Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno is in God Mode

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
is there any chance he gets some starts with the big boys next season?

There's potential I'm sure. They may want to see what he can do. If he keeps doing this, in camp they may let him play a bunch, and if he does well he can take the backup job.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know what game people are watching but I thought Letang was fantastic. Easily are most irreplaceable skater. The shorty was partly on him but partly on Poliot? spelling, who tried to make something happen instead of just backpedaling.

The amount of easy breakouts the pens get because Letang is awesome is scary.

Also, when Crosby decides to give a **** let me know.....

Well... The shorty was on him. He missed the net from the half wall on the 5 minute PP effectively clearing the puck. He lost his mind on the PK and started rushing the puck for no reason. He must've iced the puck 4 times, mostly while under no duress.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Adams wasn't scratched because he lost his roster spot. 99% sure he probably had a family emergency or Johnston's just playing around with lines. I'll break something if a clown like Downie steals his spot, good thing I won't need to

I just love the clown reference. Makes me think of... well nevermind.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Looks like Geno has finally awakened from his Bylsma coma. I love it.

He has been leading by example too. His backchecking and 2 way play has been miles better lately.

Let's hope it is contagious

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Pouliot has really come a long way, I'm in total agreement that we should just run with him in the playoffs. He can cover for Scuds, or slide up if needed, and he's worlds better than Martin on the PP. I'm really impressed by this kid, he's the real deal.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh im not sold that we are 100% where we need to be but I think we are light years ahead of last season. I think the Crosby Perron Hornqvist line may give up some goals, but its also forcing teams to concentrate on them and opening up other lines a bit.

Motivated Kunitz can be Ok, the Defense has been top 10 and borderline top 5 all season, and fluery plays well when the defense does well in front of him. I still think the offense needs another piece, but there is enough there to say all four lines are at least potentially productive.

Penguinzilla*

+ Pouliot for finally seeming to feel comfortable enough to do what he does. He messed up a few times and gave up on some plays but who cares, he showed what's he capable of when he wants to do it.
+ Errey for saying "Slow-mo don't lie"
- Every time someone passes the puck to Scuderi at the point and he just does a Orpik-no-one-in-front-of-the-net wrister to the net
+ Depres for checking the dude from behind - forgot the details
+ Malkin
- 5 minute PP. That was horrible. That's what can lose playoffs series. They didn't shoot at all, it was a mess.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
with the difference in height between the two , im surprised. unless geno is playing with a shorter stick then usual

It might be taking a page from Sid's book, shorter stick, not as curved. Sort of like Duchene when he copied Crosby's stick length.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm not looking past this season, just because the East is so open, but next season is when all of these moves will really pay off. We just need to convince a few bottom 6 guys to stick around (Winnik, Comeau, Lapierre) and with Maatta back, Bennett and Despres more experienced, Perron completely comfortable PLUS everyone having a year in the system we'll be ready for a couple years of solid runs at the cup.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I liked Mike Johnston's view of the bottom 6.

"It's hard to designate 3rd and 4th lines right now. We've got a lot depth in our lineup, and for me, Lapierre's line, Sutter's line, those lines are interchangeable."

Hopefully they don't ruin it by sticking Adams back in there but I won't hold my breath. We can't have nice things in the bottom 6 for very long. I think the organization has a policy on that.

fcfury

Feb 8, 2010
Besides the goal the 3rd line scored, I thought they were terrible, Sutter pretty much kills anything when he gets the puck on his stick

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Everything people spend page after page talking about (trade deadline, line combos, Bennett, Adams, Winnik, Malkin) is going to be irrelevant in the playoffs if Sid doesn't start playing significantly better.

We were fine in SC 2009 finals with Sid playing averagely but it's true he needs to play better if we want to at least reach the finals again.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We were fine in SC 2009 finals with Sid playing averagely but it's true he needs to play better if we want to at least reach the finals again.

Sid was playing fine in the '09 Finals. He was just drawing the best defenseman and best shutdown center of his generation every time he hopped over the boards.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I liked Mike Johnston's view of the bottom 6.

"It's hard to designate 3rd and 4th lines right now. We've got a lot depth in our lineup, and for me, Lapierre's line, Sutter's line, those lines are interchangeable."

Hopefully they don't ruin it by sticking Adams back in there but I won't hold my breath. We can't have nice things in the bottom 6 for very long. I think the organization has a policy on that.

I liked that answer too, but the question was about Beau specifically and I don't think he ever singled Beau's game out. Just said that Beau can score. But I still loved that answer.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Hate the pacifistic response to the Tropp hit, otherwise we dominated an inferior team. .

Isn't it safe to say that's who we are at this point?

To me, it's like some fans and our organization want to wish the dirty, rough stuff away. Just play hockey, win on the scoreboard mentality.

Thing is, that game meant very little to either team yesterday. And what I saw was CBJ continually throwing borderline shots all game.

I get the weirdest vibe watching this Pens team, almost like they aren't really much of a team that cares for one another. And I still think this will be their downfall in a long nasty series come next month.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
I just wish this board would hold Geno to the same standards as Sid. Before MJ changed the top 6 4 games ago both Sid and Geno were bad but everybody only talked about Sid. Geno was invisible for like 7 straight games and everybody was pretty much excusing him because of his linemates. Meanwhile Sid was being crucified and people were talking about how linemates are no excuse. It's a blatant double standard.

I would hope so but not the way you think.
I mean, compare for example the number of "sid/ovie >> geno AINEC" or "Geno should be traded" posts/threads in this board with the reverse and then, you'll see what i mean.
That's why i'm rooting very hard for Geno to win his 3rd Art Ross this year, not only because he's been our best offensive player but because i think (or hope?) that if he does that then people will think twice before not putting him into the same stratosphere as Sid/Ovie.

Last edited:

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Sid was playing fine in the '09 Finals. He was just drawing the best defenseman and best shutdown center of his generation every time he hopped over the boards.

No he wasn't.
You can say he was shadowed by Zetterberg, Lidstrom or whoever you want but the fact remains he was average.
Oh and if i remember well, that didn't stop him to produce the year before against those same opponents.
The best player in the game should produce in SC finals, no matter who is facing.
You can't for example say that Geno was average against the Caps in those same POs (many there in this board say that) and then say Sid played fine against Detroit.

Last edited:

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014

Technicaly it was more like 2 shifts of Zetterberg, Cleary, Lidstrom and 1 shift of Hossa, Kronwall, Stuart. Malkin has seen the same units but the ratios were switched.

I know it was a hyperbole, just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad