Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Nah, most hobey baker winners turn out to be meh NHLers. Overrated award

Of course it doesnt mean much lol
This is just to give the kid a lil more "pep in his step" is all
If he ended up winning, even he would know it wasnt really because of wisconsin fans voting , but a lot to do with a storied and impatiently awaiting a goalscorer NHL franchise who eagerly awaits him lol
It's to let him know "we see you kid."

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

The value of the HBA towards NHL success is very age dependant.... if you know what you're talking about...

Hobey Baker Award at 20 years old or younger:

Jack Eichel (2015) 18 years 6 months
Johnny Gaudreau (2014) 20 years 8 months
Ryan Miller (2001) 20 years 9 months
Paul Kariya (1993) 18 years 6 months
Kip Miller (1990) 20 years 10 months
Robb Stauber (1988) 20 years 5 months
Tony Hrkac (1987) 20 years 9 months
Bill Watson (1985) 20 years 11½ months

If ever CC wins it, he'll be the youngest winger to win it in 28 years since Kariya. CC will be 20 years and 3 months when the next HBA will be announced.

He would be the 3rd youngest to win it after Kariya and Eichel.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not at all. It's a huge honour and well deserved reward for being the best hockey player in college hockey, which he's shown he is. It's like not voting for a Calder or other individual award because you think it's "overrated."

Why wouldn't you want to support a Habs prospect and give him his due respect? Also, the fan vote doesn't determine the winner but a great way to give props.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not at all. It's a huge honour and well deserved reward for being the best hockey player in college hockey, which he's shown he is. It's like not voting for a Calder or other individual award because you think it's "overrated."

Why wouldn't you want to support a Habs prospect and give him his due respect? Also, the fan vote doesn't determine the winner but a great way to give props.

It's a popularity contest. If the entire military vote for the other guy, he could suck and win. Bogus award. Every team candidate is actually a winner, IMO.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The value of the HBA towards NHL success is very age dependant.... if you know what you're talking about...

Hobey Baker Award at 20 years old or younger:

Jack Eichel (2015) 18 years 6 months
Johnny Gaudreau (2014) 20 years 8 months
Ryan Miller (2001) 20 years 9 months
Paul Kariya (1993) 18 years 6 months
Kip Miller (1990) 20 years 10 months
Robb Stauber (1988) 20 years 5 months
Tony Hrkac (1987) 20 years 9 months
Bill Watson (1985) 20 years 11½ months

If ever CC wins it, he'll be the youngest winger to win it in 28 years since Kariya. CC will be 20 years and 3 months when the next HBA will be announced.

He would be the 3rd youngest to win it after Kariya and Eichel.

that's what I was going to say but instead of age I look at it as upperclassmen (Seniors/Juniors) vs lowerclassman (Freshman/Soph)

Hobey Baker Memorial Award

It's more an award for uppclassmen, so when underclassmen win it's usually a very good sign for them,

Makar - Soph
Eichel - Fresh
Ryan Duncan - Soph
Ryan Miller - Soph
Kariya - Fresh
Robb Stauber - Soph

the only non NHLer is Duncan but he was propped up that year at North Dakota while on a line with 2 future NHLers in Toews and Oshie in what was the best line in college hockey that year, they had 155 pts between them. All the talk at the time was that had Toews not missed 9 games to the WJC's and injury I believe, with his 1.35 ppg he would have won the Hobey since he would have have led the league in points, 1 more then Duncan (if of course he was able to keep up that ppg).

So had Toews not been ripping up the WJC's that year, perhaps he is on the list over Duncan and then you got a really special list of underclassmen outside of Stauber but he won it before I got into college hockey.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

Dont worry im one of his biggest supporters here. just saying go though the list of winners, sure theres some good players but also a lot of nobody's. Dont get me wrong, id love him to win it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dont worry im one of his biggest supporters here. just saying go though the list of winners, sure theres some good players but also a lot of nobody's. Dont get me wrong, id love him to win it.

take a look at my post #15, 2 up from yours, I follow the NCAA more closely for the past 20+ years then most on this board. I explained a better way to look at the list.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
He looks small out there.

Allright, I’m gonna show myself to the door.

Let me help you. ;)

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad