Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno dusts off the old g-mode and puts on a 3rd period show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not roster related. Sure... it can help things a tad bit. It's like putting tape over 1 hole but having 4 more. Water won't leak AS fast, but it will still leak.

It's getting 5 men to play together, layers of defense, and understanding how to be a 5 man defensive unit.

I mean I agree, but they can still set up their lines in the best way to make me feel more comfortable about their chances.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
++++ Geno and Sid both had strong showings

++++PK at the beginning of the 3rd

------ D zone coverage an adventure

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Jusso in for JJ and this team is alot better.

The overall D is still gonna be a mess. It isn't just JJ who's messing up. Its the forwards and the miscues by other D aswell.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What does it say about Jim Rutherford that the best 'available' LW for L2 is ZAR?

Reactions: Lustaf

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Acquiring a top-4 D isnt gonna do much to fix the team. Theres still no commitment to defend from the whole team. The amount of times we've given up chances in the slot and odd man rushes is kind of insane. This a systems/ buying in problem first and foremost.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Lots of encouraging signs with this team, but also lots of discouraging signs.

+ Geno Hes finally looking good again

+ The urgency they showed in the 3rd period again was nice to see

- team defense I mean the last 4 mins the NYR were getting grade A chance after Grade A chance.

- Horny He just looks awful right now, that 3rd goal against he some how falls down right in the slot and gives the NYR a grade A chance.

- Simon He needs to go back up to the press box.

Reactions: ColePens and Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
+ Dumoulin. I actually got fired up on that play in the second where he blocked a pass and then dove headfirst to block a shot. That's wanting to win. And then to follow it up with the goal? So deserved. Dumo is my #1 star

+ Crosby/Malkin. Malkin in the third once he got good linemates was lights out. @KIRK guess he just needed an actual LW lol. Crosby was...I thought honestly only ok throughout the game, but he did get three assists or whatever so he's a plus. He found a way to contribute even when I thought he wasn't at his best.

+ CDS. Gave up 5, but he made some big saves too.

+ ZAR. If you got Geno going, then the team owes you a lot.

+ Petts. Petts was fantastic. For some reason he was forechecking on the Dumo goal lol but he made a great play to get it to Sid who got it to Dumo. And I thought Petts was strong all game even aside from that play plus the PPG.

+ Letang. #58 has been so good all season. Not much else to say.

+ Bjugstad. Huge play on the Petts PPG. Bjugstad belongs nowhere near Malkin's line though.

= JJ. I honestly thought JJ was OK this game. But the bar isn't high for him. He made a few nice shots from the point though and didn't look totally lost in the d-zone. At least not as much as he usually is.

- Kessel. Come on guy. We need you. I can get being bad at even strength since well sometimes he just is but he is bobbling pucks like crazy on the PP too. He's in a huge slump. We need him to wake up. He can carry when he's feeling it.

- Sullivan. Stop trying to force Kessel on LW just to accommodate Bjugstad. Just be smart and play lines that make sense. Don't play guys out of position. If that means Bjugstad or Hornqvist goes to l4 then so be it.

- Simon. He was awful, and it's disappointing because he was so strong earlier in the season. But he's young, and that happens. He'll find it again.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can’t really blame anyone for the last goal. The Rangers did such a good job of puck possession and just wore down the entire D. They were so tired by the end of it.

Lucky bounce and good shot. Not really anything you can do.

They had control too long for not trying to stop it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz

Looks solid to me as a top 4.

Maybe even swap Dumo and Petts to provide depth. Schultz and Dumo have always looked good. Petts and Letang looked solid aswell.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
++++++++ DeSmith. The numbers might say otherwise but he was awesome.

++++Malkin scoring again and looking great is huge.

+ ZAR for being the third wheel Geno needed to get going.

+ Sid for two nice assists.

------ We passed the gut check but this defense is an abomination. Fire Martin now, whatever he is doing has been figured out. The personnel isn't great but can do a lot better than this.

- Horny. I love the guy but he looks five years older after his return from injury.

- PP1 still being too cute.

- Simon. He can't even control the puck properly nowadays.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
ZAR-Malkin-Kessel
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Blueger-Cullen-Pearson/ZAR/Simon

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Riikola

This is what I'd run with rn.

Status