Prospect Info: Cole Caufield Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Playing poker against a known bluffer. Flop comes and you fill out an ace high straight, two suited cards are in the flop. You raise, the bluffer calls. The turn card is nothing, you raise big. Bluffer calls again. Then comes the river, now there are three suited cards on the board. You make a quarter pot raise and the bluffer comes in over top of you, all in. Now what? This is how I feel about Caufield. At that position we almost have to draft him (call), but you really don't want to. I really hope it works out and we have our own Johnny Hockey, some excitement in the rink would be awesome, but I'm not sold yet.

Bad analogy you dont even know how to use the terms bet and raise correctly. In the hand you are talking about isnt it fishy that a bluffer would smooth call twice ?

Hes most likely strong so following this logic Caufield is actually the nuts and we have hit an home run ;)

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Caufield is extremely hard to cover, he's so smart and sneaky.
yeah, it's crazy how he roams around in the Ozone when his team has possession, completely messes up other teams covers, he opens up ice and open lane for himselfs, pair that with his elite shot and it's nearly impossible to counter.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The next Theo Fleury...

They are extremely different as players and I'm not sure Caufield ever turns out as good, but sure. I'll admit that I'd take a Theo Fleury (minus the drug problems) on my team any day and be pleased with it.

Don't laught, it is very possible. They have similar shooting arsenal.

I disagree massively with what you've posted, with all due respect.

Joe is a HHOFer and probably amongst the top 30-40 players who ever graced the NHL (#32 actually based on HfBoards' History of Hockey board). He's probably also my favorite player of all if I must be frank as I grew up watching him dominate much of the time and loved seeing him in action (except against Montreal).

Sakic played the game relying on his all-world hockey sense, excellent skating, crazy cardio, high intensity and efficiency, tremendous puck-protection and lower-body strength, insane skill level, elite playmaking, was amongst the best in the NHL possession-wise for years, owns one of the Game's all-time best wristers and probably the single best release in history, all-around great arsenal of shots (slapper is less impressive but his wrister makes up for it a lot and that was what he used the most by far), great two-way ability, a seemingly preternatural ability to find ''weak'' points to attack in the offensive zone with his (all-star) teammates, was clutch as all hell, as well as a true-blue professional and gentleman to boot. What is even more impressive than all of that is his marvelous durability and the unbelievable level of play he maintained even 20+ years after he had been drafted by the Nordiques.

For a long time he was the single best captain in the NHL and had intangibles up the wazoo, enough to give Toews a run for his money.

Now that I've said that, I believe you can understand the type of struggle Caufield will have trying to match even just a fraction of Sakic's level of play, nevermind actually living up to his entire legacy (1600+ points, more than PPG in the playoffs over his entire career with 188 points in 172 games, many individual awards, etc.).

Outside of achievements and accolades, if we only look at Caufield's attributes as a hockey player, it is clear that, while extremely impressive aside from his height, strength, and defensive play, these attributes and skills still fall far short of the absolute beast that Sakic was, and that's no slight to Caufield at all.

On a personal note, I love Caufield as a player, and the Flyers will regret having handed him to us in a couple of years I'm sure, but he's not gonna be Joe Sakic and he also has a 99,99% chance of not being an HHOFer. That, however, doesn't mean he can't be an absolute beauty of a hockey player for us. With that in mind, let us tamper our expectations, watch how Caufield develops from here and sincerely cheer for him from the bottom of our hearts on his pursuit of his dream, as we must do with all our prospects.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
His goalscoring managed to go underrated during the draft season because instead of eating goaltenders hopes and dreams with overwhelming power like Laine. ''Will he be able to do that against the pros?'' they said.

We'll see, but I'm betting that yes, he will.

That plus the fact he played with Hughes I think worked against him in terms of general perception. I was super night on him prior to the draft, and while I thought we had no chance of drafting him (he crushed the U18s), I was hoping his size and the Hughes factor would scare teams off.

Glad it worked out for us.

Reactions: Redux91

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That plus the fact he played with Hughes I think worked against him in terms of general perception. I was super night on him prior to the draft, and while I thought we had no chance of drafting him (he crushed the U18s), I was hoping his size and the Hughes factor would scare teams off.

Glad it worked out for us.

It was just absurd. He's quite good in all aspects of hockey, but because of his size and Hughes everything was downgraded, most absurdly his shot.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It was just absurd. He's quite good in all aspects of hockey, but because of his size and Hughes everything was downgraded, most absurdly his shot.

Let us not forget that position played a big part in having him be available at our pick. Many of the teams before us picked guys that play more sought after position. Size was obviously a huge factor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce