Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno owns Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

++++ Geno line: Dominated by Geno in every single way. Back to back great 200 foot games. There was one shift, ended in a goal, where Geno made 2 defensive plays and led the charge offensively, too. Just dominant stuff from Geno. Great defensive game. Great offensive game. Great neutral zone game. Great powerplay stuff. He's awesome. Major props to 72 and 59,too. Nobody is more frustrating to the opposition than Hornqvist. You can see by how goalies just go crazy when he's out there.

+++ Defense: Most importantly the defense was strong with their gap. The first 10 minutes was a bit rough, but our defense really gapped up tight and created turnovers. It's something that doesn't have a stat but is so important to hockey. If your defense can hold ground and gap up, it knocks all the flow and push from the opposition.

Major props to Gaunce in this game, too. I just really liked his game overall. Smart. Simple. To the point.

+++ Murray: If not for Mur, we may have been down early in the game. He was incredible early on and then allowed our offense to explode. We really struggled out of the gate and it was Murray making the difference.

+ Just overall great road game. Really happy they exploded. The Pens fans in Carolina were awesome and the team played sound. 4th line was excellent again, too. Just all around great stuff. Great carryover from Montreal.

Major props to Kunitz and Wilson who were great all night. 4th line is the perfect role for them.

+ Daley: His best game since the takeover game for Letang's suspension against Washington in the playoffs. He was great in the defensive zone. He was great offensively. His skating has been good all season but his defensive consistency tonight was 60 minutes. Best game of this season by Daley.

Minus

- Ward's punch is disgusting. Player safety should be something the league cares about and it's just disgusting. Guy is laying on the ice after the whistle.. It's disgusting and needs out of the game. That needs to be a suspension and we all know it won't be. It's just utterly disgusting and I'll argue and rant about this for days. Player safety needs to be a real focus.

Equal

Sid's line just isn't there. I don't like it and they aren't passing the eye test at all. They are hemmed in their zone a lot. Sid looks disinterested and the only Canes goal was entirely his fault. He just stared the play down and didn't feel like skating. It's like he passed off his 200 foot game to Geno and just doesn't look interested at all right now. And it's frustrating because Rust just doesn't fit that line and it keeps getting forced out there. I don't like it but the bright spot in Sheary is just dominating. 43 is excellent this year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Plus

++++ Geno line: Dominated by Geno in every single way. Back to back great 200 foot games. There was one shift, ended in a goal, where Geno made 2 defensive plays and led the charge offensively, too. Just dominant stuff from Geno. Great defensive game. Great offensive game. Great neutral zone game. Great powerplay stuff. He's awesome. Major props to 72 and 59,too. Nobody is more frustrating to the opposition than Hornqvist. You can see by how goalies just go crazy when he's out there.

+++ Defense: Most importantly the defense was strong with their gap. The first 10 minutes was a bit rough, but our defense really gapped up tight and created turnovers. It's something that doesn't have a stat but is so important to hockey. If your defense can hold ground and gap up, it knocks all the flow and push from the opposition.

Major props to Gaunce in this game, too. I just really liked his game overall. Smart. Simple. To the point.

+++ Murray: If not for Mur, we may have been down early in the game. He was incredible early on and then allowed our offense to explode. We really struggled out of the gate and it was Murray making the difference.

+ Just overall great road game. Really happy they exploded. The Pens fans in Carolina were awesome and the team played sound. 4th line was excellent again, too. Just all around great stuff. Great carryover from Montreal.

Major props to Kunitz and Wilson who were great all night. 4th line is the perfect role for them.

+ Daley: His best game since the takeover game for Letang's suspension against Washington in the playoffs. He was great in the defensive zone. He was great offensively. His skating has been good all season but his defensive consistency tonight was 60 minutes. Best game of this season by Daley.

Minus

- Ward's punch is disgusting. Player safety should be something the league cares about and it's just disgusting. Guy is laying on the ice after the whistle.. It's disgusting and needs out of the game. That needs to be a suspension and we all know it won't be. It's just utterly disgusting and I'll argue and rant about this for days. Player safety needs to be a real focus.

Equal

Sid's line just isn't there. I don't like it and they aren't passing the eye test at all. They are hemmed in their zone a lot. Sid looks disinterested and the only Canes goal was entirely his fault. He just stared the play down and didn't feel like skating. It's like he passed off his 200 foot game to Geno and just doesn't look interested at all right now. And it's frustrating because Rust just doesn't fit that line and it keeps getting forced out there. I don't like it but the bright spot in Sheary is just dominating. 43 is excellent this year.

I like my thread title better. Can you merge our threads?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++++++++++++++++++ The Carolina crowd
+++++++++++++++ Murray
+++++++++++++++ Geno
+++++++++++ Guentzel-Horny
+++++++++++ Daley looked like last year's version.
+++++++ HBK shows some signs of life
+++++++ Line 4 (Fehr at center, Kunitz at managed minutes)
+++++++ Guance, Schultz
+++ Sheary

Other Thoughts:

* Wilson looks like he's out for a while, and that sucks.

* Sid's in a rut. An unreal pass on the goal, but didn't rotate to the middle when the defenseman pinched on the PP then just watched as Fehr got beat.

* That was some real cheap **** tonight from the Canes, Ward especially. No way to adequately capture how low rent he is. And Skinner is a sissy boy. Got what he deserved from the refs.

* Cam Ward's post game comments about Horny . . .

EDIT: Would a mod please correct GOT to GO in the thread title please?

I told you I was making it :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
BTW.. this was like the 4th road arena with huge Pittsburgh chants. Pens fans/Pittsburgh fans are ****ing awesome.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
2 really solid road wins.
Nice to see.

Why the **** can't sid ever come up with more than a point

His line has sort of drained the enthusiam out of him.
He either gets a new linemate and picks it up or takes a long look in the mirror and just works with what he has.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Didn't look good for Wilson which is an absolute ******* as he was starting to put a decent run of games together.

Cam Ward can go get ****ed by a hockey stick in the shower

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
------ couldnt decide what to watch after 1st period so ended up watching a bit of both so can't really comment on 2nd and 3rd period because I am also too drunk to remember everything

+ 7-1 sounds like a good 2nd and 3rd period

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Shame as it is about Wilson getting that injury just as he was heating up - who on earth would have thought Kunitz/Fehr/Wilson was a great fourth line - that is something nice about being able to shrug and go "Oh darn, guess I have to play Kuhnhackl".

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gaunce 15 mins. Ruh had 20 minutes of ice. That's legit ice time by two call ups and in two games have played tremendous.

And Sid didn't deserve more than 1 point in the game. That was probably his worst effort all season. And I'm fine with that. Not every player is going to come out and dominate each game. Someone will have a stinker somewhere. He had a full calendar year of absolute dominance. He's found a little rut here early in 2017 but there is no doubt he will elevate soon. But for tonight's discussion - Sid didn't deserve more than 1 point. That was a stinker by him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Gaunce 15 mins. Ruh had 20 minutes of ice. That's legit ice time by two call ups and in two games have played tremendous.

And Sid didn't deserve more than 1 point in the game. That was probably his worst effort all season. And I'm fine with that. Not every player is going to come out and dominate each game. Someone will have a stinker somewhere. He had a full calendar year of absolute dominance. He's found a little rut here early in 2017 but there is no doubt he will elevate soon. But for tonight's discussion - Sid didn't deserve more than 1 point. That was a stinker by him.

The lack of chemistry with Rust is frustrating Sid, and it's showing in his game right now.

LOVED Gaunce tonight. Highest Corsi on the team. Ruh's was among the worst along with Maatta, but I think Maatta may have been the weaker link in that pair.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought our first period was pretty crappy. Or at least the first 10-15 mins or so were. But we took over after that.

Murry made the saves to weather the storm and then the Pens took off. Definitely a classic MM performance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

:popcorn:

EDIT: Pancackes, how many times last year were the Pens flat and Murray held the fort until they woke up? As Cole said, in all respects, this was old school Murray tonight.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Guentzel - Geno - Hornqvist is an awesome line. Guentzel has so much potential to be an incredible hockey player.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The lack of chemistry with Rust is frustrating Sid, and it's showing in his game right now.

LOVED Gaunce tonight. Highest Corsi on the team. Ruh's was among the worst along with Maatta, but I think Maatta may have been the weaker link in that pair.

Very impressed with Gaunce. Never saw him before or even know how we got him, but he looks looks solid.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

:popcorn:

EDIT: Pancackes, how many times last year were the Pens flat and Murray held the fort until they woke up? As Cole said, in all respects, this was old school Murray tonight.

It definitely happened a fair share, even in the playoffs. If Carolina gets a goal or two out of that early dominance they had tonight this is a completely different hockey game. Completely.

And hey, two road wins in a row. How about that? Our road ****tiness is something we need to fix, so this is a positive step in that direction.

I like Gaunce. Aside from being smart about just lobbing quick wristers to the net he made a few solid defensive plays tonight.

Also aside from the goal which was awesome I feel like this was Trevor Daley's best game in months. This is the Daley we saw down the stretch last year and into the playoffs.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Guentzel - Geno - Hornqvist is an awesome line. Guentzel has so much potential to be an incredible hockey player.

So far, from what I've seen, I'm fine with keeping that line together for the foreseeable future.

The only wrench to throw into that plan is Crosby's line not working. If they don't want to break up HBK, the only other option is to move Rust and Horny. At least Rust and Malkin have worked before in the past.

edit: I would be remiss to not mention the "Here we go Steelers" chant at the end of the game. ****ing awesome to hear, I can't lie. The Carolina's have a lot of displaced Pittsburghers living there.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

And those moments are huge in terms of the Pens finding their form. Honestly the early goals that MAF gives up changes the tide of the game. When Murray holds the fort like he did tonight, we typically pay off big by exploding.

That game on the score sheet looks simple. It was most definitely not early on.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So far, from what I've seen, I'm fine with keeping that line together for the foreseeable future.

The only wrench to throw into that plan is Crosby's line not working. If they don't want to break up HBK, the only other option is to move Rust and Horny. At least Rust and Malkin have worked before in the past.

The one shift I saw with Guentzel-Geno-Rust (when Horny blocked a shot and left early) was more than enough.

Anyway, there's another option if Sid's line isn't working than doesn't involve touching Geno's current line or HBK. :popcorn:

And those moments are huge in terms of the Pens finding their form. Honestly the early goals that MAF gives up changes the tide of the game. When Murray holds the fort like he did tonight, we typically pay off big by exploding.

That game on the score sheet looks simple. It was most definitely not early on.

There were a number of those during the run to the playoffs too. Similar scores and stat sheets.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For some odd reason, Carolina seems to give us fits from time to time.

I wanted the Habs game to be structured and close, exactly what it was. Now that they've refocused, I want them to flex a little more offense while maintaining the smothering, quick transition defense. I also want Murray to be a stone wall.

I want a 4/5-0 game or 6-1 type game.

My post from the pre-game talk.

Mission accomplished.

So much winning today. Winning here, winning everywhere. So...much...winning.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It definitely happened a fair share, even in the playoffs. If Carolina gets a goal or two out of that early dominance they had tonight this is a completely different hockey game. Completely.

And hey, two road wins in a row. How about that? Our road ****tiness is something we need to fix, so this is a positive step in that direction.

I like Gaunce. Aside from being smart about just lobbing quick wristers to the net he made a few solid defensive plays tonight.

Also aside from the goal which was awesome I feel like this was Trevor Daley's best game in months. This is the Daley we saw down the stretch last year and into the playoffs.

Agree 100%.

The Pens NEED the Daley who played tonight.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So can we get Hornqvist back with Crosby now? guy has barely scored any goals since Rust was put there. Put Hornqvist back and let Rust play on the 2nd line with Geno and Pretzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad