Confirmed with Link: Cole to PIT for Bortuzzo & 7th

Captain America*

That's so true. I wish somebody had been able to articulate the value of Stewart as well as you. Too bad I think you and me are the only people here who would want Stewart on this team.

Reaves, Backes, Tarasenko, Shattenkirk, Stastny and a few other Blues would agree too.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I mean on HF boards

Jaskin made Stewart expendable, look at their salaries. I would have liked to see Stewart reunited with Stastny too, but a 3rd line of Bergy-Stew-Stastny would be $15m against the cap. Its not like Stewart is outproducing even Berglund by much this year.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Jaskin made Stewart expendable, look at their salaries. I would have liked to see Stewart reunited with Stastny too, but a 3rd line of Bergy-Stew-Stastny would be $15m against the cap. Its not like Stewart is outproducing even Berglund by much this year.

I'm being sarcastic

Captain America*

Good post Erb.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
There were people that think Stewart was a good option though. I guess the memory is short. People forget that Chris Stewart takes about 2 out of every three games off then comes with a strong push for about 2 periods in the next game. Or that he is a allergic to back checking except for those two periods in every third game. I guess the thought is he is well liked amongst Blues player therefore he will be good on the ice too. Chris Stewart is a drinking buddy and a protector for some Blues players so by all means bring him back and just forget that he can't play. Buffalo has been trying to trade this guy since a week after they acquired him. Minnesota had an awful deadline if you ask me and i don't doubt they end up out of the playoffs this year at all. Bubble about to burst there fellas and not b/c of Stewart either. You heard it here first.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There were people that think Stewart was a good option though. I guess the memory is short. People forget that Chris Stewart takes about 2 out of every three games off then comes with a strong push for about 2 periods in the next game. Or that he is a allergic to back checking except for those two periods in every third game. I guess the thought is he is well liked amongst Blues player therefore he will be good on the ice too. Chris Stewart is a drinking buddy and a protector for some Blues players so by all means bring him back and just forget that he can't play. Buffalo has been trying to trade this guy since a week after they acquired him. Minnesota had an awful deadline if you ask me and i don't doubt they end up out of the playoffs this year at all. Bubble about to burst there fellas and not b/c of Stewart either. You heard it here first.

I agree with most of what you said, except that Minnesota is not going to drop out of the playoffs. They were better than their record early in the year. There's no team out there that is going to knock them out. San Jose? Calgary?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like we have every thread one man mission, Stewart this Stewart that. Get over it.

Point on thread, Bortuzzo showed some gritty style yesterday and I think Jackman - Bortuzzo, did just fine. I was bit afraid how slow + slow totals d-zone. Ofc hard to say nothing special for 1 game, but I'm fine with Bortuzzo. Borttuzzo needs more look so I can see those flaws what Pens 'writers' have said about him.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Looks like we have every thread one man mission, Stewart this Stewart that. Get over it.

Point on thread, Bortuzzo showed some gritty style yesterday and I think Jackman - Bortuzzo, did just fine. I was bit afraid how slow + slow totals d-zone. Ofc hard to say nothing special for 1 game, but I'm fine with Bortuzzo. Borttuzzo needs more look so I can see those flaws what Pens 'writers' have said about him.

Its really just one incessant poster, and a few exasperated respondents. I was hoping after the trade deadline it would stop, but it hasn't. You also left out Salvador.

In response to your point, Bortuzzo was fine. I liked the lick he laid on Giroux. He wasn't the reason the Blues lost the game, although he was fortunate not get called for that little cross-check after the whistle. If I'd been the ref, I'd have call it and also given 2 for embellishment.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I have to say, with each game played I am liking this deal more and more. It is a small sample size but he really does add a dimension this team has been lacking.

I agree. I was worried a little about Bortuzzo's mobility and passing and ability to help (or, at least not hinder) the offensive breakout. But he has looked very good, and I like the feistiness he's added. Now, he and Reaves are enough to perhaps deter opponent thugs from beating on our skilled players.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I have to say, with each game played I am liking this deal more and more. It is a small sample size but he really does add a dimension this team has been lacking.

Agree. I always get slammed when I mention this team needs to get tougher, especially on the blue line. I said something recently that our 3 pairings couldn't beat their way out of a wet paper bag. Lindbohm and Bortuzzo really help that aspect.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well the idea we were given about Bortuzzo was that he was a defensively horrible player. I'm 100% on board with physical guys that still play hockey. Lindbhom is just a gem, he's good in all 3 zones and is mean. Bortuzzo....jury is still out, but so far so good. Most were against the idea of bringing in another Jackman

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I've not been as impressed with Bortuzzo as many here seem to be, but I'm probably focusing on and valuing different things than many others. I think he's struggled with his positioning, taken some unnecessary risks that others have covered up for, and his ability to move the puck up the ice (whether by himself, or via a vertical pass) is sub-par.

I think there's a good chance that better teams than the last two we've played are going to find ways to exploit his flaws, and once they do I think the shiny new toy feel will wear off a bit.

That said, he's serviceable enough as a depth guy and having the right partner could mitigate some of his flaws and let him play a bigger role than maybe his talent alone warrants. I don't think Jackman is that guy, or Lindbohm either for that matter...at least not yet.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I've not been as impressed with Bortuzzo as many here seem to be, but I'm probably focusing on and valuing different things than many others. I think he's struggled with his positioning, taken some unnecessary risks that others have covered up for, and his ability to move the puck up the ice (whether by himself, or via a vertical pass) is sub-par.

I think there's a good chance that better teams than the last two we've played are going to find ways to exploit his flaws, and once they do I think the shiny new toy feel will wear off a bit.

That said, he's serviceable enough as a depth guy and having the right partner could mitigate some of his flaws and let him play a bigger role than maybe his talent alone warrants. I don't think Jackman is that guy, or Lindbohm either for that matter...at least not yet.

Yes. Most of us expected him to be below average at positioning, mobility and getting the puck up ice (skating or passing). I only mentioned that I felt a little bettewr about his trade for Cole than I had before, as he wasn't as bad at any of those things than I had expected, based on what I'd seen of him while with The O\Pens. Clearly, he shouldn't be paired with ackman, and probably not Butler (despite Butler's ability to skate the puck up ice). I think that Lindbohm with him would be okay. But, I hope everyone gets healthy soon, and he's just used in sheltered minutes and spot-played.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

I agree with all of what you say. I am one of the "Blues need to get tougher" guys but i still hate giving up Cole for Bortuzzo. I admit he has been better than expected, especially his skating. Guy has good wheels for a big defense man. If he instills a little fear around our crease and uses that big body to punish forwards then he should be an asset in the playoffs. I just have my doubts he can keep it up. I do really like having a guy with some edge but he has to be able to keep up. I fear the longer he goes the more he will be exposed but once we have Shatty and Z on the ice he could be a nice compliment player when things get rough. I notice we have three games left each with the Jets and the Wild, two desperate teams that can bring the lumber so maybe Bobby Bertuzzo was brought in with that in mind? The 4 guys they added before the deadline are all physical players that can play that style even if three of them are just fringe players. I liked our deadline for what was out there actually. We gave up only Cole and kept our best prospects while adding grit for the stretch run.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Cole was done in Stl. With Michalek coming in and Lindbohm clearing out playing Cole, he was on the outside looking in..... this isn't really a case if we gave up Cole for Bortuzzo. Army did Cole a solid. He was worth what he was worth.

As far as Bortuzzo getting exposed....he's a bottom pairing dman. He's not suppose to face top competition, so if he's out there against elite players, that's on hitch.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Cole was done in Stl. With Michalek coming in and Lindbohm clearing out playing Cole, he was on the outside looking in..... this isn't really a case if we gave up Cole for Bortuzzo. Army did Cole a solid. He was worth what he was worth.

As far as Bortuzzo getting exposed....he's a bottom pairing dman. He's not suppose to face top competition, so if he's out there against elite players, that's on hitch.
You can only shelter a guy so much, even if you have last change.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

I don't think Lindbohlm outplayed Cole at all. He is just the shiny new toy that fans are enamored with at the moment. I get it b/c the kid hasn't looked scared at all and plays above his tenure would lead you to believe. To me that is where Cole really lacked. Confidence, not just giving up respect. I agree with those that have said he was never the same after the suspension. He just lost his edge here and this young guy comes in and HE has edge. I can see how it can be confusing but he did not outplay Ian Cole. They did do Cole a solid though b/c he just was never Hitch's cup of tea. I do feel better about the whole thing knowing they were not going to bring Cole back anyways. I admit i was pissed at first but now it doesn't look as bad in hindsight. It killed me knowing Pitt shipped off Deperes for Lovejoy thinking Cole would have been a better match for SD but i now think the Blues prefered Bobby anyways b/c he fills a void. Deperes would just be another young guy that has yet to live up to his billing like Cole and maybe that is not what we needed for the play off push.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Cole was 2007 #18 pick and now he is 26 years old. Clear bust. I don't see him coming later boomer like Boychuk, but there is always that potential like Berglund. :sarcasm:

I think coaching stuff and Army did clear choice. Lindbohm ahead of Cole and Bortuzzo brings more physicality then Cole and he's RHD.

I love how we debt on d-core now. If Michalek cannot be that man we can always bring Bortuzzo, Butler and Lindbohm in 3rd pair.

Lindbohm is so overrated :bb:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Cole has played almost 170 games in the NHL, and will play many, many more.

Whatever he is or isn't to the fans here, he's certainly not a "bust". The majority of players drafted in his range never hit 200 games played in their careers.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Cole has played almost 170 games in the NHL, and will play many, many more.

Whatever he is or isn't to the fans here, he's certainly not a "bust". The majority of players drafted in his range never hit 200 games played in their careers.

I agree with this. Cole isn't a bust. Along with the notion of shiny new toys, realize that many Blues weaknesses are exploited as we have been in the playoffs the past several years. Clog the front of the goal. The amazing Petro might get his stick in the way. Now all of the sudden you have a Lindbohm and Bortuzzo that may actually move somebody come playoff time. So hopefully this new bag of tricks WILL offset the problems we have had in the playoffs the last several years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think Lindbohlm outplayed Cole at all. He is just the shiny new toy that fans are enamored with at the moment. I get it b/c the kid hasn't looked scared at all and plays above his tenure would lead you to believe. To me that is where Cole really lacked. Confidence, not just giving up respect. I agree with those that have said he was never the same after the suspension. He just lost his edge here and this young guy comes in and HE has edge. I can see how it can be confusing but he did not outplay Ian Cole. They did do Cole a solid though b/c he just was never Hitch's cup of tea. I do feel better about the whole thing knowing they were not going to bring Cole back anyways. I admit i was pissed at first but now it doesn't look as bad in hindsight. It killed me knowing Pitt shipped off Deperes for Lovejoy thinking Cole would have been a better match for SD but i now think the Blues prefered Bobby anyways b/c he fills a void. Deperes would just be another young guy that has yet to live up to his billing like Cole and maybe that is not what we needed for the play off push.
"Shiny new toy" is getting played out pretty quickly. Cole was watching Lindbohm pass him in TOI towards the TDL while they played together. So I'd say Hitch was seeing something better in Lindbohm. This year was Cole's chance. He was given 1st and 2nd pairing opportunities and he never could stick, he was sat in favor of Butler several times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad