Cole Cassels (MOD Warning Post #417)

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Cole was always going to be a project. This year was certainly disappointing though, even with that in mind. Hope he works hard over the summer and makes serious strides in his development next season.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think he'll figure it out but then again I'm probably his biggest fan on this board dating back to his draft +1 year so I might be biased.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I am still optimistic that he will have a better year next season. It sucks that he struggled so much in the AHL thus far, but there is still hope.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Skating.
#1 death knell of any skilled prospect unable to make it.

It's the only reason I'm hesitant with my excitement with Boeser... but remain optimistic.

It's unfortunate because Cassels appeared to have every other tool in the box in Jr.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I guess he's not making the NHL after all.

Sure, numbers don't tell the whole story, but 18 points in two full seasons is brutal.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I guess he's not making the NHL after all.

Sure, numbers don't tell the whole story, but 18 points in two full seasons is brutal.

If he can ever develop any offensive game or start playing physical without altering his defensive game, he probably would be in the NHL. Of course either thing happening isnt too likely. Maybe a different coach will help him but he is probably a long shot prospect at this point.

Malhotra being a developmental coach could help Cassels more than any prospects so it will be interesting to see if there are changes to his game next season or if he stays in the bottom 6 in Utica.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I remember posts like this from a couple of years back...

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Shinkaruk McCann Vrbata
Kenins Cassels Hansen
Gaunce Bonino Dorsett

w00t w00t... Cup!!!!

:yo: :amazed: :naughty:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'll give Cassels another year. His first AHL season was essentially lost to injury and he did make significant jumps in his OHL career. The road to the NHL was always going to be a hard one for Cassels. Even his father projected him to be nothing more than a 3rd line C in the NHL (which you would assume is the optimistic projection). I honestly thought Cassels would at least be a productive AHL player. There's just too much there. It makes no sense that a player who had 49 and 51 assists his last two seasons in the OHL would average 5 assists in his first two AHL seasons.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I really liked Cassels in Junior but yeah he's almost a non prospect at this point. Very unfortunate how he lost 2 consecutive off seasons to injury and illness before turning pro.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
100%

Let's not call Benning a "Draft Genius" quite yet.

Actually, Cassels was a Gillis pick....but just goes to show that you can't really rely on what happens in the Memorial Cup very often.

That Oshawa team, which beat McDavid's Erie Otters and Draisaitl's Kelowna Rockets in winning the Memorial Cup, had guys like Cassels, Michael Dal Colle, Tobias Lindberg, Anthony Cirelli and Hunter Smith...and so far none of them have done much as pros, despite being high picks in a few cases.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I think an average drafter is currently debatable. He may have messed up our 2 highest picks in a generation. (Since 1999)

He messed up on JV, the jury is out on the other player. Can we at least wait and see what kind of a pro Juolevi turns out to be, before we crown that rat in Calgary?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I remember posts like this from a couple of years back...

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Shinkaruk McCann Vrbata
Kenins Cassels Hansen
Gaunce Bonino Dorsett

w00t w00t... Cup!!!!

:yo: :amazed: :naughty:
People still do it and will continue to do it.

I remember having arguments with some friends who were penciling Cassels in on the 3rd line straight out of junior. Some people don't understand how difficult it is for most players to make the jump from juniors into the NHL.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Actually, Cassels was a Gillis pick....but just goes to show that you can't really rely on what happens in the Memorial Cup very often.

The point being made there is that kids can look exceptional while still playing in the lower levels, but hit a huge stumbling block when they turn pro. As Benning has only been on board for 3 drafts, most of his draft picks are still in the 'Cassels-hype' range. Gaudette, Lockwood, Brisebois, etc.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

That Oshawa team, which beat McDavid's Erie Otters and Draisaitl's Kelowna Rockets in winning the Memorial Cup, had guys like Cassels, Michael Dal Colle, Tobias Lindberg, Anthony Cirelli and Hunter Smith...and so far none of them have done much as pros, despite being high picks in a few cases.

Yep, and that wasn't the point I was going for.

It's that everyone is insanely overly optimistic about all of the recent picks and find every opportunity to hype up anyone playing decently before they even make the pro level. We were calling Cassels and Subban massive steals for 2-3 years after they were drafted, and in all reality they are just normal mid round picks that probably wont make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad