Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno owns Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
SCR finally got on the scoresheet as a unit in the third, and HBK has been, well, slightly less awful than theyve played for the rest of the year.

Listen, I've been advocating against HBK since game 3 of this season, but changing the lines right now might not be the best move, given the tightness of our division, and given how many goals this team is popping in every night.

I wouldn't blow it up, but I'd swap around some RWs. Even just flip Rust and Kessel.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We have some great young hockey players, but even more so than Guentzel and Sprong, the guy that intrigues me the most is Sundqvist. Imagine a 6'3, 215 pound center that plays physical two-way hockey that has a scoring touch.

I so badly want him to be a Hanzal type of center where all an opponent's top line can do is get frustrated when they play against him. I can see him taking runs at Ovechkin and just making AO lose his ****ing mind.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We have some great young hockey players, but even more so than Guentzel and Sprong, the guy that intrigues me the most is Sundqvist. Imagine a 6'3, 215 pound center that plays physical two-way hockey that has a scoring touch.

I so badly want him to be a Hanzal type of center where all an opponent's top line can do is get frustrated when they play against him. I can see him taking runs at Ovechkin and just making AO lose his ****ing mind.

Maybe Canes can eat 2M of Staal's cap hit the remainder of his contract and we have Staal and Sundqvist next season as 3C and 4C.:)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, Sunny's got real potential to be that guy someday too. I think he's been NHL-ready for a couple years, honestly. Beyond his size, he's a strong, efficient player with a bit of a mean streak. Could be a real fan favourite bottom 6er here.

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
If Carolina was willing to even eat one million for the rest of his contract in a trade for Staal, I would prefer it to overpaying Bonino on an extension, assuming trade costs aren't ridiculous.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, Sunny's got real potential to be that guy someday too. I think he's been NHL-ready for a couple years, honestly. Beyond his size, he's a strong, efficient player with a bit of a mean streak. Could be a real fan favourite bottom 6er here.

I think so too but it's good to have him down there getting confidence in his offensive game. We all know he's good enough defensively to be a fourth line center already, but if he can add an offensive element and chip in 10-15 goals a year for us then he's going to be an awesome player.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think so too but it's good to have him down there getting confidence in his offensive game. We all know he's good enough defensively to be a fourth line center already, but if he can add an offensive element and chip in 10-15 goals a year for us then he's going to be an awesome player.

It's nice that Cullen gives us the luxury to do that. If it were almost any other 4C, I don't know if it'd be worth keeping OS in the minors in a year we're trying to repeat.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
If Carolina was willing to even eat one million for the rest of his contract in a trade for Staal, I would prefer it to overpaying Bonino on an extension, assuming trade costs aren't ridiculous.

Those arent the only options though. I'd love Staal back but his cap is too big (even at 5). I'd rather go into next year with Fehr/Sundqvist as the 3/4C than overpay Bonino/trade for Staal.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He always talks us up every post game interview. I think he regrets leaving. Maybe in a few years if Carolina relocates or struggles financially.

He's still a man beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad