Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 5) - No Sophmore Slump, please Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
You mean playing in the NHL now ? Craig Smith, Kyle Turris, Luke Kunin, Ryan Suter, Jake Gardiner, Ryan McDonagh, Joe Pavelski. I'm probably missing a bunch, it's one of the more prolific programs historicaly.

Just in general. Thanks. I hope he stays another year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
very interesting that MB says that he's not ready and that they don't want another Kotka situation or something to that effect. I wonder could he actually be learning about development. So that leads to what does he want to do, Laval or Wisconsin? His defensive game looked better last night but he needs a lot of work there, Julien would lose his mind if he saw some of the defensive plays he's made with Wisconsin this year. Of course he needs to get stronger as well.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
very interesting that MB says that he's not ready and that they don't want another Kotka situation or something to that effect. I wonder could he actually be learning about development. So that leads to what does he want to do, Laval or Wisconsin? His defensive game looked better last night but he needs a lot of work there, Julien would lose his mind if he saw some of the defensive plays he's made with Wisconsin this year. Of course he needs to get stronger as well.

Staying in Wisconsin and playing another WJC will be the best route for his development.

If Suzuki can play two draft+ seasons in the CHL, no reason Caufield can’t do the same in the NCAA. Like you said, he has some work to do.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
This isn't a case of a junior player who has nothing to gain by playing against younger players and dominating.

He'll be playing guys older than him which can still be helpful

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Staying in Wisconsin and playing another WJC will be the best route for his development.

I don't know what's best for him as I don't think he has a very good coach at Wisconsin, as he's allowed him to give some piss poor efforts at times in his own end. He is a +5 in the last 4 games to make it to Even on the year as there are only 3 plus players on the team. The problem is if he's not challenged you don't want him getting bad habits.

I trust Bouchard a lot more to work with him but on the other hand I'm not a big fan of 19 year olds in the AHL. It's a tough call, I do want to see him play in the WJC's since they will have a new coach for sure.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

If Suzuki can play two draft+ seasons in the CHL, no reason Caufield can’t do the same in the NCAA. Like you said, he has some work to do.
He can go to AHL and still go to WJC if we gu e him the okay.

But of course this will all depend of his progression assuming he comes to the AHL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Wisconsin will face Ohio State in the 1st round of the playoffs next weekend. They just played them this weekend, won yesterday and today they came back from being down 3-0 to tie the game. So could be a good series as Ohio St plays a ton of one goal games and haven't been doing as well of late with a 6-7-3 record in the 2nd half.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
You mean playing in the NHL now ? Craig Smith, Kyle Turris, Luke Kunin, Ryan Suter, Jake Gardiner, Ryan McDonagh, Joe Pavelski. I'm probably missing a bunch, it's one of the more prolific programs historicaly.
Good list, i will add Elliott and Stepan... but let's not forget our lord and saviour René Bourque.

Reactions: DAChampion

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Kid will get killed in the NHL as of right now.

Based on what? Size? It’s not like he’s going to get a whole lot bigger and stronger next year or the year after.

I mean, I don’t really disagree with you but there was no context here. Physically and experience-wise, he’d probably be a little ahead of some U20 junior players who play(ed) in the NHL as he’s spent a year playing full time against kids older and more experienced than him on one of the worst teams in the AA.

Reactions: ArsHabs

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Based on what? Size? It’s not like he’s going to get a whole lot bigger and stronger next year or the year after.

I mean, I don’t really disagree with you but there was no context here. Physically and experience-wise, he’d probably be a little ahead of some U20 junior players who play(ed) in the NHL as he’s spent a year playing full time against kids older and more experienced than him on one of the worst teams in the AA.

He can spend another year working on the defensive aspect of his game which is lacking, he could also benefit from putting on more muscle at the same time. He’s going to need to have a Gallagher-like physique to be successful.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He’s going to need to have a Gallagher-like physique to be successful.
I don't agree with that as the two are completely different style of players. Not saying he doesn't need to get stronger, but he doesn't need to become a bull like Gally. Cole weaves in and out of space using his quickness and agility.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't agree with that as the two are completely different style of players. Not saying he doesn't need to get stronger, but he doesn't need to become a bull like Gally. Cole weaves in and out of space using his quickness and agility.

Frankly, he’s not quick enough to do that in the NHL. Gallagher’s skating wasn’t a strength when he was drafted, but he turned it into one.

He doesn’t need to be a bull, but he needs to get stronger to better defend.

Reactions: angusyoung

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Frankly, he’s not quick enough to do that in the NHL. Gallagher’s skating wasn’t a strength when he was drafted, but he turned it into one.

Gallagher is still slow for a guy his size, it's his shiftiness that's a strength... same can be said for Caufield. I wouldn't be afraid to throw Caufield in the NHL right now, kid was always the smallest, he knows how to avoid contacts... the problem is, would he succeed... probably not.

Big guys that never had to care in the juniors are the one skating their heads down and not protecing themselves are the ones to be afraid that they could get killed in the NHL.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Ya, his size is a concern.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

We can help to mitigate his weaknesses by playing him with a big two way center. Kotkaniemi might be perfect.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I definitely believe Caufield is quick enough to play that style of game in the NHL. His ability to find open spaces is one of his best attributes.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He can spend another year working on the defensive aspect of his game which is lacking, he could also benefit from putting on more muscle at the same time. He’s going to need to have a Gallagher-like physique to be successful.

Agreed that play away from the puck needs improvement. Of course, he needs to be stronger, but I don’t think being a gym rat like Gallagher is needed. He isn’t a net front presence or in your face bump and grind player. It’s his offensive zone IQ and ability to find open ice that is his strength.

It’ll be harder to find that at the NHL level which is why I am still not confident of his 5v5, but I don’t think he needs to be all jacked up to find success.

Reactions: ArsHabs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'd rather he goes to Laval this year...gets a taste of pro hockey, then spends a full year in Laval again next year.

Granato isn't a very good coach, Wisconsin isn't a very good team. He led his conference in scoring this year.

Not sure what else is left to learn at that level.

On to the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad