Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno owns Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He does now, he didnt as of the end of the game.

Right.

We have to understand they are at the mercy of another teams stat counter.

Tech. if that game were at the PPG Paints Guentzel might have even got an assist on Daley's goal since he did possibly get his stick on the clearing attempt Daley gloved down.

They also got the three stars wrong with exception of, Sheary.

Sheary was a top star. Goals always trump.

The real hard choice is out of Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin and Murray for the other two. In the end, what Murray did was more important to them winning early in the game. Then Hagelin (GWG), then Kessel, just because he assisted on the game winner and scored a goal. Finally, Geno, who assisted on Kessel's goal and then scoring one of his own after this game had already been decided. It was 5-0 at that point in the game with him only having an assist.

So if anyone deserved to be in the top three it is Hagelin or Kessel.

Sheary
Murray
Hagelin/Kessel

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
It's great that Sheary is breaking out. Crosby having a guy on his line who can also create offence on his own is huge. Last year vs the Rangers when Sheary was streaking down the left side, I was thinking "too bad that's not Crosby or that could be a goal" then the next thing you know Sheary scores a goal from above the circle. When is the last time Sid has had a winger who could do that?

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Right.

We have to understand they are at the mercy of another teams stat counter.

Tech. if that game were at the PPG Paints Guentzel might have even got an assist on Daley's goal since he did possibly get his stick on the clearing attempt Daley gloved down.

They also got the three stars wrong with exception of, Sheary.

Sheary was a top star. Goals always trump.

The real hard choice is out of Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin and Murray for the other two. In the end, what Murray did was more important to them winning early in the game. Then Hagelin (GWG), then Kessel, just because he assisted on the game winner and scored a goal. Finally, Geno, who assisted on Kessel's goal and then scoring one of his own after this game had already been decided. It was 5-0 at that point in the game with him only having an assist.

So if anyone deserved to be in the top three it is Hagelin or Kessel.

Sheary
Murray
Hagelin/Kessel

I don't have an issue with Daley being the star. Daley had a great game. Not only the first goal, but was just dominate all throughout the ice. Fantastic possession, hustled back to stop that breakaway, and just a all round good pinches. He was on the ice for 4 goals for the Pens, and the only goal against was because a botched effort by Fehr and Crosby. I think that was Daley's best game of the year, I have no issues with him being a star.

LunaticFringe

May 28, 2008
So far, from what I've seen, I'm fine with keeping that line together for the foreseeable future.

The only wrench to throw into that plan is Crosby's line not working. If they don't want to break up HBK, the only other option is to move Rust and Horny. At least Rust and Malkin have worked before in the past.

edit: I would be remiss to not mention the "Here we go Steelers" chant at the end of the game. ****ing awesome to hear, I can't lie. The Carolina's have a lot of displaced Pittsburghers living there.

If you don't live in the Carolinas, you have no idea how many Pittsburgh fans/displaced Pittsburghers live here. Go to a Carolina Panthers football game against the Steelers, more than half of the stadium are rocking terrible towels. Most everywhere I've worked here, and I've done contract work, so I've worked at several places over the years, if you walk the floors there, you will see tons of Steelers, Penguins and Pitt Panthers banners and paraphernalia. It's almost like I never left western PA!

Edit: I laugh every time I hear an announcer saying how well Steelers/Penguins fans travel! We're already there!

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
sheary has more goals than kessel lol. who would've thought that so far

If you told me that he would be playing wing to Crosby all season long while Kessel would be playing with this version of HBK, probably me considering they haven't even looked serviceable as a line for about the entire season so far minus this one game.

He's got one ES with Hags and Bones this season, I don't expect it to get better.

Last edited:

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
The key things about Sheary are that he is always ready and he has not quit. That makes it sound simply and almost as if everyone with a bit of heart could do it (which leads to all the "my grandma would score next to Crosby/Malkin" posts on the main board), but hardly anyone ever does (though Horny has the no quit part down too). There was a reason Zach Boychuk was drafted super high and Conor Sheary not at all, it just has turned out to be a really bad reason since.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was just going through this line up on capfriendly and I honestly have no idea how this thing shakes out going forward. It's a great problem to have.

Absolutely. It's crazy to think how many forward prospects have panned out well for us over the past year, especially considering how hard it had been for the Pens to develop (non lotto) forwards previously.

Midas touch stuff.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Absolutely. It's crazy to think how many forward prospects have panned out well for us over the past year, especially considering how hard it had been for the Pens to develop (non lotto) forwards previously.

Midas touch stuff.

In all honesty, have we ever really tried to develop any forwards under previous coaching staffs? Like actually worked with them and put them in places to succeed while giving them votes of confidence when they inevitably screw up?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Midas touch stuff.

I think it's mostly just luck to be honest. Look at guys like Kuhnhackl for example, he reinvented his game from a sniper/power forward to a defensive grinder because he'd never succeed in the pros as a sniper. I don't think it has to do much with development from the Penguins side, they just lucked into guys like Sheary (undersized winger who exploded the second he turned pro), Wilson (late 7th round pick who developed into a nice jack of all trades winger) and Kuhnhackl (already mentioned).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In all honesty, have we ever really tried to develop any forwards under previous coaching staffs? Like actually worked with them and put them in places to succeed while giving them votes of confidence when they inevitably screw up?

No. Not that I can remember.

The Big Dog? :laugh:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Midas touch stuff.

Yep, Mark Recchi and company seem like they are doing well in developing these guys.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Part of it is opportunity and development, and part of it is identifying and prioritizing forward prospects with great motors and good hockey IQ in the first place. We've had a lot of those types come through all at once.

For instance, I don't think Guentzel was given the opportunities he should have after a great start in the NHL, but he was just too damn good to ignore in WBS.

Yep, Mark Recchi and company seem like they are doing well in developing these guys.

Definitely.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Sheary has been a great surprise with Sid. He's small but makes up for it with great tenacity on the puck, speed, and a great knack for getting to the right areas. Everything bylsma thought brian gibbons was. He's as good a winger as sid's had since hossa - and i think it helps that he plays very similarly to sid.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Surely there's one or two. How far back can we go?

Johnston at least put Bennett with Crosby last season until ****ing oshie happened. It's one of two or three good things he did.

Wilson seems to be okay, that's really nice to see.

That's great. :handclap:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, it's tough to argue with success. Though I think that second line would look dominant with Rico Fata and Eric Meloche on either wing because Malkin is just in one of those grooves, right now. Which isn't to say that Guentzel and Horns aren't helping... because they certainly are.

But I'll never really believe that Hornqvist and Malkin are going to be the best way to fully take advantage of either player. Especially when Crosby looks to need a switch at RW.

Yeah, pretty much how I see things at this point.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You think S-C-R and H-B-K have been clicking? I disagree emphatically.

SCR finally got on the scoresheet as a unit in the third, and HBK has been, well, slightly less awful than theyve played for the rest of the year.

Listen, I've been advocating against HBK since game 3 of this season, but changing the lines right now might not be the best move, given the tightness of our division, and given how many goals this team is popping in every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad