Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think they need to prioritize extending him for 8 years this summer before he scores 30+ this year and the price goes up. The question is how much will it take? Some recent comparable 8 year deals:

- Jack Hughes got 8M after only 31 pts in 56 games but that's going to be a steal for NJ.
- Suzuki got 7.875M after a season of 41 points in 56 games.
- Svechnikov got 7.75M after 42 pts in 55 games.
- Robert Thomas got 8.125 after 77 points in 72 games.
- Josh Norris got 7.95M after 55 points (36 goals) in 66 games

Based on what Caufield has done to this point he should come in under all of these. Svech is the only winger on the list too. I think 7.5 x 8 is a reasonable deal for Cole.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I get the holdback, still, it's how he scored those goals. The great majority of his goals were not easy goals and were almost all top titty, but most of all, I've seen him use goalie displacement so often, the kid is just a natural scorer and incredibly versatile when scoring. Wrist shot, slap shot, one-timer, tap-in, rebound from his own shot, goalie deked out, backhand shot up close, screen shot, through traffic, and mostly, very often making a cross-side shot to the goalie displacement and on top of that, doing it while skating in the opposite direction of his stance, which only great goalscorers know how to do often.

What I mean by this: so CC is a righty, when he skates from left to right carrying the puck, the goalie will displace himself in the same manner (right to left in his case), leaving the opposing corner open (the goalie's righthand side), CC's lefthand side. This is a kinda of goal I've often seen Brett Hull make. It's how I beat most goalies when I played, and won most shootouts in EA's NHL instead of trying intricate dipsy-doodles. It works more often than anything else. I learned it from watching Hull play.

Anyway, CC even does it going from right to left, opening his righthand corner. And he did it a few times. He's friggin masterful at scoring goals:

At 2:42, he uses the goalie displacement's opposing corner on a one-timer. That one might not have been intentional, but seeing the other ones, I think it might've been.

At 4:43, he displaces the goalie by going right to left and shoots the opposing opened corner (his right side).

At 6:25, again, only takes a second to displace goalie right to left and shoots in his right corner

At 7:37, this time he uses a very small displacement, right to left to open his righthand corner.

10:10 and 10:50, small displacements going right to left, shoots opposing corner

Thing is, he doesn't even need goalie displacement as he can also score top titty by using the inside corner instead. He mostly always beats the goalie cleanly and top shelf.

This is not Chucky getting lucky for a month or two and scoring most of his goals from the open slot. Or Higgins getting fed off the rush by Koivu and Markov. Nor Pac getting the same from Markov and Subban.

I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't hit at least 35 next year.

The amount of disrespect Patches gets on here is astonishing. Dude had what, 5 seasons with 30+ goals with the Habs? Would have scored close to 45 goals one year if he didn't miss 9 games.
Putting him in the same breath as Galchenyuk and Higgins who got one 30 goals season combined (and just barely) is simply not fair.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think they need to prioritize extending him for 8 years this summer before he scores 30+ this year and the price goes up. The question is how much will it take? Some recent comparable 8 year deals:

- Jack Hughes got 8M after only 31 pts in 56 games but that's going to be a steal for NJ.
- Suzuki got 7.875M after a season of 41 points in 56 games.
- Svechnikov got 7.75M after 42 pts in 55 games.
- Robert Thomas got 8.125 after 77 points in 72 games.
- Josh Norris got 7.95M after 55 points (36 goals) in 66 games

Based on what Caufield has done to this point he should come in under all of these. Svech is the only winger on the list too. I think 7.5 x 8 is a reasonable deal for Cole.

He needs a bridge contract to learn rispeck.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
My guess is more than that. He scored 22 goals in 2 months while scoring 1 goal in almost 5 months.

My guess is 35-30 next year
Im just being realistic, we always project way too more points for our players and always ends up deceived. We have to put in perspective that we will have a bad defense and will always be trailing from behind

Reactions: DavePeak

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Less than 30
giphy.gif

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Im just being realistic, we always project way too more points for our players and always ends up deceived. We have to put in perspective that we will have a bad defense and will always be trailing from behind

Normally I'd agree but if Caufield played a full season he paced for 28. Expecting him to get 30-35 is a reasonable increase. Covid protocol caused him to miss most of those games and I doubt that he ends up missing as many this year.

Reactions: Maitz

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
High 20s I think. Starts year with sophomore slump and then picks it up second half.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I voted 50. Kid is too good at scoring goals, it’s not a matter of if, but when with him. I say he does it now. Kid can score.

Reactions: SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Boggles my mind. He is such a better player than what he has shown in montreal so far.
Yes he is, his ceiling is very high. I think there wasn’t enough talent around him last year for him to really explode offensively. A guy like Slafkovsky who cary the puck and cuts to the middle and push defenders will help him score more at 5 vs 5 or will allow him to make plays more often too because he’s a very good passer. Or even a C like Dach who’s a very good playmaker and needs a finisher with him, could be good for Cole at 5 vs 5.

I like him and suzuki together but suzuki slow down the play and i’m not sure it’s Caufield’s game, he’s way better shooting on the rush ans quick plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Yes he is, his ceiling is very high. I think there wasn’t enough talent around him last year for him to really explode offensively. A guy like Slafkovsky who cary the puck and cuts to the middle and push defenders will help him score more at 5 vs 5 or will allow him to make plays more often too because he’s a very good passer. Or even a C like Dach who’s a very good playmaker and needs a finisher with him, could be good for Cole at 5 vs 5.

I like him and suzuki together but suzuki slow down the play and i’m not sure it’s Caufield’s game, he’s way better shooting on the rush ans quick plays.

Oh yeaaaah. Slafkovsky is the perfect guy for a player like Caufield.

The fact that Slafkovsky isn't just a big guy, he can create play, he can pass and shoot the puck.

Slafkovsky, Suzuki and Caufield can all become PPG players, they have talent to do that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I was hoping for an extension this summer but none yet. I fear that he has a 30+ and 70+ pts season and asks for more than Suzuki.
Well if he gets those kind of numbers and signs for 8yrs, it's gonna be right around there.

So what?

Players like Caufield, on his trajectory = 8M/yr if you want to sign them long term.

That's the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad