Player Discussion Cole McWard

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
For me, does McWard need to improve? Yes.

Does he have the upside to improve? Yes.

Would he be best served in the minors, getting top pairing minutes, unsheltered in all situations to polish his game? Probably.

Are we risking his development keeping him up, potentially damaging his confidence if things don't work out and preventing him from being put in situations just to get sets and reps in? Maybe.

Is he better than any other option other than Hronek and Myers on the right side? For a RHD, yes, otherwise, mehp, in isolation Soucy or Cole would be better on Hughes wing, but in aggregate having Cole with Hronek looks good right now and Soucy stabilizing Myers suddenly makes 2/3 of our defence look halfway decent, so the temptation to keep McWard up if he can handle it is understandable.

Reactions: Jay26

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't see how keeping McWard in Vancouver to start the season, would 'hurt' his development. Even he proves 'not to be ready', they can always either drop him down the lineup or farm him out.

If nothing else, he'll quickly learn what it takes to be an everyday d-man in the NHL. Canucks have so few quality, right-shot defenders, that he'd be recalled eventually anyway. So I see a year where he possibly goes up and down numerous times.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I get the arguments that Myers needs the help but should we be building our defense around supporting Myers over supporting Hughes? If Hughes has to make up for McWard more than he would with Soucy or Cole I'm for giving him one of those 2. That said he's the captain and if he's getting McWard there's probably some mutual decision making.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
the easiest decision is to give McWard nine or 10 games in the NHL.....and if he falters, then farm him out. But who knows?

There's always a chance that what we're seeing right now isn't a mirage, and he becomes one of the few guys who sticks in the NHL right out of college.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I suspect that the Canucks have decided that McWard is a better choice at RD than Juulsen, but think if they keep him up they're using the wrong criteria for choosing their team.

I'm high on him but really hope the Canucks send him down-if not for Game 1 then soon after. Keeping, for example, the 8th best defenceman ahead of the 9th best defenceman, if that is what the Canucks would think they're doing, makes very little difference to how the team will do in the short term and could potentially make a big difference in his usefulness in the long term.

McWard getting lots of playing time against professionals at a level at which he can be good could, if it went as well as people hope for, turn him into a useful, maybe even very competent, NHL RD. Maybe that's being overly hopeful but imo keeping a young player to play over his head instead when he's not too good to play at the next level down risks decreasing his confidence and increasing his confusion, even just making him a fraction of a second more hesitant for fear of mistake. It doesn't take much hesitation to be making decisions too slowly at the NHL level.

Some may think the risk small, but even if small it isn't one I think worth taking. I'm in favour of sending him down until he's pretty clearly ready. Keeping him could work but there's always that risk, which some consider small but others not so much, that it can hurt in the long run.

There's little to gain in the short term by keeping him up and even if the chance of loss isn't great, it isn't worth it. If he is dominant in the AHL he can always come back up.

Unlike some, I'm ok with him having been given the run this preseason, which for a young player can be good for him. The time has come, though, to give him time to get used to the pro pace while being a good AHL defenceman instead of a marginal (or potentially worse) NHL defenceman.

Those who think of Tanev should note that Tanev spent his first three seasons splitting time fairly evenly between the AHL and NHL.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I get the arguments that Myers needs the help but should we be building our defense around supporting Myers over supporting Hughes? If Hughes has to make up for McWard more than he would with Soucy or Cole I'm for giving him one of those 2. That said he's the captain and if he's getting McWard there's probably some mutual decision making.

Yeah. If you want 3 strong pairing this is what you do. If you’re worried about Myers you give him 16 minutes a night with Wolanin, and play the crap out of your top 4.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
There's zero harm in playing a young promising player with your best to see what you have; especially if you're trying to mold said player into that type of partner.

I mean, we have been atrocious at developing prospects, especially dmen, for over a decade. The fact they're using these freebie games to try something different --- great. Do it. Anything different is better than the previous scheme.

I find it funny there's posters that will demand young players get more playing time, and the very same posters strongly question young players getting more playing time. . It's the preseason, it's one tweak to a fairly established line up in the name of giving valuable insight into a role. Do it the entire preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad