Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It shouldve been but its not, and we need to stop providing extrinsic factors to a very intrisic problem. It is not outside of Coles control, unless it is injury related, which as I said before, I hope and probably think it is.

Its not luck, its not team related, its not because hes trying to become a playmaker, its not because hes some two-way wizard. It’s because he hasnt been the rocket-richard shooting threat that he should be. Punto.
The fact is it’s a disappointing season from that standpoint. As good as the play is, the goals aren’t there. Why? Don’t know and neither do you.

The more important question is whether or not it will improve in the future. I would bet heavily that the answer would be yes. All the indicators suggest it’s a fluke year.

However… if we’re sitting here nex January and he’s at like 8 percent, then I’d be far more concerned.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The fact is it’s a disappointing season from that standpoint. As good as the play is, the goals aren’t there. Why? Don’t know and neither do you.

The more important question is whether or not it will improve in the future. I would bet heavily that the answer would be yes. All the indicators suggest it’s a fluke year.

However… if we’re sitting here nex January and he’s at like 8 percent, then I’d be far more concerned.
Yes the logical explanation implies injury. Thats why Ive been easy on him for the first 60 ish games. Hes not getting much better looks shooting wise though, that hurts.

I think we can rule out the confidence part, he took some of the worse shot ive seen just last night after a goal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The information is in the posts ive made, it might be a good exercise to come up with your own conclusions.

Sample size or not, theyre both over 60 games. The point of all my posts is that Im commenting on how disappointing he has been THIS YEAR. I think you really need to drop the Dunning-Kruger and try to actually debate here, you are not some hive-minded overlord, you dont know more than anyone and you need to stop debating from a positiong of perceived superiority. You'll learn more things by being receptive, its one of the great things about having an open mind.

Theres also the fact Boldys outproduced Caufield at every point of their pro careers so i dont know where you want to go with the sample size thing.

The bottom line and tl;dr is that we need to see more production from Cole, especially in the goal columns and merely taking more shots is not going to cut it. Not while hes the 2nd highest paid forward on the team.

Not much to debate.

You are disappointed. That's your perogative.

The standards & expectations you have are not reflective of a quality player assessment (by quality, I refer back to context, or the absence thereof, frequently evident in your posts in this thread).

Go on being disappointed. Is what it is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not much to debate.

You are disappointed. That's your perogative.

The standards & expectations you have are not reflective of a quality player assessment (by quality, I refer back to context, or the absence thereof, frequently evident in your posts in this thread).

Go on being disappointed. Is what it is.
So Caufields season went according to your expectations? Youre not disappointed ? You believe, when compared to his comparables (either historically or age-wise), that he sits better today than he did in september?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes the logical explanation implies injury. Thats why Ive been easy on him for the first 60 ish games. Hes not getting much better looks shooting wise though, that hurts.

I think we can rule out the confidence part, he took some of the worse shot ive seen just last night after a goal.

Case in point.

Is Dach a disappointment because he only scored 2 points this year?

Injuries are a part of the game and play an incredibly influential role in performance.

There's a nuance between being disappointed "for" a player and being disappointed "in" a player.

I'm disappointed for CC that his shoulder injury seems to have affected his shot.

And, both encouraged and appreciative of how well he has responded in posting a career best season without being able to rely on the effectiveness of his biggest attribute.

By any sound player performance & development assessment I've seen, that's a huge positive...

Reactions: SlafySZN

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So Caufields season went according to your expectations? Youre not disappointed ? You believe, when compared to his comparables (either historically or age-wise), that he sits better today than he did in september?

Perhaps if you read the posts you reply to before replying, things would be clearer :dunno:

Already stated, to you, that this is not the case.

I expected that healthy he could hit 50 as soon as this year.

With last year's shooting % & this year's shot volume, he'd be on pace for just that.

If shot selection were the culprit/major change, then perhaps disappointment in the player would be more appropriate. That does not appear to be the case.

Reactions: Guy Larose

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes Dach had a disapponting season because its not a matter of if hes good enough, its a matter of if hes healthy enough.

Caufield had a disappointing season and just had a "career year" because hes missed several games in his career.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Probably mentioned, but I was listening to the Godin and Basu podcast. Basu said he did research into Caufield's injury (last year) and surgery and said the recovery time to be back to normal is around 14 months, so next season hopefully he's back to wiring pucks like we know.

I'm not worried about my little boy Caufield. He will bounce back next year with a so much better season. Caufield is the lasted thing we should be worried about. He have everything to become that 1st line sniper aka Mike Cammalleri. We all miss Cammalleri, we have a better version with Cole Caufield.

Be patient everyone and next year, Caufield will prove that he is a top scorer.

Reactions: Pomee and Habs4Life

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Probably mentioned, but I was listening to the Godin and Basu podcast. Basu said he did research into Caufield's injury (last year) and surgery and said the recovery time to be back to normal is around 14 months, so next season hopefully he's back to wiring pucks like we know.
I've heard some claim it's even up to 18 months before reaching full strength very similar to a knee.
But that was a number of years ago and the technology only gets better.
Not only with the surgical technique but also with rehabilitation.
Anyway Caufield's shot doesn't concern me at all but his board play does.
Hopefully he comes back next year and is able to win more board battles with confidence.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

This is common knowledge in sports. Pitchers in baseball lose speed for a couple of years then start throwing heat again eventually, sometimes moreso than before.

It’s not lack of luck or him playing a two way game. Those are things Marty smartly said to alleviate pressure from him this season.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
I'm not worried about my little boy Caufield. He will bounce back next year with a so much better season. Caufield is the lasted thing we should be worried about. He have everything to become that 1st line sniper aka Mike Cammalleri. We all miss Cammalleri, we have a better version with Cole Caufield.

Be patient everyone and next year, Caufield will prove that he is a top scorer.
Takes a while to get over a shoulder injury. His shot will come back next year and he will score a lot. I like how he's made his game more versatile, by being more of a playmaker this year. A weapon nobody seen coming.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Like I have said Alex Debrincat scored 18 goals the following season after scoring 41 the year before. I am not worried about Caufield. We simply need to surround the top line with better players.
I can't remember ever seeing such horrible bottom 6 players, maybe the Habs of the late 90's had similar players on their bottom lines...I can't remember

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Dach is more concerning than disappointing, i'm disappointed he's not playing, i'm concerned that we keep thinking we have our top 2 centers when one of them cannot open a can of bubly without parts of his body exploding in the process
I agree , some think we will win a cup with suzuki and dach as 1 and 2c apparently

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Like I have said Alex Debrincat scored 18 goals the following season after scoring 41 the year before. I am not worried about Caufield. We simply need to surround the top line with better players.
I can't remember ever seeing such horrible bottom 6 players, maybe the Habs of the late 90's had similar players on their bottom lines...I can't remember
His shot last night off the post showed more zip than we've seen in quite some time.

Reactions: SlafySZN and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

EP was targeted more than once Suzuki got him a couple of times also.
The physical play our first line is showing over the course of the last couple of months is encouraging.
I absolutely love when they get Xhekaj out there with them and they even had both him and Guhle on together a couple of times.
Cole is never going to be a great board player but we are seeing him take the body more and his shot is definitely getting stronger.
Pretty decent clues he's feeling more confident with that shoulder.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
EP was targeted more than once Suzuki got him a couple of times also.
The physical play our first line is showing over the course of the last couple of months is encouraging.
I absolutely love when they get Xhekaj out there with them and they even had both him and Guhle on together a couple of times.
Cole is never going to be a great board player but we are seeing him take the body more and his shot is definitely getting stronger.
Pretty decent clues he's feeling more confident with that shoulder.
He will have the summer to find his velocity back on his shot and practice his accuracy to where it was before.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Caufield is a 50-60 point player until proven otherwise , his goal totals are low this year but if you were expecting 40 goals and 70 points that's on you guys.

Suzuki proved that he is more than a 60 point player , I expect Caufield to do so as well as he matures and the team around him gets better. Not very worried about him. He is still young. He will improve.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Caufield is a 50-60 point player until proven otherwise , his goal totals are low this year but if you were expecting 40 goals and 70 points that's on you guys.
There was every reason to believe he’d be at least a 40 goal guy. He came into this year having scored 48 in his last 82.

And even this year it’s almost unfathonmable that he’s not already at 30+ goals. On a normal year he’d be pacing for 40-50.
Suzuki proved that he is more than a 60 point player , I expect Caufield to do so as well as he matures and the team around him gets better. Not very worried about him. He is still young. He will improve.
Honestly, what you’re seeing play wise is hopefully what we see going forward. Everything is good except the shooting percentage. He’s on track for 320 shots. That’s absolutely fantastic.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well he's quite likely to prove he's a 60-70 point player by the end of this season.

Really the big question mark isn't whether he can get back to scoring 40+ goals it's whether when he does will he be able to maintain the 40 assists he's pacing for this year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well he's quite likely to prove he's a 60-70 point player by the end of this season.

Really the big question mark isn't whether he can get back to scoring 40+ goals it's whether when he does will he be able to maintain the 40 assists he's pacing for this year.
Yeah he should hit 60.
It's too bad our scoring and PP have totally dried up. 70 would have been awesome.

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Btw way,

Look no further than Ovechkin to see what happens when the shooting percentage normalizes.

IMG_8042.jpeg

Couldn’t score a goal for his life but now is on fire to end the year. I just can’t believe that we will see this kind of season from CC again.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad