Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He has to prove himself in the ahl first. Look at how Romanov has come back down to earth over the past 10 games. And he played in the khl. I'd rather see him get at least some games in the ahl to see what he can do first before throwing him into the NHL out of college.
Was thinking the same last night. Romanov is being leaned on way to hard. He’s coming from the best team in the KHL to arguably the most mediocre.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why have the guy struggle in the NHL right off the bat? Unless he steps in and displaces a vet, there's no benefit. And yes, we can talk about who sucks on the Habs, but the fact remains Caufield has not played professionally yet. The Habs aren't in a position this year to coddle a rookie and give him a try out (unless he deserves to be there). In an 82 game season, I'd see things differently.

If the PP continues to struggle, it would be asinine to not bring in Caufield and see what he can do.. the thing about a player who struggles on an ELC? You can send him down if they aren't ready.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If the PP continues to struggle, it would be asinine to not bring in Caufield and see what he can do.. the thing about a player who struggles on an ELC? You can send him down if they aren't ready.
He's going to replace Byron by playoff time.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin-KK-Gally
Tatar-Danault-Caufield
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why have the guy struggle in the NHL right off the bat? Unless he steps in and displaces a vet, there's no benefit. And yes, we can talk about who sucks on the Habs, but the fact remains Caufield has not played professionally yet. The Habs aren't in a position this year to coddle a rookie and give him a try out (unless he deserves to be there). In an 82 game season, I'd see things differently.

He will struggle right off the bat in the NHL, theres no way around it, youre just delaying it. If theyre ready to give him a role in the NHL give him, if its to play him 12 minutes a night, AHL.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If you're pinning your hopes on a kid out of college to save your PP, you're betting too much. The PP is more of a system issue. They have the personnel, its the execution of the proper system thats the problem.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He will struggle right off the bat in the NHL, theres no way around it, youre just delaying it. If theyre ready to give him a role in the NHL give him, if its to play him 12 minutes a night, AHL.
No time or room for another rookie to struggle this season. Only 56 games. Plus, there's no way he'd be in shape to play this kind of schedule.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you're pinning your hopes on a kid out of college to save your PP, you're betting too much. The PP is more of a system issue. They have the personnel, its the execution of the proper system thats the problem.

Adding a legitimate shooting threat to the powerplay will help the PP vastly.. I agree the PP has systemic flaws, but I don't agree they have all the personnel they need. They lack a legitimate shooting option on the boards.. Caufield being out there will open up a lot of things and can actually be the primary weapon that everything goes off of.

Think about Weber and Caufield on the same side of the ice, for a four man box, that's tough to take away both those passing lanes for two one-timers.. and if they do, then that opens up the high bumper area for a quick shot there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No time or room for another rookie to struggle this season. Only 56 games. Plus, there's no way he'd be in shape to play this kind of schedule.
How is he not in shape lmao ? Hes been playing in the NCAA for three years now. If they don't have the spcae for him, he should go to the AHL, but with guys like Armia and Danault in the top 9 I don't see how you can justify it.

Reactions: Gyfu

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Let the kid cook in the AHL for a year or 2 with call ups in his 2nd year.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
How is he not in shape lmao ? Hes been playing in the NCAA for three years now. If they don't have the spcae for him, he should go to the AHL, but with guys like Armia and Danault in the top 9 I don't see how you can justify it.
Um. Whats the ncaa season again? Like 36 games? This year even less. He won't have the conditioning for this schedule and all those practices. Most college kids have trouble with the NHL season length.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Um. Whats the ncaa season again? Like 36 games? This year even less. He won't have the conditioning for this schedule and all those practices. Most college kids have trouble with the NHL season length.
Hes played 31 games since october, so far WJC included without pre tourney and preseason. Im sure hes fine.

Reactions: Gyfu

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Its really nice to see Caufield finish the NCAA year so strongly, especially after his mediocre start.

Also, Caufield could help the Habs PP, but he's not going to be the instant fix. Hopefully Ducharme can get it going.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Its really nice to see Caufield finish the NCAA year so strongly, especially after his mediocre start.

Also, Caufield could help the Habs PP, but he's not going to be the instant fix. Hopefully Ducharme can get it going.

Lol not to nitpick but where do you consider him as being mediocre at all at Wisconsin

when he was a freshman winning B10 rookie of the year or this year when he’s a front runner for the HB trophy?

Reactions: Redux91

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Lol not to nitpick but where do you consider him as being mediocre at all at Wisconsin

when he was a freshman winning B10 rookie of the year or this year when he’s a front runner for the HB trophy?

I should have been a bit more specific. I meant I thought he was mediocre at the beginning of this season. Maybe that's unfair. My expectations for him were high, but that's because I think he's a really unique prospect! I thought he would come out scoring goals and it took a few games. He was still getting points and obviously as the games went on, he lit it up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
4 more games coming up vs Ohio St and Michigan St, the 2 worst teams in the Big 10 that have given up 145 goals between them. After that the Big 10 playoffs start in 3 weeks. Wisconsin is all but a lock for the NCAA tournament as well at the end of March.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I should have been a bit more specific. I meant I thought he was mediocre at the beginning of this season. Maybe that's unfair. My expectations for him were high, but that's because I think he's a really unique prospect! I thought he would come out scoring goals and it took a few games. He was still getting points and obviously as the games went on, he lit it up.

Completely fair. He was producing at below a 1.5 PPG albeit not having Holloway probably hurt a bit. I agree he's been tearing it up ever since returning from the WJC and playing at or above expectations. And yes, I expected him to be hobey Baker calibre in his second NCAA season.

Last edited:

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
4 more games coming up vs Ohio St and Michigan St, the 2 worst teams in the Big 10 that have given up 145 goals between them. After that the Big 10 playoffs start in 3 weeks. Wisconsin is all but a lock for the NCAA tournament as well at the end of March.
How many games are Laval likely to have left, when the Badger's are done?
I'd like him to get to know the speed and intensity of the pro game this year,
so he know what to work towards.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How many games are Laval likely to have left, when the Badger's are done?
I'd like him to get to know the speed and intensity of the pro game this year,
so he know what to work towards.

depends on how far they go in the tournament, 15 games if his season ends late March, if he advances to the frozen fours then closer to 10.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Adding a legitimate shooting threat to the powerplay will help the PP vastly.. I agree the PP has systemic flaws, but I don't agree they have all the personnel they need. They lack a legitimate shooting option on the boards.. Caufield being out there will open up a lot of things and can actually be the primary weapon that everything goes off of.

Think about Weber and Caufield on the same side of the ice, for a four man box, that's tough to take away both those passing lanes for two one-timers.. and if they do, then that opens up the high bumper area for a quick shot there.

Adding a sniper with shooting mentality and play making skills will help the PP no doubt.. time and space will be where he shines. However, aside from Petry, we sadly don’t have puck possession beasts so our entries will struggle. Maybe Kotkaniemi can get there.. I see potential in him being strong and skilled enough to gain entries with possession. Suzuki is clever but lacks elite skating to give him the time and space he needs. Drouin has been probably one of our best forwards this year. I like the Drouin / Suzuki / Armia line

Anyways.. there is no harm trying Caufield in practice and then go from there. You never know if he struggles or shines right away. He does have the it factor but he needs a physical and talented center IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig