (unless they win the lottery).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
When you only give up one goal a lot of things went right. Fleury played really well to go with the effort.

Never thought i would say that eaton brings a level of defensive awareness and capability along with his simple game that seems to really sure up the back end.

Wish the forwards shot more tonight. We didn't make the best use of our chances when in close by looking for the pass, but that is a good gripe to have all things considered.

Train keeps rolling. Can't wait to see morrow with neal and Geno. Bennet with sutter. Cooke or TK on the 4th. 4th with one less standby.

If bennet leaves the lineup, i'll be pissed.

He will if everyone is healthy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
-Matt Niskanen is a legitimate top four defenseman. I really have no idea why Shero would be interested in adding another defenseman to this roster. Especially with Eaton looking solid, we've legitimately got 7 defensemen who I feel comfortable with in the playoffs (8 if Bortuzzo ever actually plays again).

-Sidney Crosby is the best player on the planet. Pass it on.

-Fleury continues to give the Pens strong goaltending. Please, please, PLEASE continue this kind of play come playoff time, Marc-Andre.

-I'm kind of glad the Flyers earned a point. They're still out of a playoff spot, but not too far down that they'll get a franchise player (unless they win the lottery).

When Letang is out of the line up, Nisky turns into a different player. He was amazing tonight.

Also completely agree with you on Fleury. His simple game really has helped us. I just love how he isn't flopping around.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It will be a travesty if Martin is moved off PP1.
That pass to Kunitz, leading to the 5on3 and his work in the OZ during the PP's were great.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Found it interesting that in his press conference when asked about where Morrow fit, Dan said either with Malkin and Neal or with Cooke and Sutter. That obviously leaves TK as the odd man out, either via trade or a possible demotion to the 4th line.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I know it has been so long now that it is just a fact, and not a "trend let's see if it lasts".....but Paul Martin has been so unbelievably good. He almost thinks the game (per his position and abilities) at a crosby level. Whatever Z was doing to him must have been bad LOL.

Back to Bennet. I don't doubt he would draw the short straw per Disco's tendencies. But he has earned time with responsible hard play in all 3 zones, while showing he adds more from an offensive perspective than our other chuggers.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I know it has been so long now that it is just a fact, and not a "trend let's see if it lasts".....but Paul Martin has been so unbelievably good. He almost thinks the game (per his position and abilities) at a crosby level. Whatever Z was doing to him must have been bad LOL.

I really believe Martin's fitness level had just gone down since he had the nice contract to fall back on. He was embarassed last year at his own play and gave Shero the commitment to being ready this year.

You're right about his smarts though. He's a very heady player and can make picking off plays and just poking pucks away from danger look effortless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad