Player Discussion Cole McWard

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just watched the game. He wasn't as bad I feared after reading some of the comments. Got a bit unlucky with some of the calls. The ones on RNH and Pederson were kind of soft calls and the play on Lavoie negated a quality scoring chance.

Perhaps what it suggests is that he needs to find a better balance in his defensive play where he knows how long he can hold or hook up to the edge before it triggers a call from the referee. But otherwise, he was doing the same things he was doing before: a low event partner for Hughes at evens with decent outlet passing.

He wasn’t catastrophic but he was taking penalties because he was reacting and a step behind the play.

There is just absolutely no way this player is ready to play top-pairing NHL minutes and there is equally no way we should be wasting our Norris-level 1D by playing him in soft minutes babysitting a rookie.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He wasn’t catastrophic but he was taking penalties because he was reacting and a step behind the play.

There is just absolutely no way this player is ready to play top-pairing NHL minutes and there is equally no way we should be wasting our Norris-level 1D by playing him in soft minutes babysitting a rookie.
The counter argument is that Hughes is good enough to carry just aboutanybody as his partner, whether it be McWard, Juulson or even Woo.

And Hronek is far too valuable anchoring his own pairing, rather than playing sidebar to Hughes. That leaves only Myers, who simply isn't a top pairing d-an any more, and besides, is a disaster playing with Hughes. Or they can move Soucy or Cole to their unnatural left side as Hughes' partner.

Those are really the only options at this point.....so it could be McWard by default.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The counter argument is that Hughes is good enough to carry just aboutanybody as his partner, whether it be McWard, Juulson or even Woo.

And Hronek is far too valuable anchoring his own pairing, rather than playing sidebar to Hughes. That leaves only Myers, who simply isn't a top pairing d-an any more, and besides, is a disaster playing with Hughes. Or they can move Soucy or Cole to their unnatural left side as Hughes' partner.

Those are really the only options at this point.....so it could be McWard by default.

Soucy in particular has played full NHL seasons on his off side.

Like, if this is where we’re at we should have kept Schenn. But we wanted and needed and upgrade there … and McWard is not that.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
McWard, even with his less stellar game vs EDM (he wasn't bad, but you could see the pace was half a step too fast for him, and that's before teams start game planning to expose him) he has clearly been the best of the fringe guys fighting for the 6-8 spot. Breezer probably second best (of the guys that played) and then a step down to Juulsen and Woo.

But even still, I wonder if the best move is to send him to Abby and let him play all situations and see how he handles big minutes on the farm.

Hughes can thrive with anyone. Either go with Soucy or Cole and put Brisebois on the 3rd pairing, or go with Juulsen or even Woo and rotate through partners for Hughes situationally.

McWard has shown he has top 4 potential. He has shown his IQ with how well he can read off QH. Usually I'd say keep the guy that has been playing the best, but think McWard would benefit from being a key cogg in Abby for a bit rather than trying to play support for Hughes.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Seems like the coaching staff sees value in getting McWard going in the league over playing vets, which is a nice change to how we have been operating on our defense with vets like Biega, Hunt, Burroughs, etc. He may make some mistakes now, but if he sticks in the lineup, he's likely going to improve a lot through the year and be a much more useful player in the second half than any of the other options we have. Thinking about next year, if McWard has cut his teeth already, a guy like Hirose can step into the lineup more comfortably, and we'll finally have some impact players on cheap contracts filling out our defense.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He's a young guy, if he makes it as Hughes' partner, we're going to see games like the last one.
Can we afford to take our lumps while he figures it out? Will "sink or swim" work with him?

Looks like we might have to find out.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McWard is 22.....if he had been drafted in the first round by somebody, he'd probably already be penciled into an NHL lineup.

By comparison, if Tom Wilander still isn't NHL-ready at 22, it will be considered more than a mild disappointment.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's a young guy, if he makes it as Hughes' partner, we're going to see games like the last one. Can we afford to take our lump while he figures it out? Will "sink or swim" work with him. Looks like we might have to find out.
Was it really that bad..?..He had some of the best 5v5 underlying numbers on the Canucks D this pre season, and he finished the Oilers game a +2.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Was it really that bad..?..He had some of the best 5v5 underlying numbers on the Canucks D this pre season, and he finished the Oilers game a +2.

It wasn't a great game for him, but it wasn't as bad as some here are painting it. He just looked over his head from time to time. It happens to rookies.

He's on a steep learning curve. Personally, I think he has the tools to succeed, but it's going to be ugly from time to time. My only worry is whether the team can afford to put up with him as he learns.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
McWard is 22.....if he had been drafted in the first round by somebody, he'd probably already be penciled into an NHL lineup.

By comparison, if Tom Wilander still isn't NHL-ready at 22, it will be considered more than a mild disappointment.

The f***? Didn't you just say like a week ago that McWard would be tracking well if he'd been drafted in the first round?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
if McWard was a 15-20 overall pick, id say hes tracking fine considering hes making a case for himself on a NHL squad at 22yrs old
he was like a free 1st round pick. love it.

he has size
RHS
he can skate
he can move the puck
he can seeemingly read the game ok

those r the keys.... other things he may lack r things u can teach. situational knowledge things.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The f***? Didn't you just say like a week ago that McWard would be tracking well if he'd been drafted in the first round?
I'm mystified. What's your point? If McWard had been drafted in the first round by the Canucks or anybody else, he'd be exactly where your scouts had projected him to be by age 22--a serious candidate to stick in the NHL.

I think we're dealing with the Oli Juolevi brain-cramps here.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm mystified. What's your point? If McWard had been drafted in the first round by the Canucks or anybody else, he'd be exactly where your scouts had projected him to be by age 22--a serious candidate to stick in the NHL.

Is he..?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I remember Brett Pesce went straight to the NHL from college and only played 7 games in the AHL and he turned out ok .
Once you start looking at these rare outliers, that’s when you get into trouble. Those should be gravy, not something you’re somewhat counting on.

Reactions: bh53 and MS

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Once you start looking at these rare outliers, that’s when you get into trouble. Those should be gravy, not something you’re somewhat counting on.

The Canucks plan with McWard is a tad bit risky , But at the same time we are fans and not the ones making these big decisions or at practice.

I’m excited that things are changing and McWard is going to be given a chance and we get to be excited about a young player who signed as a top college free agent

Reactions: arttk

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The Canucks plan with McWard is a tad bit risky , But at the same time we are fans and not the ones making these big decisions or at practice.

I’m excited that things are changing and McWard is going to be given a chance and we get to be excited about a young player who signed as a top college free agent
I’m all for change and excitement but we also have to keep expectations realistic for these rookies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

You’re not using a first rounder to take a guy that your scouts project ideally might maybe make an NHL team with a significant hole at their position in their D+5. He’s not “exactly where” you’d like your first pick to be at 22. What an absurd notion.

Can we, for once, just be satisfied that a player looks like a useful asset instead of scrambling to make some grandiose thing of it?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad