Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I didnt see yesterday game so I cant comment on this one, but today I thought he played very well, much more engaged in the play, shorter and more intensive shifts, thats the way to go, I thought he was hands down the best player on the ice in this one...

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think there's much more for him to learn at this level...look forward to him turning pro.

Reactions: Toene

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think there's much more for him to learn at this level...look forward to him turning pro.

At the start of the season, even when the points hadn't started to pile up, there were videos of him dangling all over the place and having 6 shots per game. I think it's good for him to be able to experiment on the ice and try different things. I liked seeing this. It reminded me a bit of Suzuki when he went back for 1 more year in the OHL. I like seeing a prospect dominate a level before going on to the next level. Plus, hopefully he's using the light college schedule to continue getting stronger in the weight room.

Reactions: Vachon23

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I’m actually not high on Cole Caufield. I don’t know if his game will transition to the NHL. His game looks to be scrabble at the moment. Not much of puck control. He needs to play with big forwards like Jesperi Kotkaniemi or Philip Danault as his center. The left winger must be a big forward but we don’t have that player yet. Someone like Todd Bertuzzi at his prime.

I'm actually impressed by his puck control, when he was drafted I thought he'll be a sniper only player but he keeps showing that he can dish that puck pretty well.

That's great cuz he'll make defenders doubt if he can show that he can pass at an elite level.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Excellent news. His surgical aim combined with a high shooting rate could translate into an elite goal-scorer, if he can continue these traits at higher levels; add to that a surprising ability to set up plays as well. Outrageous pick at 15, if he continues to develop. Would you pick a Mats Naslund or a Henri Richard at 15? I would. Caufield could be as skillful, maybe more, albeit not as supremely fortunate as the Pocket Rocket to land in a historical juggernaut in a 6-team league.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Excellent news. His surgical aim combined with a high shooting rate could translate into an elite goal-scorer, if he can continue these traits at higher levels; add to that a surprising ability to set up plays as well. Outrageous pick at 15, if he continues to develop. Would you pick a Mats Naslund or a Henri Richard at 15? I would. Caufield could be as skillful, maybe more, albeit not as supremely fortunate as the Pocket Rocket to land in a historical juggernaut in a 6-team league.
I'm with you, we knew he had a killer shot and he could score basically from all over the ice but now he's showing an extra layer, maybe playing on a weak team is not so bad at the end of the day. He develops a better overall game.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I’m actually not high on Cole Caufield. I don’t know if his game will transition to the NHL. His game looks to be scrabble at the moment. Not much of puck control. He needs to play with big forwards like Jesperi Kotkaniemi or Philip Danault as his center. The left winger must be a big forward but we don’t have that player yet. Someone like Todd Bertuzzi at his prime.

Have you watched his games this year?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I had no doubt, I knew he would figure it out, People overreact way to quickly these days.
Caufield has incredible talent, exciting prospect

Hopefully Guhle works out. But I wouldn't have minded going with another faller with a lot of talent: Hendrix LaPierre. Our offense could use more high end talent.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Glad Caufield points are over PPG. But god damn would I hope he was out of that black hole talentless team... Also past weekend with 9 forwards playing(due to covid) and Holloway gone makes it even worse.
Hopefuly next year they get him the hell out of there.
AHL or Europe would make me happy! I feel like right now he's wrongly pressuring/cheating himself into getting all the offense for making points. I feel like on a more balanced team he would have to participate/partake more in a dynamic defense, which would be good for him.
Free Cole.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so Caufield officially leads the NCAA in points and tied for the lead in goals. Of course that doesn't mean much since outside the Big 10 not many teams have been playing much or some not at all.

Though you have to give him credit to have the numbers he has, he just faced the goalie for Ohio St that's currently 2nd in the league in save % and it can't be very hard for coaches to make up a game plan when facing Wisconsin, well we need to focus on shutting down #8 and well that's about it. The funny thing abut that is I haven't seen teams really key on him physically as last year we saw it at times, though it didn't really work I still thought especially with their top 3 centers out that teams would just be all in his face and making him pay the price physically.

But that's it for now as Caufield I believe will not play in the final 2 games vs Michigan St on the 8th and 9th as USA's camp starts on the 6th. The Wisconsin schedule ends after the 9th and no word yet on what the plan is for the next round of games which I assume won't be till next month.

he still needs improvement in his defensive game, though i'm not sure he will really learn much at Wisconsin as say he would with Bouchard in Laval. Granted I don't really know just not a fan of the way Granato coaches and the effort from Caufield defensively at times hasn't always been where you would want it to be

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's super impressive what Caufield's been able to accomplish with that roster, especially that Holloway hasn't been there except for 2 of those games. Has anybody noticed that Caufield has to do pretty much everything on all of his goals? No tap-in's or easy goals. I think Caufield tries to do too much sometimes to create offense on his own (which may lead to turn overs etc), but he doesn't have much of a choice most of the time. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at his vision as his passing this year has been pretty top notch. Great hockey IQ as well.

Let's be honest, he'll never be a Philip Danault on the defensive side of things, but that's not why he was drafted.

Can't wait to see him play with some talent at the WJC.

Reactions: Holystik

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's super impressive what Caufield's been able to accomplish with that roster, especially that Holloway hasn't been there except for 2 of those games. Has anybody noticed that Caufield has to do pretty much everything on all of his goals? No tap-in's or easy goals. I think Caufield tries to do too much sometimes to create offense on his own (which may lead to turn overs etc), but he doesn't have much of a choice most of the time. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at his vision as his passing this year has been pretty top notch. Great hockey IQ as well.

Let's be honest, he'll never be a Philip Danault on the defensive side of things, but that's not why he was drafted.

Can't wait to see him play with some talent at the WJC.

Again, Caufield only needs to be reasonably good defensively and avoid being as completely clueless as Galchenyuk was to get ice time if he scores regularly, good enough to merit top-6 minutes in time after starting off with sheltered minutes on a third line against weaker opposition, something like on a line of Caufield - Kotkaniemi - Anderson, also shielded by the size of his line mates and the playing style that helps create space for him out there on the ice.

See absolutely nothing wrong with a roster that sends out an offensive third line when you have a premiere shutdown line in Tatar - Danault - Gallagher that can play tough minutes against the opponents' top-6 and come out with a positive net goal differential. You shut down opposing scorers and still help increase your lead overall. Then, your more offensive third line gets to take apart weaker opposition and produces primary offense in a secondary match-up.

Last edited:

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
Again, Caufield only needs to be reasonably good defensively and avoid being as completely clueless as Galchenyuk was to get ice time if he scores regularly, good enough to merit top-6 minutes in time after starting off with sheltered minutes on a third line against weaker opposition, something like on a line of Caufield - Kotkaniemi - Anderson, also shielded by the size of his linemates and the playing style that helps create space for him out there on the ice.
Agree but where do we put him if it turns out he needs some more minor league time? Is the AHL playing this year? Or is it better to have him chill in college until we can put the development structure back to normal?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
On a Q&A from this week, based on potential, Scott Wheeler had Caufield ranked ahead of Suzuki and cie. Pretty crazy if it materializes.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Agree but where do we put him if it turns out he needs some more minor league time? Is the AHL playing this year? Or is it better to have him chill in college until we can put the development structure back to normal?

Let him play WJC again this year and finish out his season in Wisconsin. It's a shitty team so, Caufield will likely be available at the tail end of this season and could be added on an ELC contract that can slide for an added dimension come playoff time. The following year, he either makes the Habs' lineup straight out of training camp or starts the season off in Laval under Bouchard's tutelage.

Caufield apparently spent most of the COVID off time working on strengthening his body and increasing his flexibility. Another offseason of that should help him prepare against the rigours of NHL opposition.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
On a Q&A from this week, based on potential, Scott Wheeler had Caufield ranked ahead of Suzuki and cie. Pretty crazy if it materializes.

Crystal ball scenarios only have so much interest for me and, of course, it's impossible not to say it would be great for Caufield to be better than Suzuki, in the end.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's the number 1 scorer in the NCAA as of right now, on a pretty bad team and with little to no support. It doesn't mean much this early in the season obviously but still, he's been doing a lot of positive things.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's the number 1 scorer in the NCAA as of right now, on a pretty bad team and with little to no support. It doesn't mean much this early in the season obviously but still, he's been doing a lot of positive things.

I think most, if not all, his goals have been created by himself. There hasn't been too many instances where his teammates have teed him up in the quiet areas and he's scored off the one timer.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think most, if not all, his goals have been created by himself. There hasn't been too many instances where his teammates have teed him up in the quiet areas and he's scored off the one timer.
Oh 100%, I don't even think he's scored on a one timer yet , which has been his bread and butter in the past. Playing him point on the PP is forcing him to do most of the work there as well . He's been getting very little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad