Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well if he gets those kind of numbers and signs for 8yrs, it's gonna be right around there.

So what?

Players like Caufield, on his trajectory = 8M/yr if you want to sign them long term.

That's the market.

I rather get him signed now for around $7M for 8 years. The more value contracts for top end players the better. Not going to dwell on it too much but it's something to ponder about.

If we want a contender that lasts for years, value contracts like the Bruins had with Chara, Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta is important.

Subban factor where they went bridge and it burned them. Timing is important.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think he can justify more than Suzuki. Suzuki does much more on the ice defensively and other intangibles.

He can if the cap grows and he has a break out season. Timing of contracts is important. I hope you are right though. Not going to dwell on it too much but it can burn us.

Imagine what Suzuki asks for this off season if Bergevin didn't sign him last year? Not sure and I look at a guy like Josh Norris who had a 55 pts season with 35 goals. He got $7.95M. So maybe I'm worried too much? We will see about that

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I rather get him signed now for around $7M for 8 years. The more value contracts for top end players the better. Not going to dwell on it too much but it's something to ponder about.

If we want a contender that lasts for years, value contracts like the Bruins had with Chara, Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta is important.

Subban factor where they went bridge and it burned them. Timing is important.
Yeah value contracts are great...and that's what Nick Suzuki's contract is trending towards.

As of today, he's sitting 22nd amongst C's in the NHL in terms of cap hits...and he's just going to continue to gain more value as more and more players sign.

If things continue to trend well for Suzuki, you're looking at your #1C sitting around 25th-30th in terms of cap hits. I think that's pretty good value.

I've always said that fans worry way too much about the cap. If the Habs intend to keep Caufield long term, then the money its going to take is pretty much already determined.

Whether it's 7.5 or 8.5M...it'll be more than manageable as it'll be offset by hopefully, other players providing value on their ELCs, etc.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah value contracts are great...and that's what Nick Suzuki's contract is trending towards.

As of today, he's sitting 22nd amongst C's in the NHL in terms of cap hits...and he's just going to continue to gain more value as more and more players sign.

If things continue to trend well for Suzuki, you're looking at your #1C sitting around 25th-30th in terms of cap hits. I think that's pretty good value.

I've always said that fans worry way too much about the cap. If the Habs intend to keep Caufield long term, then the money its going to take is pretty much already determined.

Whether it's 7.5 or 8.5M...it'll be more than manageable as it'll be offset by hopefully, other players providing value on their ELCs, etc.

I'm greedy. I want more than just a top heavy team. How we get a complete team is generating as much cap space as possible with the timing of contracts.

No idea if Hughes and Caufield's agent talked extension. It's possible they did but Caufield and his agent have their own plan. Have a break out year with MSL and Suzuki and at a time when the NHLPA outstanding balance is about to be paid off where we get a better indication on what the future cap will be.

Something to bookmark. I personally prefer to try to lock him up now for 8 years at $7M. If he was willing to sign that, I'm doing it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 417

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
My guess for this year is 34 goals, which would be a heck of a season for him.

34 goals - 26 assists - 60 pts.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm greedy. I want more than just a top heavy team. How we get a complete team is generating as much cap space as possible with the timing of contracts.

No idea if Hughes and Caufield's agent talked extension. It's possible they did but Caufield and his agent have their own plan. Have a break out year with MSL and Suzuki and at a time when the NHLPA outstanding balance is about to be paid off where we get a better indication on what the future cap will be.

Something to bookmark. I personally prefer to try to lock him up now for 8 years at $7M. If he was willing to sign that, I'm doing it in a heartbeat.
Can't see his agent directing him to sign long term right away but stranger things have happened. I figure they'll wait a long as possible to maximize the deal

I'm saying 33 for big Cole this year

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Yeah but if i'm Caufield and/or his agent...I'm waiting to sign.

8 years at 7M would be great for the Habs, but he'd be undervaluing himself IMO.

We'll see...I never worry about paying your best players.

It's overpaying for depth players that bothers me and IMO, is what creates cap challenges.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can't see his agent directing him to sign long term right away but stranger things have happened. I figure they'll wait a long as possible to maximize the deal

I'm saying 33 for big Cole this year

I'd love to know if Hughes and Caufield's agent talked contract.

I think the Habs will be entertaining this year and Suzuki/Caufield should be fun to watch. Hopefully they are sheltered in the line-up match up game so they are not a sole focus by other teams. Avoid injuries too.

If Caufield plays close to 82 games, I do think he will score 30+

Yeah but if i'm Caufield and/or his agent...I'm waiting to sign.

8 years at 7M would be great for the Habs, but he'd be undervaluing himself IMO.

We'll see...I never worry about paying your best players.

It's overpaying for depth players that bothers me and IMO, is what creates cap challenges.

The good news with the depth players is our pool is stacked so finding depth players will come with ELC vs being forced to give out contracts to fill holes cause the pool was crappy before.

I want a complete team. Not a top heavy team.

Reactions: 417 and Deebs

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Not every player wants to maximize. Some are more concerned with security and their agents yield to this.

Suzuki went for it, so it's really not some rare occurence.

Long term contract structures for RFAs often integrate higher salaries down the road to represent the player's progress and upward contribution.

Eg. Let's say Caufield signs 8 years, it could be structured 5-6-7-8-8-9-9-9, for a cap hit of 7.625.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Got potential for 50 but depends on what Montreal’s plans are for next year ( tank or try to be competitive)
I’m trying to figure out the magic button that this team or any team can push to make it competitive.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
30 or less. There's been so many changes to the lineup, guys are still developing, the D lacks a true PP quarterback, etc. They haven't actually found another winger for his line yet either. I do think the offence will be better than last year if the team is healthier, but I wouldn't put too much on the kid. 30 would be great.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Got potential for 50 but depends on what Montreal’s plans are for next year ( tank or try to be competitive)

Caufield scoring at a high pace and Habs getting points are not mutually exclusive, especially considering how bad our defense will be and also considering CC scored 22 goals in MSL's 37 games, pacing for 48.75 goals per 82 games and MSL finished with a 14-19-4 record, good for 71 points over 82 games. 71 points last year would've placed us 7th last.

They can let him loose and we'll still lose a lot of games.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I’m trying to figure out the magic button that this team or any team can push to make it competitive.
No magic button. You can't instill a losing culture. YOU CAN'T no matter the cost.

In order to "tank" or "rebuild" You NEED to stay competitive. In order for the youth to grow in a mens league they NEED role models ( unless of course you are crosby or a very talented play driver ).

Sure maybe 2 more year of tank but that's not good for the young stars on our team to really grow.

The cap situation is gross. Some teams will get desperate if certain players on the block ( almost everyone on the canadiens is on the block ) play well individually and try to cash in low on a good investment and maybe even take something back from montreal.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Caufield scoring at a high pace and Habs getting points are not mutually exclusive, especially considering how bad our defense will be and also considering CC scored 22 goals in MSL's 37 games, pacing for 48.75 goals per 82 games and MSL finished with a 14-19-4 record, good for 71 points over 82 games. 71 points last year would've placed us 7th last.

They can let him loose and we'll still lose a lot of games.
Good point. Many talent have scored lots of points even young and even on relatively bad teams. I still don't think growing in a ...... tanking?.... environment is good for growth unless the player can focus solely on that next year ( said tank year ) I am going to focus on strength and playing and maturing my game win or loose.. Maybe he grows?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I still find it astounding that Caufield managed to produce 35 points in 37 games under Marty St-Louis when he came aboard as head coach for the Habs last season, replacing a floundering Ducharme behind the bench.

That's an extremely small .95 PPG sample for Caufield, but it's half a season, nonetheless.

I'm always weary of a season gone to hell, where players are commonly referred to as playing in the Farkit Zone, with no care for defensive assignments and looking to pad their stats. I'm weary of that kind of production, like Caufield had under St-Louis, as a genuine benchmark for a consistent production from a still young player.

Remember Galchenyuk and his 30 goals in the Farkit Zone, the year the team was spiralling towards the basement of the regular season standings and both Chucky and Patio-ready through all defensive caution to the wind to both reach the 30-goal plateau in consistently losing efforts?

If you're scoring goals by the shovel-full, like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk had done, but the opposing line is still outscoring you and your team keeps tallying up losses, if you score 26 goals as a D (19 of those on the PP), but boast an abysmal -28 at even strength, like Souray did one year, are those performances strictly outlier production levels (to be crippled when the team is now playing to win) and are they even impactful to the team's success by the style of play that lead to those totals?

Will Caufield keep producing in the same manner when the games are on the line and wins are expected?

Caufield, product of the Farkit Zone, or the real deal?

Manse

Jun 17, 2022
Simple answer , Caufield will not give you a good defensive game, he was a -25 last year I do believe !

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I still find it astounding that Caufield managed to produce 35 points in 37 games under Marty St-Louis when he came aboard as head coach for the Habs last season, replacing a floundering Ducharme behind the bench.

That's an extremely small .95 PPG sample for Caufield, but it's half a season, nonetheless.

I'm always weary of a season gone to hell, where players are commonly referred to as playing in the Farkit Zone, with no care for defensive assignments and looking to pad their stats. I'm weary of that kind of production, like Caufield had under St-Louis, as a genuine benchmark for a consistent production from a still young player.

Remember Galchenyuk and his 30 goals in the Farkit Zone, the year the team was spiralling towards the basement of the regular season standings and both Chucky and Patio-ready through all defensive caution to the wind to both reach the 30-goal plateau in consistently losing efforts?

If you're scoring goals by the shovel-full, like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk had done, but the opposing line is still outscoring you and your team keeps tallying up losses, if you score 26 goals as a D (19 of those on the PP), but boast an abysmal -28 at even strength, like Souray did one year, are those performances strictly outlier production levels (to be crippled when the team is now playing to win) and are they even impactful to the team's success by the style of play that lead to those totals?

Will Caufield keep producing in the same manner when the games are on the line and wins are expected?

Caufield, product of the Farkit Zone, or the real deal?

He literally did it in the playoffs, and has the most OT wins last year…

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad