Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno owns Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Scoring 7 with Crosby only having 1 point, that's Cup-material. I'd be more uncomfortable if Crosby (and Malkin) was behind 100% of the offense. They have been in the past and that hasn't worked out so good most of the playoffs.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't know how many times I have to say it, but every single one of the players on that HBK line has a style of game that thrives on everything playoff hockey brings. Namely a higher level of intensity, more focus, and an awareness that you have to give every ounce of energy you have. Those things are just hard to replicate during a long regular season. I saw some good signs tonight though after Sully spoke with that line individually.

Guess I missed something interesting. What and when did Sully say to HBK?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Last year it was frustrating at times watching Kessel avoid physicality at alllllll cost during the regular season, but man a fresh Kessel in the postseason was worth every lazy curl/forecheck/etc. And that's why i'm fine w/ HBK not working right now because Kessel can do whatever the **** he wants. I trust the guy when it matters.

The only thing I'm really worried about is Bonino's skating. He's really lagging behind the play. I just don't remember seeing that so badly last year.

Wasn't Bonino's thing perfect stretch passes to Hags and Kessel last year in the playoffs? He always lagged behind in that way, even when HBK was amazing, no?

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Pretty fundamental on two goals tonight though, right?.... and the most defensively committed player on that line pretty much every game.

I agree that he should not play there, I've argued his switch with Horny since... before the season... but to say he brings nothing to the line after this game is just daft.

Obviously Rust will get some points playing with Crosby and yes he plays great defensively but there's more suitable options out there. There's a big reason why Sid was scoring 1 gpg previously to the Horny/Rust switch. We are not even close from being in the playoffs and playing 15 minutes a night with Rust will cost Sid a couple of trophies in the long run.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Obviously Rust will get some points playing with Crosby and yes he plays great defensively but there's more suitable options out there. There's a big reason why Sid was scoring 1 gpg previously to the Horny/Rust switch. We are not even close from being in the playoffs and playing 15 minutes a night with Rust will cost Sid a couple of trophies in the long run.

I cannot say I disagree, really. Just wanted to say step up for Rusty, as I thought your post too... one-sided, say.

Sid got a nice goal against Washington off a great Sheary feed for instance, but the play only happened because Rust buried Nisky a second prior to strip him of the puck. Rust contributes.... he just isn't ideal for that line at all, and I am also just waiting for Sully to come to grips with the need for a Rust/Horny switch. Of course that will be difficult if Geno's line stays as dominant as it has been in the past couple of games.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This team would be unstoppable if you could play Rust with Cullen and Kunitz/Wilson.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Wasn't Bonino's thing perfect stretch passes to Hags and Kessel last year in the playoffs? He always lagged behind in that way, even when HBK was amazing, no?

He was also usually one of the high forwards in the offensive zone reading plays and causing turnovers before the other team could break the puck out resulting in Hagelin and Kessel getting some great unexpected looks on net.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He couldn't be more different from Disco. Even with his worst line decisions he still manages to do better than Dan would. Dan would never ever have turned Sheary and Rust into the players they are.

If we still had Dan he'd probably have Eric Fehr on Sid's wing or something.

Ya, there is no way Murray would be playing over MAF under DB. Kunitz would never sniff the fourth line, and Guenztel would have to "earn his stripes" before he ever sniffed time with Malkin.

Anyway, I'm glad justice was done and Guenztel got awarded a delayed point on Malkin's goal. Even though he was given the point for just tipping it around the horn to Malkin, he was the one who chased down a Cane with big time hustle and stripped him just before the blueline and Malkin grabbed the puck and kept it in.

He was also robbed of an assist on the Horny goal that was called back, and he's the one who peeled off the boards on the first goal and quickly closed on the Cane's blueliner and forced the turnover to Daley.

So it's nice to see him get rewarded with at least a point for his efforts last night.

His speed and IQ are a huge boon to Malkin's line, even if they have no chemistry yet.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Ya, there is no way Murray would be playing over MAF under DB. Kunitz would never sniff the fourth line, and Guenztel would have to "earn his stripes" before he ever sniffed time with Malkin.

Anyway, I'm glad justice was done and Guenztel got awarded a delayed point on Malkin's goal. Even though he was given the point for just tipping it around the horn to Malkin, he was the one who chased down a Cane with big time hustle and stripped him just before the blueline and Malkin grabbed the puck and kept it in.

He was also robbed of an assist on the Horny goal that was called back, and he's the one who peeled off the boards on the first goal and quickly closed on the Cane's blueliner and forced the turnover to Daley.

So it's nice to see him get rewarded with at least a point for his efforts last night.

His speed and IQ are a huge boon to Malkin's line, even if they have no chemistry yet.

I was wondering why he didnt have a point. Inthought it was pretty obvious he had an assist unless i was thinking the disallowed goal.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Great effort all around. It was nice to the see the pre-injury Daley playing. Re Rust, I would rather see him on the third line, and I think he's going to bring down Sid's scoring pace, but he makes so many good plays away from the puck, as long as the team is doing OK with him there, I can live with it. I didn't think anyone played badly; even the AHL call ups were good.

Last night's free pick from this site, goes in the class of you get what you pay for:

http://www.thespread.com/nhl-articles/012017-nhl-picks-penguins-vs-hurricanes-1-20-17

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was wondering why he didnt have a point. Inthought it was pretty obvious he had an assist unless i was thinking the disallowed goal.

Ya the refs prob thought he let the puck go to Malkin, but he clearly chipped it to him. Kind of a cheap helper, but considering what he did ten seconds earlier, losing a point on the Horny no-goal and forcing the turnover on the Daley goal, he deserved at least something.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That second line was very, very good earlier this year.

That said, I'm not sure I touch the current lines, they all seem to be clicking now, ranging from decent to quite good.

Yeah, it's tough to argue with success. Though I think that second line would look dominant with Rico Fata and Eric Meloche on either wing because Malkin is just in one of those grooves, right now. Which isn't to say that Guentzel and Horns aren't helping... because they certainly are.

But I'll never really believe that Hornqvist and Malkin are going to be the best way to fully take advantage of either player. Especially when Crosby looks to need a switch at RW.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Ya the refs prob thought he let the puck go to Malkin, but he clearly chipped it to him. Kind of a cheap helper, but considering what he did ten seconds earlier, losing a point on the Horny no-goal and forcing the turnover on the Daley goal, he deserved at least something.

Yeah iTs good to see chances coming off plays he is making. Speaks well to him picking up assists going forward. Also nice to see the puck not ending up in our net, even though i cant say those goals were on him its nice to see either way. Hopefully once thwy start to gel he can get aome more shots to the net.

All in all this is about all anyone can ask for from a rookie that was playing college puck a year ago.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
All in all this is about all anyone can ask for from a rookie that was playing college puck a year ago.

Speaking for myself, it handily exceeds my expectations.

I figured Guentzel was a longshot to begin and would need a good bit of time in the AHL to put his game together... if it would come together. Though his skill was never in doubt. Whoops.

I also said that Sheary was the most likely to take a big dip this year when it came to living up to lofty expectations set last year. Again... whoops.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah iTs good to see chances coming off plays he is making. Speaks well to him picking up assists going forward. Also nice to see the puck not ending up in our net, even though i cant say those goals were on him its nice to see either way. Hopefully once thwy start to gel he can get aome more shots to the net.

Ya he's creating things without Malkin really working with him, and he's still picking up points as well.

The only concern is learning to use leverage, as he got bullied on his inside rush in the second and has let a few guys get him off the puck along the boards... but like Sheary did over time, he will figure that out. Guys in the NHL are simply stronger and use their leverage much better than those in the A.

All about just playing, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad