Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 1

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Fast and marginally talented is always better than slow and talentless (cough Kunitz cough).

Who knows maybe Megna's learned a thing or two out in WBS since we last saw him? He did pot 22 goals this year there. We know that Winnik has the wrong skillset for the Top 6, Kunitz is too slow to keep up, and Comeau's been a big question mark who's better suited to the 3rd line at this point. As much as the staff doesn't like Bennett, at least he's still got wheels, so try him in the Top 6.

One other crazy idea-try 1.5 shifting Perron and Hornquist rotating on Crosby and Malkin at center. I wouldn't do it for the rest of the series, but on the road it's probably worth a try to beat matchups.

I'd just like to see Johnston mix it up a little period. Want to keep Horny with Sid . . . okay, I get that. But, there's no reason to be playing Malkin with regular linemates. Rotate things early, get a feel for who the hot hand is, and then gravitate towards it as you get to the second period. Same thing for Sid and Horny and the LW. Maybe one night Winnik has it. Maybe another it's Beau. Maybe another it's Downie. Maybe one night it's Perron. Whatever . . . point is, this team has too little top six talent to be married to the idea of permanent lines. I'd like to see a lot more Therrien and a lot less Bylsma when it comes to Johnston's approach to in game bench management. I won't, because he's content to out Bylsma Bylsma when it comes to being clueless as a bench boss, but it's nice every now and then to hope otherwise.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I'd just like to see Johnston mix it up a little period. Want to keep Horny with Sid . . . okay, I get that. But, there's no reason to be playing Malkin with regular linemates. Rotate things early, get a feel for who the hot hand is, and then gravitate towards it as you get to the second period. Same thing for Sid and Horny and the LW. Maybe one night Winnik has it. Maybe another it's Beau. Maybe another it's Downie. Maybe one night it's Perron. Whatever . . . point is, this team has too little top six talent to be married to the idea of permanent lines. I'd like to see a lot more Therrien and a lot less Bylsma when it comes to Johnston's approach to in game bench management. I won't, because he's content to out Bylsma Bylsma when it comes to being clueless as a bench boss, but it's nice every now and then to hope otherwise.

He was doing that somewhat. Comeau was pushed up when he was playing well. Beau had some top 6 shift (not enough though). Kunitz needs to be able to be put in the bottom 6 though if other guys are playing well. Some more Geno/Sid shifts would be nice too. I think it happened once last game.

Might be time to put Perron back with Sid. Malkin with Bennett and Comeau (or as you mentioned whoever has the hot hand).

Just need to get over this Kunitz top 6 thing.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

I think you're asking too much of Johnston ;)

LaughAtMyPain

'91 '92 '09 '16 '17
Oct 26, 2013
He was doing that somewhat. Comeau was pushed up when he was playing well. Beau had some top 6 shift (not enough though). Kunitz needs to be able to be put in the bottom 6 though if other guys are playing well. Some more Geno/Sid shifts would be nice too. I think it happened once last game.

Might be time to put Perron back with Sid. Malkin with Bennett and Comeau (or as you mentioned whoever has the hot hand).

Just need to get over this Kunitz top 6 thing.

Yeah, 71 & 87 were only out there once, and it was with Sutter for some mega-center line. Geno turned the puck over at our blue line, so naturally the idea was deemed a failure, and they didn't go back to that pairing.

The point that you and every other Pens fan is making still stands; Johnston HAS TO not only be willing to make these necessary in-game adjustments, but follow them through, regardless of it is a popular opinion.

We all knew that, as currently constructed, beating the Rangers in any game would be a Herculean task, but as the head coach, MJ needs to be much, MUCH better at being the bench boss.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
Yeah, 71 & 87 were only out there once, and it was with Sutter for some mega-center line. Geno turned the puck over at our blue line, so naturally the idea was deemed a failure, and they didn't go back to that pairing.

The point that you and every other Pens fan is making still stands; Johnston HAS TO not only be willing to make these necessary in-game adjustments, but follow them through, regardless of it is a popular opinion.

We all knew that, as currently constructed, beating the Rangers in any game would be a Herculean task, but as the head coach, MJ needs to be much, MUCH better at being the bench boss.
Well he did use our ace card, that is, putting Kunitz back with Sid. Still can' believe that didn't work out.

Sid and Geno need to step up and rise to the occasion. For once, we have a fourth line that plays well, Fleury is outstanding, and it's a 1-2 game for 35 minutes. Sure, Scuderi and his friends can't get the puck to Sid, and Winnik can't finish, but still. It's not all on Scuderi/Lovejoy/Winnik/Kunitz. Last year Sid played with a declining Kunitz, Brian Gibbons and a bad wrist.

Last edited:

LaughAtMyPain

'91 '92 '09 '16 '17
Oct 26, 2013
Well he did use our ace card, that is, putting Kunitz back with Sid. Still can' believe that didn't work out.

Sid and Geno need to step up and rise to the occasion. For once, we have a fourth line that plays well, Fleury is outstanding, and it's a 1-2 game for 35 minutes. Sure, Scuderi and his friends can't get the puck to Sid, and Winnik can't finish, but still. It's not all on Scuderi/Lovejoy/Winnik/Kunitz. Last year Sid played with a declining Kunitz, Brian Gibbons and a bad wrist.

I definitely agree with all that you have stated. Both Malkin & Crosby can and should do alot more, namely score. I thought that as game went along, Geno started to look more like "beast mode Geno", and hopefully, that starts to put goals in our column. Yeah, he's dinged up, but the effort was noticeable as the game progressed.

As for Sid, hell I don't know what to about his game other than "suck it up". The Penguins as a whole are just plain bad. It is what it is, and this team is not going to get any better until the off season (wishful thinking, I know). However, our captain should be at the helm, sinking with the ship, or trying his best to keep it afloat.

Either way, Sid needs to set the example.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Malkin has every offensive opportunity because he's used as an offensive player.

Crosby isn't allowed to be the best player in the world because he's always used as a lure. So he gets time with a good play in Hornqvist and very little else.

It blows my freaking mind that he finished game 7 with Gibbons on his line last year.... an now he has Dan Winnik. **** the Penguins already. I have never seen such mismanagement of a superstar.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Also, what in the **** was up with MJ's hair? Whoever the **** cut that man's hair needs to be fired immediately. He looked like a dude who let his toddler cut his hair. :laugh:

I guess it's appropriate though. Now the look matches what's underneath the hair.

Mike Johnson's flow is just about the only thing going right in the Penguins organization at the moment. Great head coach look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad