Cole Cassels (MOD Warning Post #417)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yep, and that wasn't the point I was going for.

It's that everyone is insanely overly optimistic about all of the recent picks and find every opportunity to hype up anyone playing decently before they even make the pro level. We were calling Cassels and Subban massive steals for 2-3 years after they were drafted, and in all reality they are just normal mid round picks that probably wont make it.

I wouldn't go that far, to have these players excelling at this point still makes them very good picks for the rounds they were selected in.

You just have to realize that they are still long shots to make it as decent NHLers, and until they do at this point Gaudette/Brisebois/etc aren't really better then Cassels/Subban/etc were.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, to have these players excelling at this point still makes them very good picks for the rounds they were selected in.

You just have to realize that they are still long shots to make it as decent NHLers, and until they do at this point Gaudette/Brisebois/etc aren't really better then Cassels/Subban/etc were.

thats just flat out wrong. Brisebois and Gaudette are way better and its not even close.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
Why? Assuming we are talking about Brisebois and Gaudette vs Cassels and Subban before they hit pro.

I assume he is saying Cassels and subban vs brisebois and gaudette D+1 year are at the same level.

so gaudette=cassels
and brisebois=subban?

I mean I think D+1 gaudette and cassels are close looking at the numbers but points are much harder to come by in the NCAA especially at 19, your one of the youngest where in the OHL you would be one of the oldest, gaudette>cassels.

brisebois is a rock on D, smart, creates offence, everything you want in a defensive prospect. Subbans has always been a D-man who is playing forward and puts up numbers, not smart just...Dynamic with the inability to play defence in the OHL (when he was D+1). brisebois>>subban. I think brisebois going to push for a roster spot next year he's that good, where subban is just to weak defensively and to small to ever play D in the NHL. The best thing he will ever be is a PPQB that barely plays the rest of the game and that was easy to see even in '14

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
thats just flat out wrong. Brisebois and Gaudette are way better and its not even close.

Why? Assuming we are talking about Brisebois and Gaudette vs Cassels and Subban before they hit pro.

Oh not at all. Were you around these boards in Subban/Cassels D+1 and D+2 seasons? Subban put up a fine D+1 and an insanely good D+2 where he scored 25 goals as a defenceman. Then has put up two very solid 36 point AHL seasons, but somehow hasn't gotten a call up on a goal starved D-core, and has largely been pushed to the side while they hype up Juolevi and Briesbois (Benning picks)

Cassels went from a 43 point draft year to a 73 point and 17 point in 12 playoff game campaign, then followed that up with an insane 81 point in 54 game and 31 playoff points in 21 games, plus a memorial cup championship.

People were hyping them to exactly the same level as a Gaudette type.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I assume he is saying Cassels and subban vs brisebois and gaudette D+1 year are at the same level.

so gaudette=cassels
and brisebois=subban?

I mean I think D+1 gaudette and cassels are close looking at the numbers but points are much harder to come by in the NCAA especially at 19, your one of the youngest where in the OHL you would be one of the oldest, gaudette>cassels.

brisebois is a rock on D, smart, creates offence, everything you want in a defensive prospect. Subbans has always been a D-man who is playing forward and puts up numbers, not smart just...Dynamic with the inability to play defence in the OHL (when he was D+1). brisebois>>subban. I think brisebois going to push for a roster spot next year he's that good, where subban is just to weak defensively and to small to ever play D in the NHL. The best thing he will ever be is a PPQB that barely plays the rest of the game and that was easy to see even in '14

It's not so much a direct comparison as it is a ballpark one, simply due to proximity where Cassels/Subban are the top mid F/D picks from the 2013 draft and Brisebois/Gaudette from the 2015 draft. Subban in particular is at a huge disadvantage simply due to his size, Brisebois was picked almost 50 spots higher and without that disadvantage should be the better prospect.

The point is more about pointing out the recency bias. If you think Brisebois is going to step right into the NHL I'd say just watch and learn.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think Brisbois is all that more highly regarded than Subban was turning pro. If you take into account draft positional differences they are more or less equal.

Gaudette is certainly considered a much higher class of prospect than Cassels was coming out of juniors. I mean Gaudette's progression in the NCAA is actually exciting. We're thinking of the possibility that Gaudette can step in and soon be a top 6 forward. Cassels' progression was promising but nothing special. His claim to fame was the work he did containing McDavid. Other than that, even his dad projected Cassels to be a 3rd line C in the NHL. Cole's offensive production in the OHL was actually average, but because his father was Andrew, we saw his assists totals and thought he had more offensive potential than he realistically did.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't think Brisbois is all that more highly regarded than Subban was turning pro. If you take into account draft positional differences they are more or less equal.

Gaudette is certainly considered a much higher class of prospect than Cassels was coming out of juniors. I mean Gaudette's progression in the NCAA is actually exciting. We're thinking of the possibility that Gaudette can step in and soon be a top 6 forward. Cassels' progression was promising but nothing special. His claim to fame was the work he did containing McDavid. Other than that, even his dad projected Cassels to be a 3rd line C in the NHL. Cole's offensive production in the OHL was actually average, but because his father was Andrew, we saw his assists totals and thought he had more offensive potential than he realistically did.

Cassels had fantastic progression in the OHL. His play against McDavid was a side story that got blew out of proportion. 81 points in 54 games and 31 points in 21 playoff games in a season where he not only was playing through a serious injury (foot, leg, I don't remember) and had been unable to train in the offseason due to a terrible case of mono.

Everything was there minus the skating and it seems like it'll be a problem he can't overcome.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
It's not so much a direct comparison as it is a ballpark one, simply due to proximity where Cassels/Subban are the top mid F/D picks from the 2013 draft and Brisebois/Gaudette from the 2015 draft. Subban in particular is at a huge disadvantage simply due to his size, Brisebois was picked almost 50 spots higher and without that disadvantage should be the better prospect.

The point is more about pointing out the recency bias. If you think Brisebois is going to step right into the NHL I'd say just watch and learn.

Ahh my mistake then, I see what your saying with the ballpark comparison.

I don't know if Brisebois is going to make the team next year but he will definitely make a strong case in training camp. He's better then you think.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cassels was an excellent prospect coming out of junior and definitely comparable to Gaudette.

It wasn't remotely just 'shutting down McDavid'. The guy scored 31 points in 21 games to lead his team to a Memorial Cup championship WHILE shutting down McDavid and the like. His performance was absolutely massive at both ends of the rink.

I for the life of me can't understand what's happened to his playmaking ability. This player was one of the best sideboard PP QBs in the CHL at age 19 and had vision coming out of his ears. He looked almost like he could walk into an NHL PP and contribute immediately. That he's recorded 5 assists in each of his two full AHL seasons is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Cassels was an excellent prospect coming out of junior and definitely comparable to Gaudette.

It wasn't remotely just 'shutting down McDavid'. The guy scored 31 points in 21 games to lead his team to a Memorial Cup championship WHILE shutting down McDavid and the like. His performance was absolutely massive at both ends of the rink.

I for the life of me can't understand what's happened to his playmaking ability. This player was one of the best sideboard PP QBs in the CHL at age 19 and had vision coming out of his ears. He looked almost like he could walk into an NHL PP and contribute immediately. That he's recorded 5 assists in each of his two full AHL seasons is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen.

The Canucks drafted him, we cant have nice things

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From what I can gather, Cassals has been on of Green's pet project players.....first season basically a write-off with injuries and inconsistency....remember some Comet posters saying he belonged in the ECHL, and probably did.

But has shown some improvement in 'year two' and next year is basically a 'make or break year' as a prospect. Knock on Cassals has always been his skating, and unless it improves, he likely tops out as an AHL player...but he's obviously a 'character kid' and it won't be for a lack of effort that he doesn't make the next level.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops

At the very least he looked like a player that was going to be a great AHL player.......

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver

Couldn't you just chalk that up to skating issues though?

If you can't get to where you need to be on the ice to make things happen, all the vision in the world isn't gonna get you far.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Cassels had fantastic progression in the OHL. His play against McDavid was a side story that got blew out of proportion. 81 points in 54 games and 31 points in 21 playoff games in a season where he not only was playing through a serious injury (foot, leg, I don't remember) and had been unable to train in the offseason due to a terrible case of mono.

Everything was there minus the skating and it seems like it'll be a problem he can't overcome.

I'm not saying Cassels wasn't a good prospect coming out of juniors. I think his progression was good but nothing spectacular until his playoff performance which did open a lot of eyes. But that was also his final year of juniors. But even with the progression that he had the projection was more or less "this guy is going to be an NHL player" rather than "this guy is going to be a top 6 player or elite 3rd line C." Gaudette, on the other hand, his progression is much more exciting. The production he put up this past season isn't just good progression his production is amongst the best in the league and is projected to be a top 6 player if he makes it to the NHL. There is a difference in upside between the two which is my point.

I can't understand it either. I mean the Comets are a low scoring team but still... his dad can probably lace up the skates and put up more assists than that.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Couldn't you just chalk that up to skating issues though?

If you can't get to where you need to be on the ice to make things happen, all the vision in the world isn't gonna get you far.

Kind of surprising to me for the son of an NHL player (one that was a solid 2nd line centre) who is of similar size, has such poor skating.

As an expected checker, in today's NHL, he has to be able to keep up and he isn't able to right now. Unless he is able to pick up his skating, I don't see him in the NHL. He was a guy who was realistically going to need to spend his entire ELC in the minors to work on his game. Has the IQ to play, but he needs the skating to be up to par.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->