Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno dusts off the old g-mode and puts on a 3rd period show

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
++++++ Stars in the 3rd period were out of this world. We kill a penalty and they never look back. Wave after wave of Geno/Sid just putting on a show. Way to come alive and make it happen.

+++ DeSmith: 4 goals against and he still has to make 10 grade a saves because this defense is so f***ing bad.

+ Adjustments ZAR to Geno's line and the florida boys with Horny worked in the 3rd period. It may not save the season, but it saved today.

--------- 5 man defensive unit. BRUTAL again. How people even think our goalies have a chance is ridiculous. It's grade a chance after chance after chance. The fact they are only giving up 4 is a miracle.

In-zone defense is a hot mess. It's Bylsma level bad. Tons of standing around and cutting off half the ice gives nothing. They need huge in-zone defensive adjustments. I'd fire whoever is in charge of creating the d-zone coverages. Immediately. And i'd go get a coach who can help build that defense back up. The 5 man in-zone defensive group is horrific.

If we do not find a way to fix the 5 man defensive group from the red line to our d-zone, we aren't making it into the playoffs or past the first round. It needs significant help.

-- Consistency: Copy/paste from yesterday. When this team wants it, they control the game. When they give half ass attempts, they get beat. The Pens control that.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
++ Our stars

--- Our bottom six....if you're not gonna score then don't give up goals against.

P.S. we're still horrendous at defending. Rikola needs to be in, he's deserved it.

Reactions: canadianguy77

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The neutral zone/defensive zone 5 man unit is pathetic. Zero layers of defense. Constant wide open players. Constant free passes while we watch and stare into the passes.

Like I said - i'd fire whoever runs the defense immediately and i'd look for outside help. It's the one thing that can save the season. Fix the neutral/d-zone and we are cup contenders. Everything else will play out.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Can’t really blame anyone for the last goal. The Rangers did such a good job of puck possession and just wore down the entire D. They were so tired by the end of it.

Lucky bounce and good shot. Not really anything you can do.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Put Riikola back in over Ruhwedel, keep ZAR with Malkin and make the 2nd pair Pettersson-Schultz. I'd like this team's chances a lot more with those moves.

It's not roster related. Sure... it can help things a tad bit. It's like putting tape over 1 hole but having 4 more. Water won't leak AS fast, but it will still leak.

It's getting 5 men to play together, layers of defense, and understanding how to be a 5 man defensive unit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
+ we got two points and that’s all that matters at this point
+ we are temporarily back in PO position

- we have our personal Satan coming up in NJD...sure loss and unfortunately we’ll likely be back in 9th spot after that game...

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
giphy.gif

Great back to back games by Geno. Pettersson played great today, and it's a amazing what a player can do when your not playing with Johnson. Still too many shots and goals against but the pens back in the wild card spot. Now go and beat the devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad