Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno dusts off the old g-mode and puts on a 3rd period show

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
What an ugly game. Could have been holding and interference every shift.

Great game by dumo. Letang continues to put up goals.

Where does bjustad fit in?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Were out in round 1 even if we get there.

Our D is 2012 Vs Philly bad.

I don't understand what Sully has these guys doing but this D is as bad as anything I've seen in the post lockout era.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ Dumoulin. I actually got fired up on that play in the second where he blocked a pass and then dove headfirst to block a shot. That's wanting to win. And then to follow it up with the goal? So deserved. Dumo is my #1 star

+ Crosby/Malkin. Malkin in the third once he got good linemates was lights out. @KIRK guess he just needed an actual LW lol. Crosby was...I thought honestly only ok throughout the game, but he did get three assists or whatever so he's a plus. He found a way to contribute even when I thought he wasn't at his best.

+ CDS. Gave up 5, but he made some big saves too.

+ ZAR. If you got Geno going, then the team owes you a lot.

+ Petts. Petts was fantastic. For some reason he was forechecking on the Dumo goal lol but he made a great play to get it to Sid who got it to Dumo. And I thought Petts was strong all game even aside from that play plus the PPG.

+ Letang. #58 has been so good all season. Not much else to say.

+ Bjugstad. Huge play on the Petts PPG. Bjugstad belongs nowhere near Malkin's line though.

= JJ. I honestly thought JJ was OK this game. But the bar isn't high for him. He made a few nice shots from the point though and didn't look totally lost in the d-zone. At least not as much as he usually is.

- Kessel. Come on guy. We need you. I can get being bad at even strength since well sometimes he just is but he is bobbling pucks like crazy on the PP too. He's in a huge slump. We need him to wake up. He can carry when he's feeling it.

- Sullivan. Stop trying to force Kessel on LW just to accommodate Bjugstad. Just be smart and play lines that make sense. Don't play guys out of position. If that means Bjugstad or Hornqvist goes to l4 then so be it.

- Simon. He was awful, and it's disappointing because he was so strong earlier in the season. But he's young, and that happens. He'll find it again.

One thing I would caution about ZAR-Geno-Phil.

The Rangers suck.

I'll say the same thing I said after people here were dropping their drawers over Rust-Bjugs-Kessel after 1 game against a crap Ottawa team.

Let's see what happens against good teams.

That said, IF ZAR can win puck battles and otherwise muck it up until Geno arrives, like he did today, when the Pens do play those good teams, then three things will happen:

1. We'll get good to god mode Geno.
2. The line will work.
3. Geno will make ZAR a lot of money (see Malone, Ryan).

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
My friends kid was the goalie they showed on tv that got some screen time and stood next to Desmith. I told him to tell Desmith Pierre sucks.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Can't for the life of me look at this team and believe they can win anything. Group think Sid solves most issues is no longer the case. Lat two years just bad roster decisions in total. Pens give out contracts that very few do. Horny term was to long. JJ same as well. Where is the standard here? If Kessel brings two cups so be it. You move him after the fact. Understand the decision making on MAF but giving up a number 2 as well???? Well you live with the consequences but this game was all about want to from the get go. Just can't play 60 minutes let alone a playoff series. Playoffs are not a given and Rangers with half the team in trade talks showed up.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Can't for the life of me look at this team and believe they can win anything. Group think Sid solves most issues is no longer the case. Lat two years just bad roster decisions in total. Pens give out contracts that very few do. Horny term was to long. JJ same as well. Where is the standard here? If Kessel brings two cups so be it. You move him after the fact. Understand the decision making on MAF but giving up a number 2 as well???? Well you live with the consequences but this game was all about want to from the get go. Just can't play 60 minutes let alone a playoff series. Playoffs are not a given and Rangers with half the team in trade talks showed up.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The neutral zone/defensive zone 5 man unit is pathetic. Zero layers of defense. Constant wide open players. Constant free passes while we watch and stare into the passes.

Like I said - i'd fire whoever runs the defense immediately and i'd look for outside help. It's the one thing that can save the season. Fix the neutral/d-zone and we are cup contenders. Everything else will play out.

I don't know if it's a coaching issue. I think it's a player issue. I doubt Martin or whoever runs our defensive schemes is telling the players to be this cavalier with their coverage.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
One thing I would caution about ZAR-Geno-Phil.

The Rangers suck.

I'll say the same thing I said after people here were dropping their drawers over Rust-Bjugs-Kessel after 1 game against a crap Ottawa team.

Let's see what happens against good teams.

That said, IF ZAR can win puck battles and otherwise muck it up until Geno arrives, like he did today, when the Pens do play those good teams, then three things will happen:

1. We'll get good to god mode Geno.
2. The line will work.
3. Geno will make ZAR a lot of money (see Malone, Ryan).

I agree, I just think Sullivan needs to just play lines that make sense though. Don't play guys out of position. It's fine to have Hornqvist or Bjugstad on line 4. We don't need to force them into top six or top nine positions if it means playing them or Kessel where they aren't comfortable.

We'll do much better if we stick to that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It would suggest to me that we're kinda in a pickle.

They need a backup plan in case the ZAR on L2 experiment doesn't pan out. I think JR is looking for one.

They still need help on defense, whether or not Maatta returns. I've heard mixed messages on this one.

Reactions: Ryder71

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Is Maatta done for the year?

If not, Maatta-Riikola would make an excellent 3rd pair.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The neutral zone/defensive zone 5 man unit is pathetic. Zero layers of defense. Constant wide open players. Constant free passes while we watch and stare into the passes.

Like I said - i'd fire whoever runs the defense immediately and i'd look for outside help. It's the one thing that can save the season. Fix the neutral/d-zone and we are cup contenders. Everything else will play out.
Jacques Martin runs the D. He draws up their strategies and does the video tutorials. Gonchar has input but mostly talks to players 1 on 1.

Couldn't agree more. A new voice is needed. We have more than enough proof of that. It's not gonna happen though. At least not this season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree, I just think Sullivan needs to just play lines that make sense though. Don't play guys out of position. It's fine to have Hornqvist or Bjugstad on line 4. We don't need to force them into top six or top nine positions if it means playing them or Kessel where they aren't comfortable.

We'll do much better if we stick to that.

IF we're not putting Rust on the LW, then honestly ZAR on L2 LW is the only option left.

Hopefully, it works . . . or JR wakes up from his nap . . .

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think Simon is an NHL player but an nhl player on a bad team. He has zero sense of urgency and for all of his talents, he loses battles to hard work. He doesn't deserve a sweater over Wilson let alone anyone else. Put him in Arizona and he will weirdly get 35 points and look good on the stat sheet.

Put him in a playoff game and watch him fail at trying to be creative when simplicity is needed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Simon is an NHL player but an nhl player on a bad team. He has zero sense of urgency and for all of his talents, he loses battles to hard work. He doesn't deserve a sweater over Wilson let alone anyone else. Put him in Arizona and he will weirdly get 35 points and look good on the stat sheet.

Put him in a playoff game and watch him fail at trying to be creative when simplicity is needed.

I think he's a guy who I could see JR moving in a deal for a L2 LW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You think so? Would be interesting to see who gets put in for him Pearson or Wilson.

Just posted . . . I think Wilson.

MAYBE Pearson gets in for Simon.

EDIT: Just spitballing . . . I wonder if JR tries to move Pearson and Simon in a deal for a L2 LW (if Plan ZAR doesn't work out). You get Pearson's semi inflated contract with as @ColePens said a nice young player FOR A BAD TEAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad