Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We won't find common ground on Galchenyuk, because IMO he was just not a smart hockey player.

In Caufield's case, though, yes. Rounding out his game should absolutely not be a priority right now. I hope I exaggerate the meaning of this quote. They've spoken a lot about a the need of him getting puck touches, getting his timing right etc. Hopefully I'm misinterpreting the whole situation.
We don't need to agree on how good Chuck could've been.

But I think we should agree on the following.

1. We did a horrible job developing Galchenyuk.
2. We played inferior players in front of him.
3. We constantly moved him around.
4. We did much to destroy his confidence.

I'm not saying that the same thing is going to happen to CC but... our track record isn't good. And I really hope we don't try to turn him into something he's not. Let him play HIS game. We can teach him things as he develops but let him develop his confidence and offense first.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

I'm not saying that the same thing is going to happen to CC but... our track record isn't good. And I really hope we don't try to turn him into something he's not. Let him play HIS game. We can teach him things as he develops but let him develop his confidence and offense first.
you dont build winners by telling them concentrate on your weakness.
You build a winner by telling them to excel in their strength and control and shine.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I've talked about it a few times. When you looked at the offseason acquisitions, none were about helping the PK. The 2 most used forwards last season were Danault and Byron (by a large margin) and we already had a weak PK so it's easy to be worst this season. And I'm not talking about Weber vs Savard yet.

That said. Some teams have their best forwards playing on the PK and they often do well. I'm not sure if Caufield should play on it. I don't think we're playing him in his strengths

Not to derail from Caufield but MTLs PK has been in the bottom half the last 3 yrs, with or without Byron.

It was almost as bad last year in the regular season as well

Reactions: ArtPeur

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
When do the attitude problem rumours and articles start coming out? Seriously though, hopefully this is better than it sounds because I can see the next alienated young player in development.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
They are putting him in the bumper spot, so I would say they are making it harder for him to come out of it than it needs to be.
The WJC coach did the same thing. I don't know why they all have this weird '' let's put Caufield close to the net on the PP so he can't use his amazing one timer'' fixation.

Reactions: Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Caufield looks kinda lost out there. It's pretty much the first time in his hockey career at any level that he's had a dry scoring spell and you can tell he doesn't quite know how to react. This is where the coaches need to come in and help a young player find solutions. Hopefuly the organization is working with him.

That's not true, he's had stretches in rookie NCAA and WJC u20 where he had struggles.

I'm glad he's in AHL, I have confidence he can put it together and once it clicks he's going to be goal a game in AHL like Pacioretty was before final callup.

Mediocre since 93

Apr 25, 2019
I honestly believe they should trade Caufield now if they plan on keeping this regime or making the next GM someone from internally. They have no idea how to develop players with skill like him and will just end up lowering his trade value over the course of the next 3-4 years. It's better just to cut your losses now and move him while he still has value, they're gunna try turning this dude into a TWF for no reason at all and can't even put him on the right side on a PP. It's comical.

Reactions: amethyst and cphabs

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He hasn't scored a single goal yet this season. Once that first one goes in, I think the flood gates open. Let him score 10 goals in the AHL before you recall him (it's an arbitrary number -- don't @ me).

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012

Copy and paste for KK lol

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The most frustrating thing is there's players available who were easily projectable to do what they end up wanting KK/Caufield to do. We passed on Tkachuk to pick Kotkaniemi only to try and turn him into a gritty netfront guy. We passed on Newhook to pick Caufield only to ask Caufield to be a more responsible two way guy and distributor. It is nonsensical.

Like that's really what it comes down to. If they don't think Caufield should be placed in a shooting position on the PP and have his game designed around his shot, then they're either morons incapable of evaluating the player correctly, or they're evaluating the player correctly and made a horrendous pick.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The most frustrating thing is there's players available who were easily projectable to do what they end up wanting KK/Caufield to do. We passed on Tkachuk to pick Kotkaniemi only to try and turn him into a gritty netfront guy. We passed on Newhook to pick Caufield only to ask Caufield to be a more responsible two way guy and distributor. It is nonsensical.

Like that's really what it comes down to. If they don't think Caufield should be placed in a shooting position on the PP and have his game designed around his shot, then they're either morons incapable of evaluating the player correctly, or they're evaluating the player correctly and made a horrendous pick.

Habs definitely weren't playing to KK or Caufield's strengths but they were trying to teach them things that are teachable. You can teach a guy like Caufield how to play a two-way game but you can't teach a guy like Newhook to shoot like Caufield.

Nothing wrong with teaching these kids to play a more complete game but you also have to let them use their natural skills to thrive in this league...habs just need the right coach

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
"Caufield would have a few practice days to take a step back and start working on specific technical aspects of his game. Rocket coach Jean-François Houle wanted, among other things, to encourage Caufield to think beyond his offensive game, and to impart to him that good defensive play often leads to scoring chances."

Oh Boy ...
Lmfao

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hi everyone; can the experts here explain to me how spending a few months learning new skills ruins an athelete? We’ve seen all these kids come up 3 years too early for a decade now. What am I missing with Caulfield? He’ll lose his wrister? Will only be able and pivot left now? What is it?

Jul 6, 2016
Copy and paste for KK lol
Galchy ruined his career by his off ice behaviours. And he has limitations on ice too. KK was at best a 10th pick in round one, not a 3rd overall.

We will see if Caufield is more than a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
"Caufield would have a few practice days to take a step back and start working on specific technical aspects of his game. Rocket coach Jean-François Houle wanted, among other things, to encourage Caufield to think beyond his offensive game, and to impart to him that good defensive play often leads to scoring chances."

Oh Boy ...
:pullhair::pullhair:

:surrender:surrender

Reactions: Gravity

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
There is nothing wrong with suggesting forcing turnovers leads to scoring chances

during 5on 5 play at the game last night caufield was lacklustre. During PP houle has this crazy vision of keeping him in the bumper which makes no sense he’s better on the half wall and when he ended up there he immediately showed offensive flair. I think both sides (player and team) are screwing around right now and we may not see caufield back till next year

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad