Prospect Info: Cole Caufield Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His goalscoring managed to go underrated during the draft season because instead of eating goaltenders hopes and dreams with overwhelming power like Laine. ''Will he be able to do that against the pros?'' they said.

We'll see, but I'm betting that yes, he will.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what he can do in the NCAA

Reactions: NotProkofievian

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's unusually early for NCAA pre-season.

I don't pay much attention to the exhibition games each year but I was shocked when I saw they had a game that early and didn't think it was allowed. I found out it was due to Wisconsin making an international trip that the NCAA allows a school to do once every few years. What sucks is that they don't start their season till Oct 11th vs BC.

Reactions: habsprospects

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Shoots like Cammaller off his foot, in the slot. That's a good thing.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
They are extremely different as players and I'm not sure Caufield ever turns out as good, but sure. I'll admit that I'd take a Theo Fleury (minus the drug problems) on my team any day and be pleased with it.

I disagree massively with what you've posted, with all due respect.

Joe is a HHOFer and probably amongst the top 30-40 players who ever graced the NHL (#32 actually based on HfBoards' History of Hockey board). He's probably also my favorite player of all if I must be frank as I grew up watching him dominate much of the time and loved seeing him in action (except against Montreal).

Sakic played the game relying on his all-world hockey sense, excellent skating, crazy cardio, high intensity and efficiency, tremendous puck-protection and lower-body strength, insane skill level, elite playmaking, was amongst the best in the NHL possession-wise for years, owns one of the Game's all-time best wristers and probably the single best release in history, all-around great arsenal of shots (slapper is less impressive but his wrister makes up for it a lot and that was what he used the most by far), great two-way ability, a seemingly preternatural ability to find ''weak'' points to attack in the offensive zone with his (all-star) teammates, was clutch as all hell, as well as a true-blue professional and gentleman to boot. What is even more impressive than all of that is his marvelous durability and the unbelievable level of play he maintained even 20+ years after he had been drafted by the Nordiques.

For a long time he was the single best captain in the NHL and had intangibles up the wazoo, enough to give Toews a run for his money.

Now that I've said that, I believe you can understand the type of struggle Caufield will have trying to match even just a fraction of Sakic's level of play, nevermind actually living up to his entire legacy (1600+ points, more than PPG in the playoffs over his entire career with 188 points in 172 games, many individual awards, etc.).

Outside of achievements and accolades, if we only look at Caufield's attributes as a hockey player, it is clear that, while extremely impressive aside from his height, strength, and defensive play, these attributes and skills still fall far short of the absolute beast that Sakic was, and that's no slight to Caufield at all.

On a personal note, I love Caufield as a player, and the Flyers will regret having handed him to us in a couple of years I'm sure, but he's not gonna be Joe Sakic and he also has a 99,99% chance of not being an HHOFer. That, however, doesn't mean he can't be an absolute beauty of a hockey player for us. With that in mind, let us tamper our expectations, watch how Caufield develops from here and sincerely cheer for him from the bottom of our hearts on his pursuit of his dream, as we must do with all our prospects.
I was just talking about the precision shot alone, not the multiple talent and hockey IQ Sakic had.
Caufeild have that precision shot even better than Cammaleri. Caufield equal precision shot Steve Shutt had, or Pierre Larouche and both don't come in the top 50 players of all time. Caufield precision shot is by far better than Brian Savage by example.

Being that said I've read many observers saying he have very good hockey IQ and he passes precisly also. So we'll see at the end how a player he will be.
I say he will be the new Dino Ciccarelli, not Sakic.
I say also goalies will make "Caufield Again Nightmares". (emoticon), let's abreviate that with CAN for futures discussions, lol.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't laught, it is very possible. They have similar shooting arsenal.
I’m truly excited at having him. He could very well turn into a star scorer. And Sakic fell because of size and lack of speed, and was drafted mid first as well... hence why I mentioned him.

I throw in the laugh because Sakic is one of the best players of all time. That’s a high bar to set and not the expectation we should have.

That doesn’t mean I’m not excited though. Kid has serious potential.

Reactions: Miller Time

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
They are extremely different as players and I'm not sure Caufield ever turns out as good, but sure. I'll admit that I'd take a Theo Fleury (minus the drug problems) on my team any day and be pleased with it.

I disagree massively with what you've posted, with all due respect.

Joe is a HHOFer and probably amongst the top 30-40 players who ever graced the NHL (#32 actually based on HfBoards' History of Hockey board). He's probably also my favorite player of all if I must be frank as I grew up watching him dominate much of the time and loved seeing him in action (except against Montreal).

Sakic played the game relying on his all-world hockey sense, excellent skating, crazy cardio, high intensity and efficiency, tremendous puck-protection and lower-body strength, insane skill level, elite playmaking, was amongst the best in the NHL possession-wise for years, owns one of the Game's all-time best wristers and probably the single best release in history, all-around great arsenal of shots (slapper is less impressive but his wrister makes up for it a lot and that was what he used the most by far), great two-way ability, a seemingly preternatural ability to find ''weak'' points to attack in the offensive zone with his (all-star) teammates, was clutch as all hell, as well as a true-blue professional and gentleman to boot. What is even more impressive than all of that is his marvelous durability and the unbelievable level of play he maintained even 20+ years after he had been drafted by the Nordiques.

For a long time he was the single best captain in the NHL and had intangibles up the wazoo, enough to give Toews a run for his money.

Now that I've said that, I believe you can understand the type of struggle Caufield will have trying to match even just a fraction of Sakic's level of play, nevermind actually living up to his entire legacy (1600+ points, more than PPG in the playoffs over his entire career with 188 points in 172 games, many individual awards, etc.).

Outside of achievements and accolades, if we only look at Caufield's attributes as a hockey player, it is clear that, while extremely impressive aside from his height, strength, and defensive play, these attributes and skills still fall far short of the absolute beast that Sakic was, and that's no slight to Caufield at all.

On a personal note, I love Caufield as a player, and the Flyers will regret having handed him to us in a couple of years I'm sure, but he's not gonna be Joe Sakic and he also has a 99,99% chance of not being an HHOFer. That, however, doesn't mean he can't be an absolute beauty of a hockey player for us. With that in mind, let us tamper our expectations, watch how Caufield develops from here and sincerely cheer for him from the bottom of our hearts on his pursuit of his dream, as we must do with all our prospects.
Good post. There were some great players in that generation.

I still piss people off saying that steve yzerman was a better hockey player than Gretzky. And I stand by this.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good post. There were some great players in that generation.

I still piss people off saying that steve yzerman was a better hockey player than Gretzky. And I stand by this.

But, he wasn't. I think Crosby and is though.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Next Hab player to score 50 g or more. Many teams will regret not drafting him, not only the Flyers.

50 eh? That's a tall order to say the least. 30 in today's NHL is more than fine,as long as he can play all ends without getting pummeled often. Kind of a huge difference from school to the NHL.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nice, but this is only exhibition against lower competition...
Right. The guy just puts himself in a good position to score regardless. Feels bad for UW's starting goaltender, whom is being loaned to UBC cause their starter can't go.

Reactions: Gravity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad