Player Discussion Cole McWard

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Maybe my memory is a bit foggy but I recall him having terrible lateral movement last season, but I haven't noticed that at all so far.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Offensively he looks really good, but I was pretty impressed with his calmness and reads in our end too. Keep playing him beside Hughes and lets see where this goes.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe my memory is a bit foggy but I recall him having terrible lateral movement last season, but I haven't noticed that at all so far.

His skating looks noticeably better this year.

Last year, yeah, looked kind of stiff-hipped and ploddy, this year is much smoother, better edgework and footwork. Has been a 'whoa' thing for me since the first prospects game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's like picking up a d-man in the first round of the draft, except this guy came for free. Easily one of 'the stories' in training camp.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
If he can somehow play well with Hughes that would do wonders for our defense, although I don't want to get ahead of myself but he is definitely capable of being a top 4 dman if he continues to climb towards his potential.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'd still like to see more sustained high-level performances. He's looked very good starting with the prospect tournament so it may be he was worn down last season by the time he made it to the NHL. Small sample has made a fool out of so many of us.

If the opening night line-up was determined purely by how players performed in pre-season, then he deserves to make the team. The issue becomes do you really play him as Hughes partner and bump Soucy down to 3rd pairing with Myers?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Some of my thoughts on McWard starting in April last year agaisnt the Kings and through the summer
Cole McWard showed potential walking the line
That was good to see. heavy pressure no problemo

McWard with some McWheels. I like this McWard kid

i think Raty and McWard are gonna surprise some people this year.

Cole McWard - Really like the swagger and power in his game. Has a hard shot and is explosive. Hard to say how he will translate to pro decision making and containment but was really impressed with the potential and seemed unfazed by getting thrown to the wolves. Could be easier with nothing to lose but Clancey and Young give me confidence on their choices. Maybe a Whitecloud type signing for us down the road.

So good to see this development lets hope it continues because that woud be massive

Reactions: Grantham

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I assume Montalbano played a bit part in the Canucks offering McWard a contract.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I know it’s a low bar but it’s pretty wild that new management might have picked up a better D as an undrafted college free agent than Benning managed to do in his entire tenure. Including drafting one top 5 (Juolevi) and trading a high first rounder for one in OEL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know it’s a low bar but it’s pretty wild that new management might have picked up a better D as an undrafted college free agent than Benning managed to do in his entire tenure. Including drafting one top 5 (Juolevi) and trading a high first rounder for one in OEL.
Let's also slow down and relax. Hutton and Stecher looked good too early on coming out of the NCAA too.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
might just be my opinion but i think quinn hughes is better than cole mcward
Oops! I’ll give you the captain. But still it’s been a long list of underwhelming defensive acquisitions that have rolled through the organization the past decade. It’s remarkable how bad the string is.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's been better than expected but I think this 'Hughes partner' stuff is still a bit of a stretch.

He looks kind of like a younger Ethan Bear, and I think there's still a lot of work to be done defensively.
Posters get overly excited about a couple of games. Anything above what Hutton and Stecher delivered is a bonus. How many undrafted NCAA free agents have developed into a consistent top 4 guy over the past 10-12 years?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Posters get overly excited about a couple of games. Anything above what Hutton and Stecher delivered is a bonus. How many undrafted NCAA free agents have developed into a consistent top 4 guy over the past 10-12 years?

I can't get over a guy like McWard being played up the roster for 1 preseason game and posters en masse thinking he's now a better signing than guys like Hutton or Stecher who played 500 NHL games and were top-4 guys for decent stretches.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Oops! I’ll give you the captain. But still it’s been a long list of underwhelming defensive acquisitions that have rolled through the organization the past decade. It’s remarkable how bad the string is.
If you are talking about UFA ELC Dmen signings, Stecher and Chatfield were signed by Benning and both are NHL Dmen. Rafferty didn’t pan out but he was a quality signing. Saunter too wasn’t bad. We will see how McWard and Hirose etc. fare but they might be more Sautner than Stecher/Chatfield.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Schenn was a pretty good signing too, for what it's worth. It would be noteworthy if any of the recent college signings turn out better than Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad